How Far is Too Far? Are we close to a revolutionary war?

Coffee Bean

Now they are talking about spy planes flying over our cities and the military marching through the streets. I call that Martial Law.

The government seems to be stepping all over the Constitution as though it were a piece of used toilet paper.

Why must we ALL pay for the actions of a few? I really HATE this sniper guy!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Part of me doesn't like that, yet if it's the only way to catch that sick bastard, then do it. If you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't be alarmed. Besides, spy planes have been taking pics of our country for years now, and the Military has always been there, just tucked away in the woods outside our cities. The military is just US citizens too.

Coffee Bean

I wouldn't be so fast to believe that "that's the only way to catch" the guy.

Don't let your rights be taken away under the guise of "public safety". You don't really know who's fingers are tied to the strings that are tied to your back.

Jeslek

Banned
The military has the right to move where they want. Its our job to make sure the civilian that controls them does so rightly.

PT

Coffee Bean said:
I wouldn't be so fast to believe that "that's the only way to catch" the guy.

Don't let your rights be taken away under the guise of "public safety". You don't really know who's fingers are tied to the strings that are tied to your back.

So just how would you propose to catch a guy that uses a high powered rifle, from a good distance, at random times and places?

HomeLAN

Part of me doesn't like that, yet if it's the only way to catch that sick bastard, then do it. If you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't be alarmed.

The men who wrote the Fourth Amendment had experienced soldiers being stationed in their homes and royal authorities who arbitrarily ransacked their possessions.

You might say the people who carried out those abuses were the "bad guys." But the FBI agents who compiled dossiers on Martin Luther King Jr. thought they, too, were protecting the nation from subversion. The undercover agents who infiltrated dissident groups whose only "subversive" activity was disagreeing with American policy were as patriotic as their investigative targets.

That's what alarms me. Pretty good opinion piece Here

Once you start giving up basic freedoms, where does it stop?

PT

I agree with that, HomeLAN, We should be able to maintain the sanctuary of our homes, free from searches whenever the local or federal authorities feel fit. But I also still believe that things like this are necessary, and not an invasion of privacy. It's not Martial Law as we like to think of it, with the Troops shooting anyone they see after dark, and sirens going off to announce mealtimes, sleep times, etc. It's simply using the resources we have to catch one sick son-of-a-bitch. Local law enforcement doesn't have the manpower to station a person on every street corner, the Military does.

Coffee Bean

LastLegionary said:
The military has the right to move where they want. Its our job to make sure the civilian that controls them does so rightly.

Read and understand the Constitution. No they don't. It's called Martial Law.

Coffee Bean

PuterTutor said:
Local law enforcement doesn't have the manpower to station a person on every street corner, the Military does.

That's what you want? Military personel at every street corner?

Move to some third world country if you want to be policed by the military.

PT

Coffee Bean said:
PuterTutor said:
Local law enforcement doesn't have the manpower to station a person on every street corner, the Military does.

That's what you want? Military personel at every street corner?

Move to some third world country if you want to be policed by the military.

The Military is there to protect us from our enemies, HERE and abroad. This guy is an enemy.

Jeslek

Banned
Coffee Bean said:
LastLegionary said:

Read and understand the Constitution. No they don't. It's called Martial Law.
I meant in public places. As far as I know.

Jeslek

Banned
MitchSchaft said:
I meant in public places. As far as I know.

They don't have a right to move any place unless Congress has declared Martial Law.
Interesting... what if the President orders them around? He can order them anywhere in the world, but not on US land? I don't know that...

unclehobart

The President can in times of emergency suspend Habeus Corpus and most civil liberties. He just has to show just cause to the congress inside of like 60 days or back off. The political fallout of such a move would be unholy unless something really shitty went down and all of society was unraveling.

Jeslek

Banned
MitchSchaft said:
The President can't order dick without the consent of Congress.
Yes he can, by executive order I think. He is the Commander-in-Chief. The Congress isn't in the chain of command. It would help if they support him though.

unclehobart

To me its just not martial law until the local police authorities have been shoved aside and they start declaring curfews and setting up random roadblocks.

PT

unclehobart said:
To me its just not martial law until the local police authorities have been shoved aside and they start declaring curfews and setting up random roadblocks.

That's the way I see it too, they are not doing that, they are simply providing more manpower than the local authorities can provide by themselves.