How's your garden doing?

Professur

There's a single plum in mum's back yard, from where we used to chuck pits when we were kids. Haven't managed to get a single plum off it in the 2 years since we realized what it was. the squirrels, on the other hand, eat very well indeed.

valkyrie

I plant my potatoes in a raised bed so I can find them easier
That's what my neighbor does: raised beds for the potatoes.
at least they grow fairly quick.
Yep. I want to put some Asian persimmons out there too and diversify. It takes longer for them to produce fruit though.
There's a single plum in mum's back yard, from where we used to chuck pits when we were kids. Haven't managed to get a single plum off it in the 2 years since we realized what it was. the squirrels, on the other hand, eat very well indeed.
Do you mean the squirrels get the all the plums or that it has never produced any plums?

Professur

Oh, it's laden with green plums every summer. but the moment they start to purple, poof. Wouldn't bug me so much, but they only eat about half of each one and then drop it to the ground.

catocom

I don't know if I'm late, but anyway,
I got lettuce, cabbage, and some radish planted this morn, before this next rain.
I'm going to get in carrots, and onion, as soon as the ground is workable again.

valkyrie

Oh, it's laden with green plums every summer. but the moment they start to purple, poof. Wouldn't bug me so much, but they only eat about half of each one and then drop it to the ground.
Yeah, that sucks. I don't know what would be the answer to that. We have squirrels but we also had chickens run around the yard. I don't know if the chickens would chase them off or just eat what the squirrels dropped from the peach trees. Unfortunately we don't have the dogs running in the orchard (to keep the chickens safe) but they could keep the squirrels at bay. On the other hand we have a lot of excess chicken food on the ground and maybe they're too full to eat many of our peaches.

catocom

:glasses:

It didn't rain too much, so I think I can get my onions in tomarrow.
That area has decent drainage, and good sandy loam.

valkyrie

:glasses:

It didn't rain too much, so I think I can get my onions in tomarrow.
That area has decent drainage, and good sandy loam.
Do you start with seed or are you planting starter bulbs? I only do seeds for bunching onions. Regular onions take too long with seed and I haven't been too successful with them.

catocom

bulbs
I don't do a large area. Just 50-100' row.
I get a pound of bulbs for $1.10, and it's more than I need usually. (about a quart)
I was late last year, and they got 'hotter than a firecracker'.
Still ok for cooking though.

valkyrie

bulbs
I don't do a large area. Just 50-100' row.
I get a pound of bulbs for $1.10, and it's more than I need usually. (about a quart)
I was late last year, and they got 'hotter than a firecracker'.
Still ok for cooking though.
I have some onions I left in the ground from last year. I wonder how they will taste. I'm almost afraid to pull them and try them. :lol:
FEAR THE OLD ONION! FEAR IT!

valkyrie

I ate some pickled jalapeño last night that wasn't as hot :D
Holy shit, dude. You're scaring me! :eek:

I think I'll pull one and saute it tonight. If I no longer post here after sampling you'll know it's because I spontaneously combusted.
:lol:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Cut the jalapeno in half. Then, lay it flat & using a sharp knife (do I need to incude government warnigns here?), cut a thin layer off the inside, including the vein.

It's now more sweet than hot.

valkyrie

Cut the jalapeno in half. Then, lay it flat & using a sharp knife (do I need to incude government warnigns here?), cut a thin layer off the inside, including the vein.

It's now more sweet than hot.
I make a cocktail out of a few slices of jalapeno, rum or tequila and agave nectar. It's called a Pepperita. Very tasty and very spicy.

Cat was talking about how hot his onions got after leaving them too long in the ground. I left mine in for a year without pulling them. I'm almost afraid to eat them now, but I will try it.

valkyrie

My asparagus have started to send up shoots! I am so excited I could... I don't know what! WOOT!!! Next year I will be ass deep in asparagus!

hmmmm... that didn't sound right.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Next year you'll be able to sample them. The following year you can go to town. Even two-year-old plants needs two years.

valkyrie

Next year you'll be able to sample them. The following year you can go to town. Even two-year-old plants needs two years.
I was hoping that next year we'd be able to harvest. Bummer! :disgust2:

BTW, I did the trench method. I'm not sure when to start filling in with compost though. I read somewhere that asparagus spreads out and roots tend to pop up toward the top of the soil and this is why I chose this method. (Some methods of planting did not call for the trench.)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As they grow, fill in behind them. Keep a couple of inches above the soil line until you bed is level.

With two year roots, you can cut more than with one year but, ideally, let them establish themslves a lttle longer. I planted one year & had to watch my best crop ever go to waste :(

valkyrie

As they grow, fill in behind them. Keep a couple of inches above the soil line until you bed is level.

With two year roots, you can cut more than with one year but, ideally, let them establish themslves a lttle longer. I planted one year & had to watch my best crop ever go to waste :(
I will definitely take your advice and not cut this year and most likely next year also.

When do I fill them in, though? Now? As shoots begin to come up? Or at the end of the season when the ferns begin to die back (winter)? That's the part I don't know about.