holy krap running hurts

2minkey

bootlicker
went running today for the first time since... i was 14 and had knee problems at soccer camp.

i currently spend an hour a day on a spinning bike so i'm in decent shape but... running hurts.

i went 3.5 miles (my house to the lake, around the lake, and back) and i walked about half of it. seems to really hit different parts of the legs than biking does.

i think i made the mistake of going too far/hard initially.

i wonder when i'll be able to do the 3.5 miles and run the whole way... running the lake twice seems ideal for a workout length (~7ish miles, perhaps an hour) but i'm guessing it will take several months to get to that.

ug.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If humans were meant to run, Henry Ford wouldn't have invented the assemebly line.

Never had a taste for running but always loved bikes.

Winky

You go Jim Fixx!

Why are you running?
Is someone chasing you?
A girl perhaps?
Why not stop and let her catch you?

Dave

I had the bright idea to start running again last summer.
Ran about 7 houses down the street, walked for twice that many, turned around and ran for 2 more houses, then gave up and walked home.
Haven't tried running again since. Much happier walking.

BeardofPants

Bah, running suxs. The BF is really into it. I prefer cardio at the gym that doesn't involve running. Or pump class.

MrBishop

Cycling and cross-country skiing for me...far less high-impact than running. My knees were having a hard time before the last time I messed them up 2 winters ago - now, it'd be an exercise in torture.

MrBishop

Thought about switching to something with less impact?
I've blown both knees...had surgery and several casts over the years. It's simply not an option for me anymore.

ResearchMonkey

I've never enjoyed sport running either, too tough on the knees. I tried it for a bit with my wife and found what I already knew to be true. Although I haven't biked much in the last few years I used to do both road and off road long distance. Before I got married I used bike-pack several times a year.

We are talking taking up swimming this spring. For exercise nothing beats it.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah i've been doing a lot of other stuff so i think i just want to push things to the next level. if i can make myself run - the most despicable of all activities - i can make myself do anything.

running seems to kick the shit out of me in ways that other things just don't, but i'm not really all that worried about impact to my body, because other than a little occasional soreness i think i'm damned near invicible at this point.

swimming is okay too, but i don't think it's nearly as difficult or intense as running. but, then, i used to be a competitive swimmer. AA times and all that. i was such a little fag ha ha.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Isn't swimming supposed to be the most thorough workout you can get?

2minkey

bootlicker
perhaps. but it sure doesn't seem to have the same level of impact and stress on the body.

well my legs are still sore. maybe bish is right. perhaps it's time for me to dust off the water wings and go get in the pool with the local elderly at the YMCA.

H2O boy

not a runner at all

the most successful workoout type thing i ever did regularly was raquetball. marathon sessions, maybe 2 hours or longer three times a week. i lost a lot of weight doing that

Dave

I love playing racquetball. Haven't played in years though. The local gym has only one court that is always booked so its not worth joining.

BeardofPants

I went for a run today as xmas hols have started & I no longer have access to the free gym at work on the base. Went ok, ran 5.5km (3.41 mi) @ about 10kph. Still don't like running, but didn't suck as much as I thought it would (but I didn't push myself too strenuously).