I broke down and got one.

I probably will put a fan on it, just because it makes me feel better, and I have a couple extra at home. I don't think I'd buy one if I didn't have one.

As far as your new computer build, go for it. Prices are pretty good right now, but as you know in the computer market, they only go down. I'd probably wait til after the first of the year, we've got a major introduction coming from AMD early next year with Hammer, Nvidia has just released their NV5 or whatever, I see prices falling on decent stuff here pretty soon.

I'm waiting for Hammer. Not that i would buy it, I'm far too cheap for that ;) But I would like to see prices fall a little more. I was very eager to pick up the 1700+ for $58, but I don't think I'm willing to pay much over $100 for a cpu. I'm probably gonna wait until I get get something with a 333 fsb for under $100. I'm pretty patient, I might need to be on this one, maybe 6 or a little more months. I would really like a new laptop with a decent ati or nvidia video card in it now too. Wow, that sounds sick, to say I want an ATI video card for a notebook!!! Things certainly change!!! Its kind of depressing, I tried to run a few games on my current notebook, and it seems about all it can handle is civ, ok, maybe Quake III or UT with the graphics turned down, but castle wolfenstien really did a number on it. It reminded me of the old days when software, especially games, ALWAYS out paced hardware. I'm glad thats not the case anymore (for the most part)!!! Upgrading every time a new game comes out gets expensive. I'm shocked people still do it. I mean back then, you NEEDED to, really. Now, its only because you want all the goodies turned on or to the max detail level.

Well, I hope you like that card. I'm not sure what the performance of a TNT2 is compared to it, but I don't think its so bad as those guys at hwc think. And I really can't believe this is a fair comparison. I don't think a TNT2 was that much faster than my voodoo 3 3000, and thats ancient!!! Ok, it has twice as much ram, and was a little faster, but I can't believe the guys at HWC were being fair to the geforce 4 MXs at all. The Geforce 2 MXs are probably a better comparison, at least I would hope!!!

RD_151 said:
I'm a little curious why anyone NEEDs more than 30 fps out of a video card any way. Oh well, thats HWC for ya.
I don't know about anyone else but I can certainly tell the difference between anything below about 100hz. And it's not just about speed, it's about features too. You shouldn't settle with crappy vis quality with 20000 fps when you can get best visual quality at 100fps

RD_151 said:
Yeah, I have an xbox, and I've never bought a game for it!!!

I only use it for playing dvds. Strange huh. And to think I would rather build a new system just to play games on the pc. Ok, maybe its cuz I don't like MS though. I only bought it cuz it cost them more to make than it did for me to buy it :D. It would defeat the purpose to buy games and let them get their money back :D

I know I saw a linux conversion kit for the PS2 somewhere... is there one for the xbox too?

yeah, there are conversions for the xbox as well. I haven't looked into it, but its not a bad idea really.

Well, fury you may be right. I'm just thinking that television and movies run from about 25 to 30 fps and it seems fine. maybe there is some difference for games. I'm not sure, I've never had a video card fast enough to tell. Remember, I'm still using a voodoo 3 3000 ;)

Well, I got it put in last night, and it is an amazing improvement. Played GTA3 in 1024x768, no problems. Played Americas Army in the same, no problems. I did install the 40.72 drivers, the ones that came with the card were the 30.82's I think, not bad, but got some gain with the other.

Only downside is the 3d mark score was only 2099. Seems a bit low for the performance I'm getting, but I'm happy with the performance, so Oh well.

I did mount a fan on the heatsink, just don't see much reason for a heatsink if you don't have a fan on it. :shrug:

Now I'm searching to find what AGP aperature size means. There is a setting in my bios for that, anywhere from 16mb up to 256mb. Any ideas?

RD_151 said:
yeah, there are conversions for the xbox as well. I haven't looked into it, but its not a bad idea really.

Well, fury you may be right. I'm just thinking that television and movies run from about 25 to 30 fps and it seems fine. maybe there is some difference for games. I'm not sure, I've never had a video card fast enough to tell. Remember, I'm still using a voodoo 3 3000 ;)
Movies run at 24fps and they seem fine because of a little camera trick called motion blur. It produces the effect of motion much like our brain interprets motion in real moving objects. That's why they seem smooth. In computer graphics where there is no motion blur, the eyes require the framerate to be a bit higher than their own refresh rate (which for most people is the equivalent of 60-75hz) in order to perceive fluid motion. If you're still stuck on a Voodoo3, I'd suggest you not go anywhere where there are game demos on fast video cards, because you will refuse to use that Voodoo3 any longer and your wallet will take a beating :eek:

PuterTutor said:
Well, I got it put in last night, and it is an amazing improvement. Played GTA3 in 1024x768, no problems. Played Americas Army in the same, no problems. I did install the 40.72 drivers, the ones that came with the card were the 30.82's I think, not bad, but got some gain with the other.

Only downside is the 3d mark score was only 2099. Seems a bit low for the performance I'm getting, but I'm happy with the performance, so Oh well.

I did mount a fan on the heatsink, just don't see much reason for a heatsink if you don't have a fan on it. :shrug:

Now I'm searching to find what AGP aperature size means. There is a setting in my bios for that, anywhere from 16mb up to 256mb. Any ideas?
Your 3d mark score is pitiful. You should be getting at least 4500. Make sure antialiasing is turned off in the drivers, I think Geforce4s (even the MX's) enable it by default.

The heatsink came without a fan on it because it doesn't generate much heat, and a heatsink with no fan is all it needs to stay cool. But if you plan on overclocking, by all means put the fan on there :headbang:

AGP aperture defines how much system ram you are willing to sacrifice to the video gods if you run out of video memory. Set it to either 64mb or 256mb, either one usually works fine. Some mobos won't run on 256 and others won't run on 64, so give both a shot.

Ok, I set it to 64. Anti Aliasing is off, and was off for the test. I'm going to overclock it a bit tonight and see what kind of score I can get. Remember though fury, this card does have sdram, not ddr.

Thanks for the info Fury. Oh, and btw, you must have missed the part about the 440mx WITH DDR being in the mail. Let me check, still in City of Industry, Ca :( Oh well, Fedex is quick, I'll have it soon enough. I know, its not so fast, but I was happy with the Aopen SDRAM 440 that PuterTutor has. I just put that exact card in a system I build for my mom. Well, I got the DDR version for myself so i see your point.

About the voodoo 3, well, i was planning on upgrading for a while, but since I have been working from 60-90 hours a week for the last year or so, its not really worth it. I wouldn't have any time to take advantage of it. Ok, I don't now really either, but after seeing the performance of that Aopen sdram 440, I figured $72 for an Asus ddr version from newegg wasn't so bad. Besides its christmas :D Ok, it was probably high, but they did such a good job with the last 3 shipments I guess its ok to let them earn a little more profit.

btw, I guess I should bench mark my aopen card, and see how it compares to PuterTutor's. If I remember, i'll check when i get home.

Ok, I'm dissapointed now. My DDR Asus 440 is only getting 2768. But thats on a Duron 600 with 256mb of pc133, so maybe this is lowering the score. I haven't had a chance to try the SDRAM Aopen card yet, well I mean for 3dmark I mean. Maybe tomorrow. That should be lower I imagine, even though its in a 1700xp with 256mb of pc2700. I'll let ya know what I get with that one too once I get a chance to check it.

Inkara1 said:
I know I saw a linux conversion kit for the PS2 somewhere... is there one for the xbox too?
hahahahahahaha,
well, not from MS anyways, although there is a project underway to run linux on an xbox
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/

fury said:
I don't know about anyone else but I can certainly tell the difference between anything below about 100hz.
i hear ya, that was the only thing i liked about winblows, i haven't been able to get xfree86 to run over 85Hz :crying3:

Back