I did what?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:tardbang: He musta forgot....

Report: Rumsfeld OK'd Prisoner Program
60 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld authorized the expansion of a secret program that encouraged physical coercion and sexual humiliation of Iraqi prisoners to obtain intelligence about the growing insurgency in Iraq, The New Yorker reported Saturday.

Rumsfeld made the decision last year when he broadened a Pentagon operation from the hunt for al-Qaida in Afghanistan to interrogation of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad, according to the report, which cited unnamed current and former intelligence officials and was published on the magazine's Web site.

Seven soldiers are facing military charges related to the abuse and humiliation of prisoners captured by the now-infamous photographs at the prison. Some of the soldiers and their lawyers have said military intelligence officials told military police assigned as guards to abuse the prisoners to make interrogations easier.

According to the story, which hits newsstands Monday, the initial operation Rumsfeld authorized gave blanket approval to kill or capture and interrogate "high value" targets in the war on terrorism. The program stemmed from frustrating efforts to capture high-level terrorists in the weeks after the start of U.S. bombings in Afghanistan.

The program got approval from President Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, and Bush was informed of its existence, the officials told New Yorker reporter Seymour Hersh.

Under the program, Hersh wrote, commandos carried out instant interrogations _ using force if necessary _ at secret CIA detention centers scattered around the world. The intelligence would be relayed to the commanders at the Pentagon.

Last year, Rumsfeld and Stephen Cambone, his undersecretary for intelligence, expanded the scope of the Pentagon's program and brought its methods to Abu Ghraib, Hersh wrote.

Critics say the interrogation rules, first laid out in September after a visit to Iraq by the then-commander of the prison for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, amounted to a green light for abuse.

Defense Department officials deny that, saying prisoners always are treated under guidelines of the Geneva Conventions. Pentagon spokesman Jim Turner referred to that assertion, made at a news briefing Friday, when asked to comment on the New Yorker article.

The intelligence sources told the magazine photos of the sexual abuse were used to intimidate prisoners and detainees into providing information on the insurgency. It was thought that some prisoners would do anything _ including spying on their associates _ to avoid dissemination of the shameful photos to family and friends.

One intelligence official said the CIA ended its involvement with the program at Abu Ghraib prison by last fall.

"They said, 'No way. We signed up for the core program in Afghanistan _ pre-approved for operations against the high-value terrorist targets _ and now you want to use it for cabdrivers, brothers-in-law, and people pulled off the streets,'" the source said.

A.B.Normal

That seems a little to complete a package considering up to now they have always maintained some accountable deniabilty( or is it deniable accountabilty??) ,to suddenly have a situation where they are all caught red handed seems fishy.

The intelligence sources told
:alienhuh:

Are these the same "intelligence sources " whom are being looked at for abuses at Abu Grhaib?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
:shrug:
He wanted the same thing the libs wanted;
A senior C.I.A. official, in confirming the details of this account last week, said that the operation stemmed from Rumsfeld’s long-standing desire to wrest control of America’s clandestine and paramilitary operations from the C.I.A.

This was certainly needed. WTF is this crap about calling the lawyers during a war?
...blanket advance approval to kill or capture and, if possible, interrogate “high value” targets in the Bush Administration’s war on terror.
Read teh text before signing jack-shit & make sure you can prosecute magazine editors for providing intel during war-time.

A.B.Normal

A.B.Normal said:
That seems a little to complete a package considering up to now they have always maintained some accountable deniabilty( or is it deniable accountabilty??) ,to suddenly have a situation where they are all caught red handed seems fishy.

:alienhuh:

Are these the same "intelligence sources " whom are being looked at for abuses at Abu Grhaib?

Plausible deniability :eyemouth: {its been a long day}

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The Defense Department strongly denied the claims made in the report, which cited unnamed current and former intelligence officials and was published on the magazine's Web site. Pentagon (news - web sites) spokesman Lawrence Di Rita issued a statement calling the claims "outlandish, conspiratorial, and filled with error and anonymous conjecture."

AP

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
Yeah...They did the same with prisoner abuse claims...till the pictures got out...:retard:

Actually, Squiggy, they were in the midst of an investigation on those abuses since 15 JAN 2004. How do you think those pictures got out? The investigation was over 6 soldiers who were accused of abusing Iraqi prisoners. Sound familiar? It was posted here in March...I don't have the time to look it up, but it was posted here.

Sometimes those conspiracy theories of yours, and the constant blaming of this administrations 'cover-ups' is just too much. :retard:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Hmmm...Amazing that Congress and the President weren't aware either. Or did you not see the reports of the inquirey yet? I know I'm a fun target for the right wing noise machine here, but you're all getting just a bit rediculous. And you call me an apologist? :rolleyes:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
Hmmm...Amazing that Congress and the President weren't aware either. Or did you not see the reports of the inquirey yet? I know I'm a fun target for the right wing noise machine here, but you're all getting just a bit rediculous. And you call me an apologist? :rolleyes:

It was, at the time, an internal Army matter. It was in the news as early as mid-February. I bet you didn't even look it up.Here's a recent source with a time-frame so you can comprehend...

The fresh allegations of prison abuse are contained in statements taken from 13 detainees shortly after a soldier reported the incidents to military investigators in mid-January. The detainees said they were savagely beaten and repeatedly humiliated sexually by American soldiers working on the night shift at Tier 1A in Abu Ghraib during the holy month of Ramadan, according to copies of the statements obtained by The Washington Post.