I am such a dumbass.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Install 97-98 versions of everything. Tell her that's the only way that her comcrap can do things fast, new software = slower software = slow ass old computer. She can spend in a new puter and run the latest and greatest or she can wait ;) :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Professur said:
Did she give you all the CDs that came with it, in case you need to reinstall?
No, if I need to reinstall, I've got a 98 cd I'm not using anyway. She says all she uses it for is surfing and occasionally some word processing. I figure if worse comes to worse, I'll format and reinstall 98 and Word 97 and call it good.

Inkara1

5150 is the police code for "transported to the county mental health facility." I have a cousin who was 5150 several times in early 1999.

PT

Professur said:
Oooo. You really want the reinstall CDs. Trust me on that. Doing a presario freehand isn't pretty.
Alot of Driver issues? They've got all the drivers on their web site, figured I'd download all them before I started.

Professur

It's not just the drivers ... it that they need to be installed in just the right order. Otherwise you can run into IRQ issues. Not to mention that the re-up is a shed load faster, and puts it back exactly as it came from the factory. Absolves you of any responsability.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Oooo. You really want the reinstall CDs. Trust me on that. Doing a presario freehand isn't pretty.

*Can vouch for that one.*

Presario's have a weird restore partiion, and other issues.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
vouches too. very painful if done wrong. Restore cd is best. done in twenty min and send her packing.....

catocom

PT I've got a k6-2/450 if she wants to upgrade. :D (on a compaq board now)
The best upgrade would be a 7200rmp hd though if she
really wants to see an improvement. (if it still has the org hd in it now)

Inkara1

Some might have, but the soon-to-be-ex-mother-in-law's presario that went through the fire had a regular 3 1/2" Maxtor drive.

A.B.Normal

Mirlyn said:
Don't those have the infamous bigfoots?

May be thinking of HP,I had a PII266 with a Bigfoot(3600rpm),upgraded to a Maxtor 7200 RPM and it made a HUGE difference.Shes probably not going to want to shell out $$$ though.

PT

It's a 5.25 8gb Bigfoot. Seems to be clicking along quite nicely though....

PT

Oh, she must have upgraded the Ram too, it's got 128, actually not bad for a 350. Of course the last defrag date was in 2001. But, after installing Nortons and cleaning 5 files, it's looking pretty decent. Don't think I'll have to reinstall.

Cat, I've got a K6/2 550 in my desk here somewhere, after it does the defrag I'm thinking about sticking it in there and seeing what happens, if it works I'll sell it to her for an extra 20 or so.

A.B.Normal

PuterTutor said:

3600rpm though ,trust me going from one to a 7200rpm drive made a noticeable improvement on my PII266

PT

I'm sure it did, but you're preaching to the choir on that one. 20 bucks for a new processor won't kill her. 75 to 100 for a new hard drive when she's using exactly 1.5 gigs of this ones 8 might be hard to talk her into.

Mirlyn

I believe it depends on the model year, but I think most the early K62s had the bigfoot in them. Can't remember. I usually can tell by the case design.
PuterTutor said:
Defrag and a msconfig are your best friends then. Dunno about the new Nortons, maybe AVG or something with less overhead. Unless its running nicely as is (128 makes them quite tolerable, almost useable :D).

Professur

Check the website for a firmware update for that drive. Seems I heard something about that being a real savior for them.

BTW it was the early 1-2G bigfoots that ruined the concept. I've the disks from one as scratched up mirrors on my desk here. Bad head crashes. I'm told the later models solved this problem, but it was too late. The mere sight of a bigfoot was sending techs screaming for RMAs.