How far should we take the death penalty?

Jeslek

Banned
After watching a program on History Channel, I've been thinking. For those that do support it, write down yes or no to the following if you would support sentencing someone to death for that offense.

first degree murder (two offenses)
first degree murder (one offense)
rape
kidnapping
child molestation
treason, which results in loss of life
treason, which reuslts in loss of some other power
treason (in general)

For me personally, I'd say all of the above should be punishable by death.

Hyphen

LastLegionary said:
rape
kidnapping
child molestation
treason (in general)

No
No
No
No
No
No
NO
NO

I don't mean that in a simplistic absolute way, but I find death itself to simple a solution.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
hmmm, Leslie, non death penalty supporters should not be here ;)
ohhh wait, i'm here :D

no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
hmmm, Leslie, non death penalty supporters, should not be here ;)

ohhh wait, i'm here :D
Oh shit I forgot. Oops. I'll remember that next time :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have no problem with criminals of certain crimes, many of those listed, being put to death. I have a huge problem with our government doing it. That is way too much power to put in the hands of "officials".

In the case of a crime where the victims family wishes the death penalty, give the next of kin the option of "pulling the trigger". Nobody else would be legally able to do the act. If they couldn't do it, then the criminals sentence would revert to life without parole. I could do it, with no hesitation. Most couldn't, in reality.

freako104

i say yes to the molestation,murder,rape but other than that no. i feel that the punishment should fit the crime treason should get you deported. but in molesting and rape the victim never recovers(and dont give me BS that they do ive been through it myself.) murder is the same. i know that it wont bring the victim(s) back but i think there is a sense of cloosure to it.

Psycho

LastLegionary said:
rape
kidnapping
child molestation
treason (in general)

Yes
Yes
Depends
Depends
Depends
No
No
No

They should have a death sentence for people that are truly a danger to society. With 'depends' I mean it all depends on the situation, no two crimes are equal, it should be reviewed for every single case. The line between Yes or No is not one you can write down in some rule book.

The suggestion Gonz made is kind of good, give the victims (or relatives of the victim) the choice in severe cases. I doubt if a lot of people will 'pull the trigger' though, I don't know if I could even after such a crime, I would probably be haunted by guilt anyways. However, maybe it's better to keep such decisions in the hands or officials, they'll most likely make more objective choices, and I think that's the way it will remain for quite a while...

Jeslek

Banned
Well, what I meant wasn't a mandatory sentence, just possible... So suppose someone kidnapped 10 children and held them for ransom... I'd think that deserve death even though no one was hurt.

Now I'm all for giving the family the first gun, but after that it should be up to society. If the only family member alive has some problem with it, give it to the people around... the peers... like they did out in the Wild West. This is of course after the trail by jury.