How has PC come this far???

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
May 31 — It’s graduation time again, and all across America, the traditional trappings are in place: caps, gowns, commencement speakers and, of course, lawsuits.[/SIZ]

GRADUATING FROM high school or college is one of those once-in-a-lifetime events, and there’s tremendous pressure to make sure these events go exactly right — which may explain why they sometimes go exactly wrong. Few school events inspire as much controversy or litigation:

- Earlier this month, a public school in Hawaii and the American Civil Liberties Union clashed over whether a young woman can be barred from graduation ceremonies if she wears slacks underneath her gown. The school’s dress code says girls must wear skirts or dresses.
- A federal judge ruled a few weeks ago that the Lord’s Prayer may not be sung at an Iowa high school graduation. For 30 years, the choir at Woodbine High School had performed the song at the ceremony, but atheist students objected. U.S. District Judge Charles Wolle said the song constituted a government endorsement of a specific faith. “The principal effect of having the choir sing ‘The Lord’s Prayer’ is to advance the Christian religion,” the judge wrote.
- Last year, the principal of West Brook High School in Beaumont, Texas, suppressed the speech of the class salutatorian. Joanna Li’s dangerous sentiment: “Have you noticed that now that you’re graduating, everyone has advice to give you? Work hard. Don’t forget who you really are. Persevere. Remember your priorities. The truth is out there. That’s all good and well, of course, but they seem to forget one important thing. Have fun.”
- Sacramento (Calif.) Bee Publisher Janis Besler Heaphy was shouted down by rowdy audience members at a December commencement when she raised questions about government policies and civil liberties in the wake of Sept. 11.
In contrast, students at the University of California-Berkeley complained when the commencement speaker selection committee, striving to avoid controversy, invited Olympic skier Jonny Moseley.

[/quote]

Whatever happened to tradition, understanding and common sense?

1. Who's going to know what you're wearing under your gown unless you tell them?

2. There are many religions in the US, but Christianity happens to be the largest. Would these atheist students object to the Dalia Lhama speaking at their graduation? Probably not. So why the big stink about the Lord's Prayer?

3. If you don't like controversy, then why not just ignore what you don't want to hear? I do it all the time (just ask my fiancee :D ).

4. A student graduation is not the place for purely political speeches. A good speaker should tailor their speeches to the audience that will be listening. You don't feed a child adult portions, do you?

Source...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Principals & administrators have their hands full. Suppression of thought, molding of liberals, handiing out welfare food, making sure the lower end of the gene pool gets advantages over the higher end. There's no reason to think they will allow the graduating class to improperly influence the underclass.

Today, common sense, isn't common.

freako104

PC hs gotten too far. well its been too far. its all jsut BS to me. i dont even see why its there. or what it is(all i know is that its supposed to be politically correct but i see it as euphmisms and crap.

freako104

i do agree with the atheists but i do feel that the song should be allowed to be sung for those students who are christian. but also i believe that those who do not wish to hear it should be allowed to go outside or whatever so they can do as they please.