homosexual marriage and why it is morally permissible

RDX

Squiggy said:
Not saying that at all. What i AM saying is, if that person truely has no idea that he/she is doing something wrong, he/she has not sinned....

What if they do something that they personally believe is not wrong, but is clearly condoned by society? The person honestly believes that they have done nothing wrong. It opens up the ballgame to everyone having a different set of morals (which is fine), but not only that but everyone could not be held accountable to anyone elses morals. If a person thinks that genocide is right and morally justified (and there are people in the world that think this), then they are just fine to carry on with it?!? They truly believe that they have done nothing wrong.

It boils down to the idea that everyone can do as he or she pleases as long as it fits into their own personal moral code.

chcr

Too cute for words
as far as I know, everyone sins. it's inevitable.
I used to wonder if I was the only one who found that so remarkably convenient. I've since learned that I am far from the only one.

freako104

RDX said:
What if they do something that they personally believe is not wrong, but is clearly condoned by society? The person honestly believes that they have done nothing wrong. It opens up the ballgame to everyone having a different set of morals (which is fine), but not only that but everyone could not be held accountable to anyone elses morals. If a person thinks that genocide is right and morally justified (and there are people in the world that think this), then they are just fine to carry on with it?!? They truly believe that they have done nothing wrong.

It boils down to the idea that everyone can do as he or she pleases as long as it fits into their own personal moral code.

there are a lot of things condoned by society that many do not see anything wrong with. rape murder molestation I say is wrong but there are those who act on it and do it. and I will sya this flat out. as long as you arent hurting people(unless in S/M setting which has rules in and of itself anyway) I dont see whats wrong with it.

Inkara1

I should point out that "thesis" has two separate meanings, at least in my copy of Webster's New World Dictionary, 1990 edition. the first definition is: a proposition to be defended in argument. The second definition: a research paper, especially one written by a candidate for a master's degree.

I never heard the essay referred to as the latter.

RDX

there are a lot of things condoned by society that many do not see anything wrong with.
Agreed

and I will sya this flat out. as long as you arent hurting people(unless in S/M setting which has rules in and of itself anyway) I dont see whats wrong with it.
It's a nice thought, I don't know if it's a rule to go by though. Do you include emotional/mental stress when you define "hurt"? If you don't, then your statement has some fairly significant issues to deal with; if you do, than your statement still has some significant issues that aren't easily resolved.

BeardofPants

Inkara1 said:
I should point out that "thesis" has two separate meanings, at least in my copy of Webster's New World Dictionary, 1990 edition. the first definition is: a proposition to be defended in argument. The second definition: a research paper, especially one written by a candidate for a master's degree.

I never heard the essay referred to as the latter.

Thanks for the clarification. I have read of other board members at high school writing theses, and it confused me, because my only association is with the masters thesis, which is book length. ^ What the sister is writing above would be referred to as a research paper, or essay, over here.

Inkara1

We'd call it that, too. But when she states her point, which is later supported by the evidence she presents, we call that the thesis statement.