Hurrican Charlie.........

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
Everything in Cali is built to withstand an X magnitude earthquake.

That is what I was ASKING...I was asking if this was an uncommonly LARGE earthquake for the area...cause if it was it could have been above the X magnitude that they build to accomidate for...THAT was my point...but I dunno if it was large, small, med, whatever...that is why I was asking if it was uncommonly large...

ResearchMonkey

6.x is big enough to ruin your day.

every whole number is an increase by ten in terms of energy released.

7.0 is 10x stonger then a 6.0

We have been told to expect a large one, 7.2 or greater (I think) before 9/9/04

The area I live in has not slipped on the San Andreas Fault in since California was settled. Our area is over due by 400 years.

The last big one we had was very sizable on the White Wolf fault which T-bones the San Andreas.

Kern County, California
1952 07 21 11:52:14 UTC
Magnitude 7.3

This earthquake was the largest in the conterminous United States since the San Francisco shock of 1906

USGS
We lost most every grand old structure downtown.

Gonna be one hella'va ride baby.

ResearchMonkey

Cat-4 rolling in hard 'bout now.

None of the Fla-Folks seem to have a mobile contingancy set-up I suppose.

*waits for word*

chcr

Too cute for words
ResearchMonkey said:
6.x is big enough to ruin your day.

every whole number is an increase by ten in terms of energy released.

7.0 is 10x stonger then a 6.0

We have been told to expect a large one, 7.2 or greater (I think) before 9/9/04

The area I live in has not slipped on the San Andreas Fault in since California was settled. Our area is over due by 400 years.

The last big one we had was very sizable on the White Wolf fault which T-bones the San Andreas.

We lost most every grand old structure downtown.

Gonna be one hella'va ride baby.

Hey, RM, am I all wet or is the biggest one in the US ever the New Madrid? Seems like I read that years ago. (I realize that it predated the San Francisco quake and the Richter scale)

ResearchMonkey

Fresh video of Chuck as seen from in between Orlando and the menace (~80 miles), from a friend that is going be giving periodic footage of the event.

this is about 15 minutes old.

rain

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
7.9 richter 1811. New Madrid is the one that worries me (besides the ones we haven't discovered). All these homes & businesses built to withstand a small tornado at best. I still carry earthquake insurance.

No Nix, not uncommonly large. I believe the standard is 7.5-8.0 for building code.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Cuban victim
081304_charley10.jpg

ResearchMonkey

New Madrid quakes are bad because the tectonic plates do not have the fractures to absorb the waves, the entire plate rattles for a thousand miles. Here the ground is all broken up and the shake is absorbed by the fractures.

we have strong ones that happen right here, but so far the San Andreas has not slipped, it will eventually have to give. Very near the White wolf fault we had this one. When the "Big one" happens it very well may be at the intersection of all these faults.
In January, 1857, the Great Fort Tejon Earthquake occurred here and, rated at 8.25 magnitude, is equal to the largest earthquake ever recorded in the state! This quake caused 15 ft. vertical and 30 ft. horizontal shifts in the local area. The split in the earth opened up from about 50 miles north of Taft to Palm Springs, and.... the Kern River was bounced out ot its' riverbed, causing massive flooding in what is now Bakersfield! Check out the photos below from the '52 Tehachapi quake also.

Source

Sharky

Poor Mare - Charley scored a direct hit on her county. She will probably be without electricity for a while, at the very least.

This photo is from her county:

capt.flsm10108132050.hurricane_charley_flsm101.jpg

capt.0209f36df688861e50517d1173c52504.pjpeg

Thulsa Doom

have a couple of friends in bradenton. lost contact with them around 4 or so today and havent heard from them since... ive been through a hurricane before and i realize that its much more then just a really bad storm. its a whole different animal. people dont realize that. its about as close to a bad rain storm as a tornado is to a a blustery day. the only way i can describe it is its like a car accident that lasts all day. simply brutal.

Rose

Sharky said:
Poor Mare - Charley scored a direct hit on her county. She will probably be without electricity for a while, at the very least.

This photo is from her county:

capt.flsm10108132050.hurricane_charley_flsm101.jpg

capt.0209f36df688861e50517d1173c52504.pjpeg

Ooooooh, not good.

Inkara1

Earthquake stuff:

The Northridge earthquake did not happen along the San Andreas Fault.

The San Andreas is actually quite a bit inland by the time it gets as far south as Los Angeles--that's how the mountains were formed east of the city. The fault heads west-northwest from the Gulf of California, east and then north of the LA basin. It then doglegs north of Ventura or so, kind of near Fort Tejon (which was the closest settlement to the epicenter of the 1852 quake) and heads northwest through Parkfield. It dips into the ocean a bit south of San Francisco, hits land again a bit north in Marin County, and then a bit later heads back into the ocean towards where Juan de Fuca Plate is wedged between the American and Pacific plates.

The Northridge quake was caused by a previously undiscovered fault line. This is a fairly common occurrence as earthquakes go. There are thousands upon thousands of faults we know about... and untold numbers of faults we don't know about. A fairly recently-discovered fault, the Puente Hills fault, runs directly under downtown LA and is capable of producing a 7.0 earthquake. A 7.0 earthquake right in downtown would be a lot more devastating than an 8.0 along the San Andreas east of town, because of proximity. But Puente Hills didn't cause the Northridge quake. It's believed that it did cause the 1987 Whittier Narrows quake (5.9) though, instead of the Elysian Park fault (which also runs under LA) as had been previously thought. Whittier Narrows should have been recent enough when the parking structure at California State University, Northridge (the one in the picture) was designed to remind the architects and construction crews of how easy it is for earthquakes to happen around there.

There are plenty of faults in the LA basin which could produce a 7.0 earthquake, many of which are not discovered yet. This should have been understood by 1993.

As for largest earthquake in the US... Alaska has both California and the midwest beat with its 9.2 earthquake of 1964.

Sharky

Only at OTC would there be discussion of earthquakes in a hurricane thread . . . :nerd:

Charley kicked ass. Look out, South and North Carolina, here it comes.

Mare, let us know as soon as you can how you fared. Odds are you're OK and will be without electricity for a while (and possibly without a working computer), but we're worried about ya. :(

The latest report from AP

ResearchMonkey

I have been watching the news, WOW! That sucker laid its foot print downhard.

A a unconfimed number of deaths, massive damage across the board.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As I went to bed, early for a change, he was over the Orlando area & covered FLA from wall to wall. Charlie will now be retired.

[edit]well, damn[/edit]
Aug 14, 6:52 AM (ET)

By MARK LONG

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. (AP) - The death toll from Hurricane Charley rose early Saturday, when a county official said there had a been "significant loss of life" at a mobile home park and deputies were standing guard over stacks of bodies because the area was inaccessible to ambulances.

Wayne Sallade, Charlotte County's director of emergency management, said early Saturday that there were "a number of fatalities" at the mobile home park, and that there were confirmed deaths in at least three other areas in the county.

The eye of the worst hurricane to hit Florida in a dozen years passed directly over Punta Gorda, a town of 15,000 which took a devastating hit Friday.

Hundreds of people were missing in Charlotte and thousands were left homeless, Sallade said. He compared the devastation with 1992's Hurricane Andrew, which the National Hurricane Center directly blamed for the deaths of 26 people, most in South Florida.

"It's Andrew all over again," he said. "We believe there's significant loss of life."

Sallade did not have an estimate on a specific number of fatalities. He said it may take days to get a final toll.

Extensive damage was also reported on exclusive Captiva Island, a narrow strip of sand west of Fort Myers.

President Bush declared a major disaster area in Florida, making federal money available to Charlotte, Lee, Manatee and Sarasota counties. One million customers were reported without power statewide, including all of Hardee County and Punta Gorda.

The Category 4 storm was stronger than expected when the eye reached the mainland at Charlotte Harbor, pummeling the coast with winds reaching 145 mph and a surge of sea water of 13 to 15 feet.

Mare

My Family and I are all ok...Using the neighbors computer right now just to let all know WERE FINE......This was THE WORST THING IN LIFE I EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH... I have electric and water...No PHONES and No TV.....lines are down everywhere...Trees are uprooted out the ground all over our street. Porta potties are in the roads....Port Charlotte is so bad and Punta Gorda is pretty much devistated. Please say prayers for all the families and my co-workers families and may they all get through this. It is going to take a very long time to clean up all the mess Charlie sent our way. I just THANK GOD, that my family and I are all safe and sound and still have our roof over our heads. I NEVER want to go through anything like this ever again and if a hurricane ever comes this way again-IM OUTTA HERE.... :sadhug: