How to start a Jihad -101

MrBishop

BAGHDAD, Iraq - [size=-1]Gunmen kidnapped a Catholic archbishop and targeted security forces in a series of brazen attacks Monday that killed more than 20 people. U.S. Marines suffered undisclosed casualties in a car bombing in Ramadi, where two Shiite Muslims were beheaded and their bodies left on a sidewalk.
[/size]

Source

MrBishop

ResearchMonkey said:
Now that was a big mistake! Even Navy Seals fear the Vaticans black-ops.
Yeah...when they say "Show them your cross" - they actually mean "Show them how pissed off you are" :D

unclehobart

I heard some scuttle that the Syrians asked that he be let go since his diocese also encompassed into their territory and that their own populace was being a bit touchy about killing one of their own. Kill the foreign devils... not our domestic ones.

tank girl

MrBishop said:
[/size][/font]

Source

Start a Jihad? sheesh, I would've thought the origins of it 'started at least 50 years ago...thanks to the mistakes of a few, the juicy bits are only just coming into fruition.

If you want to be more accurate perhaps, make that at least 500 years ago. but who's counting... :shrug:

Jihad is the reality of the 21st century.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
They just said on the local news that he's been freed. Apparently he said they said they didn't know who he was.

MrBishop

tank girl said:
Start a Jihad? sheesh, I would've thought the origins of it 'started at least 50 years ago...thanks to the mistakes of a few, the juicy bits are only just coming into fruition.

If you want to be more accurate perhaps, make that at least 500 years ago. but who's counting... :shrug:

Jihad is the reality of the 21st century.
'cept the Catholics didn't declare it to be such this time. Imagine the furor if, f'r instance, the Pope got assasinated by a car-bomb driven by Muslim extremists.

If the vatican-city (a country in its own right) declares a war or crusade against all those of the Muslim faith....now THAT would be a Jihad. :D

Unlikely to happen...but if they'd found the head of that Archibishop on a country road somewhere...you can damn well be sure that the Pontif would be slower in turning the other cheek.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
MrBishop said:
Unlikely to happen...but if they'd found the head of that Archibishop on a country road somewhere...you can damn well be sure that the Pontif would be slower in turning the other cheek.

*DISCLAIMER* I am NOT trying to pick a fight here, just want your opinion on something.

I am a Christian, but not Catholic and am admittedly ignorant of the tenets of that faith, so my question is based in that ignorance. Do you not find that stance just a bit hypocritical? If the pope (and if that should be capitalized forgive my error) advocates for peace and understanding, why then would a reaction such as you describe not be hypocrisy? Similar to someone saying to a neighbor, "I do not support the neighborhood children settling their differences by using violence against one another", and then saying later that "If any of these kids picks on MY son, I'll let him kick their asses all over the playground."

Just curious...

HeXp£Øi±

tank girl said:

What are these mistakes you speak of?

tank girl

MrBishop said:
....declares a war or crusade against all those of the Muslim faith....now THAT would be a Jihad. :D

GWB has already done that with his "war on terrorism" has he not?...but it doesn't take explicit declarations of war to initiate such a thing. ALthough bombing the hell out of places helps :D... These days its more implicit - through manipulation and disinformation...which people agree and hold as the truth.

"Jihad" (ǧihād جهاد) is an Arabic word which comes from the Arabic root word "jahada"; which means "exerting utmost effort" or "to strive."

I don't know much about Cathlolicism, but I know that It doesn't take the catholic faith to declare where the Jihad starts...it is an Islamic term and understanding that I don't think anyone can really fathom. ALthough translated as "Holy War" in english its not as clear cut and simple as that.

In general; Jihad is a very broad word with many meanings that describes both an outward and inward struggle - and is intricately tied with the realisation of Islam.

It can be both non-violent and violent; though the violent meaning is the one that is more often subscribed to by those wishing to such as fundamentalists.

In fact, the traditional teaching of islam is nonviolence and that understanding is the founding of Jihad yet it has developed in two different ways - today the violent one holding full force but the non-violent, inner - spiritual understanding the underlying basis completely as akin to "the struggle of personal self-improvement against the self's base desires", in order to become as close to God and true as possible to their religious values.

Traditionally it has been up to the highest religious authority to declare Jihad but since, fundamentalist groups feel it is their duty to take the cause on actively themselves.

There is also two cases in which Jihad can be undertaken: defensive and offensive.

Defensive is in retaliation whilst Offensive is the actual invasion of hostile nations.

Most Muslims consider armed struggle against foreign occupation or oppression by domestic government to be worthy of defensive jihad. Indeed, the Qur'an appears to require military defense of the besieged Islamic community.

...two of the last verses [of the [Quran] revealed on this topic (9:5, 29) suggest, to classical scholars such as Ibn Kathir, an ongoing war of conquest against unbeliever enemies

To understand Jihad you must understand that it is intertwined with the very basis of the faith of Islam.

To say that Islamic people shouldn't believe in Jihad is like to say to a christian that it is wrong to rever Jesus for dying on the cross - ridiculous. The belief is inseperable - but the violent element of Jihad is only neccesary where it is felt as being under threat.

To most Islamic people, the enforcement of the western ideals of democracy and freedom on their established way of life is akin to the deliberate destruction of the islamic faith - no different from the crusades - they don't seperate the political from their theological belief, and thats why they see the need to fight. Their belief requires them to defend their faith, unfortunately at whatever cost - and since the offensive against the middle-east is more explosive than ever - the more and more appealing and appropriate and neccesary the defensive appeal of the violent understanding of Jihad as propelled by fundamentalists seems to be for those upset by relations of westerners towards the middle east, and the more people affected by such things as the war in Iraq don't need much convincing to stand for what they not only believe in defending, but what they live and breathe for.

source - excellent article "JIHAD"

MrBishop

SouthernN'Proud said:
*DISCLAIMER* I am NOT trying to pick a fight here, just want your opinion on something.

I am a Christian, but not Catholic and am admittedly ignorant of the tenets of that faith, so my question is based in that ignorance. Do you not find that stance just a bit hypocritical? If the pope (and if that should be capitalized forgive my error) advocates for peace and understanding, why then would a reaction such as you describe not be hypocrisy? Similar to someone saying to a neighbor, "I do not support the neighborhood children settling their differences by using violence against one another", and then saying later that "If any of these kids picks on MY son, I'll let him kick their asses all over the playground."

Just curious...
Hypocritical or not...that's life. Catholics are human too and from Pope to comman layman subject to human emotion. I'm sure that the rule of peace-mongering would survive albeit wounded.

There are levels of anger in everything. A stranger dies...you might feel angry at the circumstances. A coworker dies...some more anger. A friend dies.. vengeance rears its ugly head, family dies...it's personal now mutha'fucker!

I can love God with all my heart and soul... but don't fuck with my family.

You say it's hypocritical...I say, it's human nature washing over the veneer of society and revealing the real man.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
As I said, it was asked out of genuine ignorance on my part. I always heard that the "role" (for lack of better word) of the Pope is to be the direct intermediary between God and Catholics. My information may be off-base; it is as I said my own ignorance of Catholicism. If that is his role, it just seems contradictory to me. No personal insult intended. Just trying to get some education on the matter.

MrBishop

SouthernN'Proud said:
As I said, it was asked out of genuine ignorance on my part. I always heard that the "role" (for lack of better word) of the Pope is to be the direct intermediary between God and Catholics. My information may be off-base; it is as I said my own ignorance of Catholicism. If that is his role, it just seems contradictory to me. No personal insult intended. Just trying to get some education on the matter.
No harm, no foul. I'm Anglican...we don't follow the Pontif either... we've got the Archbishop of Canterbury as the greatest amongst equals. :D

Do clergy get angry? Does the Pope shit in the woods? :D