How far is too far?

Uki Chick

What the fuck?!! I can understand trying to protect your children and all, but that's pushing it. If she didn't see the sign, give the woman a warning, but to actually ticket her. It's the middle of the day, the parents are with their kids, she's just sitting there minding her own business. To even approach her with hands on their guns is outrageous. Did they actually think she posed that much of a threat that four of them had to be there???

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I wish we had that rule here. I really really wish.

It's really unnerving being at the beach/park here trying to keep eyes on 6-8 kids and wondering wtf all those lone men are doing there alone sitting at picnic tables doing absolutely nothing but looking around and switching tables at random intervals.

My friend and I one day started taking pictures of them very obviously. A couple got up and left right after. That was extra creepy.

Professur

Not only is that not the anwser, it's more dangerous for providing false security. Pedos are not single creeps that hang around looking to abduct kids. They're parents. They're school teachers, and boy scout leaders. They're pediatricians and they guy who sells shoes at the mall. They're lifeguards, and hall monitors, and even cops. They're the guy right next to you, and the guy at home jerking off to the Sears Catalog. They're the neighbour who's house you kid goes to after school until you get home from work, and they're your in-laws.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Professur said:
Les, that's prime grounds for picking up desperate single moms

Or other men for that matter. Or dope. Or...

It's a sad day when public parks are no longer open to everyone IMO. It sends the message that anyone without children in tow is less than desirable. In my line of work, I am all too familiar with how sex offenders operate, both cognitively as well as practically. What in this law stops a pedophile from babysitting a neice/nephew, and cruising the park for victims at the same time?

It's stereotyping. If the distinction were being made on race, y'all would be raising hell about it. In case no one else noticed, "racial profiling" is not one thing more than a fancyass name for stereotyping.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
the rule is designed to keep pedophiles out of city parks

I'm glad they don't have kids but this still puzzles me. Well, not really, I know how feel good legislation works :shrug:

Inkara1

I say kudos for the cops for not stereotyping and assuming this woman by herself wouldn't be a child molester. :lloyd:

Liliandra

Only in New York.... Oy.... Common sense would say, 1. This woman doesn't look suspicious, she's not doing anything that would cue anyone that she was even looking for trouble. 2. There's an event starting in the park soon, surplus people are bound to show up and what.... sit in their car like good little people because since they're childless they're obviously undesirable in a public park setting.

There's a park behind my work that I sit at all the time, I go on the playground and sit on the swings... I'd flip if someone tried to give me a ticket for being in a public park *gasp* without a youngling.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Liliandra said:
Only in New York.... Oy.... Common sense would say, 1. This woman doesn't look suspicious, she's not doing anything that would cue anyone that she was even looking for trouble.

MmmKay...Could you describe for us exactly what a pedophile looks like, how they behave when prowling, or what distinguishing characteristics they exhibit?

Pedophiles blend in. At least the ones that haven't been arrested do. You see one every day and don't realize it. Depending on the size of the company you work for, you probably share an office with at least one. If you have enough deliveries, repairmen, contractors, and whatnot to your door, you've had one there too. If you sat in the food court of your local mall for thirty minutes, at least one would walk right by you.

They don't wear signs.

Liliandra

My basic point with that was that sitting on a bench was at one point legal in this country. As I recall, tons of people used to do it all of the time even without children, was called enjoying the outdoors or something like that.

Starya

Oh.. my.. God...

That's just insane. "Feel free to enjoy the park - just make sure to reproduce first" :alienhuh:

If you're a parent observing people without kids behaving oddly, then call the cops, let them have a talk with the person.

Speaking of calling the cops, I had to do that once, unfortunately I didn't have a clear enough head to do things in a better order:
Me and the kid (yay, I'm allowed! :lloyd: ) were in a small park in town that has this little "pool" perfect for wading in. He was there to wade, I was there to eat strawberries. Other kids looked like they were there to pee in the water, but that's not the subject here. So, lil' todlers in just undies or swimwear, one woman let her lil' one in with nothing on. Not an unusual sight on beaches around here, but we're in town.. :alienhuh:

Anyways, this slightly scruffy looking guy is sitting a couple of benches away, noone else sitting on "our" side. He has his sweater in his lap, and I keep my eye on him. I notice movement under the sweater, and after a few seconds I catch a glimpse.. So, I get up (slightly boiling), go over to him, lift the sweater, point to the camera and ask what the hell he's up to? Then I tell him to get the hell away from there. He gets up and walks away quickly without a word. I calm myself for a seconds, and then I call the cops, give them a description and tell them which way he was heading.

What I should have done was just call the cops straight away, keep my eye on him, and let them catch him sitting there with the camera.