"I don't want to have to kill this man, but I'll kill him graveyard dead"

Gotholic

Any perp still 'in the house' after being fired upon is a waste of genetic materials.

Not that this guy was actually in the house at all. He was still outside when he met his end, 'member? She had to go outside to check on him.

She had 3 in the hole...plenty for a warning shot.

He still trespassed on her property.

2minkey

bootlicker
which means nothing by itself.

i have greenpeace types and jesus freaks trespassing on their way up to my front door all the time. sure, i'd love to shoot them, but then i'd go to jail.

MrBishop

He still trespassed on her property.
me said:
Sounds like the guy got into a DUI accident and was trying to get help from the first place he found..and got shot for his troubles. Lovely.

So do god-botherers, mailmen, meter-readers etc... like 2minkey said..doesn't give you the right to kill them.

ResearchMonkey

If the meter reader is drunk ans stupid, throwing chairs through glass doors to come into my home???????????

....its time for two taps center mass.

catocom

we have the castle law here now, like tx.
I've got a no trespassing sign up, and that give me certain other rights.
if I tell um to leave the property, and they don't, I'm within my right
to shoot um anywhere within view of that sign.

used to have to wait until they were in the house, but not now.

2minkey

bootlicker
i think in montreal they have to offer a handjob as well, and are only allowed to stab, not shoot, an intruder.

Cerise

Law allows fatal shot, Lincoln County official says
NO CHARGES IN LINCOLN COUNTY DEATH

CHANDLER — A woman’s shotgun blast that felled an intruder in Lincoln County was a justified act, and just as an emergency dispatcher told the woman before she squeezed the trigger, firing was her best option under the circumstances, the district attorney said Tuesday.

The intruder’s motivations for breaking into her house may remain unclear, but the action taken to stop him was a clear exercise of a homeowner’s rights, District Attorney Richard Smothermon said.

Smothermon issued a ruling Tuesday that Donna Jackson had the legal authority to shoot and kill Billy Dean Riley about 12:40 a.m. Friday. Smothermon said he has declined to file any criminal charge against her.

Jackson, 56, was standing in her home south of Cushing on Friday with a shotgun when Riley, 53, used a patio table to smash through a glass patio door, Smothermon said. She opened fire and the shooting was recorded as the 911 dispatcher talked her through it.

The dispatcher had told her, "you can defend your property.”

Smothermon ruled the shooting is justified under the state’s "stand-your-ground” law, which allows a person to shoot an intruder in a home. Riley was lying dead on the back patio, with his feet inside the door threshold, by the time deputies arrived.

Riley had stepped across the back patio threshold and into the kitchen, said Lincoln County Sheriff Chuck Mangion.

In a trembling voice, Jackson on Tuesday said she did not want to comment.

"I’m not willing to talk about this. Please do me a favor and think of that other family,” Jackson said.

Mangion said Riley was driving nearby with his sister when he drove off the roadway and got stuck.

"His motivations are unclear from this investigation,” Mangion said. "He went over a fence with a locked gate and he had to fight off a dog once he got in the yard, so I doubt he was looking for help,” Mangion said. "I doubt that (getting help) was his motivation.”

Patricia Totty, Riley’s sister, was passed out in the car in an apparent overdose of narcotics and alcohol, Mangion said. She has since been released from the hospital. She is from Siloam Springs, Ark.

Riley, who can be heard in the 911 call screaming at Jackson before she shoots, was hit in the chest and was dead at the scene.

He had several convictions of driving under the influence of alcohol as well as a possession of marijuana conviction.

Jackson’s son is Absentee Shawnee Tribal Police Chief Brad Jackson.

Her son said he stands by his mother’s request not to comment on the shooting details.

"I’m glad my mother is safe and she made it through this OK,” Brad Jackson said. "My heart goes out to the gentleman’s family and to everyone involved.”

Winky

I kilt him graveyard dead.

It was over before it started, in a blue state she'd be up on charges fer sure.

H2O boy

a warning shot

first we have to give the thug a psych exam to determine if and maybe and what he feeeeeeeels about his actions and then we have to take into account that he might just be shithouse rat crazy before we can defend ourselves and our property from some asshat who didnt bother warning anybody before he committed the crime of trespassing, then on to vandalism, attempted breaking and entering, and who kows what was next

but he should have the benfit of a warning shot

every day i am happier and happier there is a border that prevents some people from voting here

warning shot my happy ass. his days of needing warning shots are over. maybe you miss him i dont

MrBishop

Nah..you're right. 9+ minutes of banging on the door and screaming loud enough to wake the dead is the perfect way of sneaking into a place without warning the occupants, the neighbours or passers-by :rolleyes:

Cerise

Her closest neighbors probably live 1/2 mi. away, and I think she said they are in their late 80's.

jimpeel

Re: I kilt him graveyard dead.

bullshit.

Welcome to the blue state of New York.

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Hero dad under the gun
By PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Sunday, January 19th, 2003

Ronald Dixon froze in fear when he saw an intruder enter his toddler son's bedroom, and his heart pounded wildly after he fired two shots in a confrontation with the stranger. Later, upset that he might have taken a life, Dixon shook as the wounded man lay in his driveway.
The encounter was only the beginning of an emotional upheaval for the soft-spoken Brooklyn computer engineer.

A month later, Dixon's feelings still swing from relief when he smiles at his son, to terror about what could have happened, to dread about possibly serving time because he used an unlicensed gun.

"The only thing I could think about was my family - there was no telling what he would do to my children or girlfriend," Dixon said in an interview last week.

"If I have to go to jail on the weekends, I couldn't work," he added, his voice cracking. "I couldn't pay my mortgage."

On Dec. 14, Dixon shot a career burglar who allegedly broke into his Canarsie house. Dixon used a 9-mm. pistol legally purchased in Florida that he says he was in the process of registering here.

Long criminal record

Ivan Thompson, 40, who has a 14-page rap sheet for burglary and larceny, was wounded in the chest and groin. He is being held on $75,000 bail in a mental observation unit on Rikers Island, charged with burglary and criminal trespass.

Dixon, who holds two computer jobs, was charged with misdemeanor gun possession, and the Brooklyn district attorney offered him a plea bargain that would require four weekends on Rikers.

But Dixon's lawyer said any amount of time behind bars is unacceptable.

"Mr. Dixon is clearly a victim, and his family continues to suffer from what happened," said the lawyer, Andrew Friedman. "If necessary, we'll let a jury of his peers decide."

Dixon could get up to a year in jail if convicted.

District Attorney Charles Hynes is in the difficult position of prosecuting a hardworking, law-abiding Navy veteran for defending his family and home.

But there were 486 shootings in Brooklyn last year, and the borough remains awash in illegal firearms. A spokesman said Hynes cannot condone the use of an unlicensed gun.

"That doesn't mean the prosecution should go full steam ahead," said Friedman. "There has to be some common sense involved."

Dixon, 27, clutched a balled-up tissue, and his eyes filled at nearly every mention of his son, Kyle, who will turn 2 years old next month, and daughter, Brittany, 8.

"I work seven days a week. I have been doing it for three years, because I wanted a safe haven for my family," he said.

"Sometimes the kids are asleep by the time I get home, and they go to the baby-sitter and school before I get up. The great part is Mondays and Wednesdays, I pick them up at the baby-sitter's - my girlfriend goes to school - and I spend time with them."

Dixon came to the U.S. from Jamaica after graduating high school and served in the Navy from 1994 to 1997, in weapons ordnance.

He works as a network engineer at Carnegie Hall, Monday to Friday, and on weekends at a Wall Street financial firm.

He and his girlfriend, Tricia Best, and their children moved into the brick house in Canarsie in June.

"It was a very quiet neighborhood - maybe too quiet," Dixon said.

At 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday five weeks ago, Dixon was home in bed because he had called in sick. It was almost time for Kyle to wake up and run down the hall to his parents' room to watch his "Barney" video.

"I was supposed to be at work the night before, and would have gotten home about noon," Dixon recalled. "I was not totally asleep, and I heard a squeak in the floorboard. I opened my eyes and see a person snooping around, peeping around outside my bedroom.

"The only thing I could think of was my family. I didn't want to move, until he went to my son's room, and he went in."

Dixon said Best called 911, and he got his weapon from a closet and slowly crept up to the room. He said he saw Thompson rifling through dresser drawers.

"I went in ... I looked in his face, I didn't know this guy, I was so shocked ... In a nervous voice I said, 'What are you doing in my house?' and he ran toward me, yelling, 'Come upstairs!' like there were other people with him. I shot him 'cause I thought more people were in the house."

Shots and screams

Dixon continued, "He ran to me, I shot him and he fell down the stairs. My daughter started screaming - she had thought I got shot. My son was not in his room, he had been sleeping in my daughter's bed."

After the police arrived, Dixon looked outside.

"I saw him lying there, I saw him looking at me, I was nervous, shaking. I've never been in any type of trouble. I only fired a gun in Navy training.

"I very much felt bad that he got hurt. I was worried if he died. I wasn't hoping for that."

Dixon was taken to the 69th Precinct, and then sped through Central Booking.

"Everyone I came across was sympathetic," he said. "The court officer said he would have done the same thing."

He found out that the intruder, Thompson, has a long record of break-ins and burglaries.

Fearful at home

He said the thought of someone invading his home still terrifies him and his children.

"My children are not comfortable being downstairs by themselves."

He shook his head and said that all he ever wanted was just a good life, and he thought buying the house was the first step.

"I thought that house would give me a safe haven. Now I'm thinking if I didn't buy this house this never would have happened."