Holy Chip Speeds, Batman!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
IBM has created a 350GHz silicon transistor, and says it could hit the commercial market at speeds of 150 Ghz in two years.
IBM Source

Intel is working on Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography.

Able to keep pace with Moore's Law, EUV lithography can potentially produce processors with speeds in excess of 10 GHz and memory chips with storage capacities that greatly exceed those of today.
Intel Source

Aunty Em

I surrender! I can't keep up with the way processors are speeding up. :(
My computer's feeling positively geriatric. When I built it a year ago it was well in there, but now...

brainsoft

I know what won't...

Wait until you get Doom III on there, I think it just might run pretty decent on a 150ghz processor (with corrisponding graphics card of course. It certainly brings my system to it's knees, especially when I start throwing around light globes as alternate light sources (damn zombies like to hide in the darkest shadows, those bastards). 1fps is pretty good with a few light globes thrown around... :p

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Most of those ultra-fast transistor announcements you see are suited for communications equipment, not CPU or general purpose IC's. I think some telco equip. now has ~10GHz transistor speeds.

Aunty Em

I can't play fast and furious games :( I get attacks of really bad vertigo (paroxsisamal positional vertigo) and they make me severely motion sick! I'm the only person I know who throws up while sitting in the same spot and it isn't funny! :(

I'm in the market for an upgrade after Cristmas. New mobo, chip and ddr memory should do it. And probably upgrade my soundcard - audigy platinum - I just bought a new video card so I'll leave that till 2004.

Then again I might just replace the rest ... I've seen this really neat aluminium case... cut out sides ... neon lighting... an enermax (silent)psu... copper heatsink... round ribbon cables ... bigger hard-drive ... my cd-rw and dvd are adequate, new speakers though ...probably jazz ... the sub's really small and cute :) ... then I'll reinstall my sound studio and we're away :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've heard of this with other people as well, fortunately, I've never had a problem with it. I'm just wondering, do you get motion sickness in cars and such too?

Aunty Em

Yes unless I'm driving or sitting with my eyes glued to the road ahead. And I have to be able to feel the road so very sophisticated suspension systems are out. Ditto for trains and coaches - especially coaches.

That's one of the reasons I rode a motorcycle for so long, I never get motion sick on a bike as you move it. Obviously the synchronisation between what I see and my inner ear is vital.

Oh and if I'm on a ship I have to be on deck, preferably at the bow - so cruises are out. :( Funnily enough though, I'm OK flying? ?(

HomeLAN

Don't even talk to me about sea travel. A new experience in illness.

When I'm flying, I feel every little adjustment the pilot makes. A 3 degree bank feels to me like he's standing us up on one wing.

Aunty Em

I think perhaps with me the flying thing may have something to do with cabin pressure, because cabins are only pressurised to 8000 ft. But then again I also got altitude sickness in Snowdonia - 2 - 3000 ft? ?( But I was driving up and down the mountains at the time - maybe it was the speed of the change? I live at sea-level - a 50 ft bump is a mountain round here. :) Well maybe the highest point - Colchester Castle - is about 150 ft above sea level.