I decided to play tonight

Inkara1

Not only that, you get faster and more consistent performance with it wired, and 2.4GHz phones won't interfere with wires. The only reason I'd ever want to go wireless is for a laptop.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:
HomeLAN said:
Oh, they can. That's an always on connection you have there, big boy. They'll just come through that instead of your router/switch.

Again, though, you've taken precautions against the amateur/accident, and the truly determined and skilled will get you anyhow.

I always figure (rightly I hope) that the truly determined and skilled have better things to do than fool with my stuff.

That's my hope. I watch it close enough to generally know who's been around.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Not only that, you get faster and more consistent performance with it wired, and 2.4GHz phones won't interfere with wires. The only reason I'd ever want to go wireless is for a laptop.

That's partially true, but only for home networking not for the internet, 'cause I doubt you have an internet connection with a speed over 5Mbps.

Mirlyn

Huge said:
I don't think I have enough wifi routers in my area...
I was in Montreal in March....sat at an intersection below some apartment/office towers and decided to fire up the laptop to casually check things out. I was in 32 networks simultaneously. Can't imagine such a thing, considering there's only 11 channels. I opened the windows connection assistant thingy and figured out that you just had to keep pressing refresh until you saw your network SSID.

Oh, and if you want real fun, try Kismet. I tripled my network numbers by using it. I just need to get linux working on my Dell (must be a bug in X with my particular BIOS/video card...no-go on any distro so far).

Professur

I was at a Cisco seminar this spring, for the wireless classes. They maintained one thing. The only wireless protection that works is strong passwords.

For those of you with DSL, you can configure your routers to dial on demand, instead of keeping the connection alive 24/7. It might mean one extra refresh from time to time, but at least you're a harder target.

HomeLAN

Yeah, you can. The issue with the major provider around here, though, is that they take fucking forever to validate you. I got so many complaints about that that I just set 'em to keep alive anymore.