Hoodlums

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My car got broken into last night, I was parking in the underground parking of my building. Apparently 4-5 total got broken into last night (and that was only what was reported at 8:30am this morning). I am SO frustrated and angry. Car is in getting fixed now (front passenger window was smashed in and in the process they smashed the shit out of the door frame around the window) and I'm working on putting my lost property claim together (two cameras and an ipod that I know of so far...I need to run through in my head to be sure nothing else is missing). Insurance will cover it with no increase in car premiums and a minor ($53/yr for three years) increase in my home policy...but I have to pay a $500 deductible. In the end, going through insurance was the cheapest route but still...I'm so mad I have to pay $659 because some jackass(es) decided to break into my car. I blame their parents...people who don't parent properly are now costing me money and it's pissing me off.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Great parents can have shit kids.

As hard as it is, it's a lesson well learned...don't leave valuables in your car. I learned thatin L.A.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Valuables or not I still would have had a busted window and a smashed door frame. You couldn't SEE the valuables. They got one camera out of the pocket of a hoodie on the back seat, they got the ipod out of a black bag on the floor of the back seat and the second camera was in a black bag under a pile of shoes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You're right, you shouldn't have a busted anything. Unless you get lucky, nobody will ever be caught & prosecuted. The cops are too busy to bother with minor vandalism.

ThorsFoundry

it's why I leave my shit unlocked. fucking body work is too expensive. course i got security measures - they just ain't "conventional". probably not even legal, but i don't care. i'm waiting for the poor bastard who tries it, as i'm too scared to check it out on myself....

catocom

surveillance hardware around here is worth every penny.
Then there's the treating neighborhood people right.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You're right, you shouldn't have a busted anything. Unless you get lucky, nobody will ever be caught & prosecuted. The cops are too busy to bother with minor vandalism.

Yup, I know. It's ridiculous. At least the cops here put on a little bit better front of pretending to care than the cops in Ont when my brother's car was broken into in Aug.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Difference is I live in the city. Jerry rigged security systems, "treating people right" and big vicious dogs either aren't allowed or don't do shit. I'm also not interested in breaking the law MYSELF to protect my material possessions. I'd rather have my actual car stolen than end up in jail because some "security system" I rigged up caused serious injury or death to the person trying to steal the car.

What really gets me is that they KNEW not to open the door to my car. This wasn't some group of teenagers looking for some quick cash to buy some booze or something. These people had done this before. The glass in my car isn't alarmed but all the doors are. They couldn't have opened the doors without setting the alarm off, someone had to crawl into the car through the open window, go through my things, take what they wanted and crawl back out.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'd rather have my actual car stolen than end up in jail because some "security system" I rigged up caused serious injury or death to the person trying to steal the car.

A couple dozen of those & watch property crime drop precipitously

ThorsFoundry

A couple dozen of those & watch property crime drop precipitously

ha! (at least around MY truck!) LOL
tis not bullshit. Try it - you'll like it!
I can be 1500 miles away and see who's there. All silent, all hidden. NON-conventional places - designed by yours truly. Also have some other totally (ok, 90%) non-lethal devices in some areas. Not deterrents - they are traps.

Negative reinforcement may or may not work on it's victims, but unless someone dies a horrible death, or suffers painful debilitation, it does nothing to deter other would be criminals. If I was to rig a home made surprise I would try and rig up a taser to taze someone when they sat down, yet two problems with it, what if I forgot, or loaned the car and forgot, and what if it kills someone? Just get a good loud alarm that covers the windows too is your best bet.

I have studied this kind of thing in a scholarly and professional way, and the best evidence IS actually on my side here.

ThorsFoundry

Negative reinforcement may or may not work on it's victims, but unless someone dies a horrible death, or suffers painful debilitation, it does nothing to deter other would be criminals. If I was to rig a home made surprise I would try and rig up a taser to taze someone when they sat down, yet two problems with it, what if I forgot, or loaned the car and forgot, and what if it kills someone? Just get a good loud alarm that covers the windows too is your best bet.

I have studied this kind of thing in a scholarly and professional way, and the best evidence IS actually on my side here.

ok. :la: