I HATE CANADIANS!

tonksy

my uncle owned a dairy
*gets all sentimental for black licorice and squished hedgehogs...er, pinpigs.

BeardofPants

If I ever figure out how to post a sound recording of my voice, you'll all be shocked and awed. Well... based upon my sampling of yanks when I was over there recently, you prolly just won't understand me.

unclehobart

BoP, You truly think that you might have an accent beyond reckoning? You reside, and (guessing) were raised in the largest metro area of New Zealand. That tends to smooth out accents. If you were raised on a wool farm in the outskirts of Invercargill, I might give your argument merit. I toured NZ back in 99 and found no local accents that didn't sound fairly clean and straightforward. The only indiscernable utterances came from the German and Chinese tourists.

tonksy

Rob found some site that played clips of words said by a Kiwi. It was creepy weird. I have an inability to describe my mother's accent (although I can mimic many of my friend's) but was able to say how it would be said before he clicked on it. Creepy.

BeardofPants

BoP, You truly think that you might have an accent beyond reckoning? You reside, and (guessing) were raised in the largest metro area of New Zealand. That tends to smooth out accents. If you were raised on a wool farm in the outskirts of Invercargill, I might give your argument merit. I toured NZ back in 99 and found no local accents that didn't sound fairly clean and straightforward. The only indiscernable utterances came from the German and Chinese tourists.

Yep, 'tis true that being a metropolitan has ironed out my accent. The problem tends to be the speed at which I talk, rather than the swallowing of the vowels alone. I found that when I was in the states, as long as I spoke slower than I usually did, I was fine. Still got more than a few puzzled looks though. :lol:

Hmm, maybe I'll ask the BF if we've got any stuff I can record my voice with.

tonksy

Christchurch but then her folks moved to Wellington in their dotage to be closer to Uncle Harvey. When I was over there we were in Wellington. I went to school there for about 6 months.

BeardofPants

Right. Then back stateside after? How come your mother dragged your ass half-way 'round the world if it was only for 6 months?

tonksy

Right. Then back stateside after? How come your mother dragged your ass half-way 'round the world if it was only for 6 months?

Okay...synopsis.
I was born in Orlando and moved to NZ immediately afterwards (I believe Christchurch) for 2 years. Then back to the states to Washington state. I was there until I was about 6 or so when we moved to Japan for a couple of months with my Mom's navy fiance. From Japan we moved to the Phillipines for about 2 years, then to NZ (Wellington) for 6-ish months when he was someplace where we could not follow. Then we went back to Japan for several months then back to stateside. I have lived in the South US since then.

Slim Pickens

Okay...synopsis.
I was born in Orlando and moved to NZ immediately afterwards (I believe Christchurch) for 2 years. Then back to the states to Washington state. I was there until I was about 6 or so when we moved to Japan for a couple of months with my Mom's navy fiance. From Japan we moved to the Phillipines for about 2 years, then to NZ (Wellington) for 6-ish months when he was someplace where we could not follow. Then we went back to Japan for several months then back to stateside. I have lived in the South US since then.

Yeah, Virginia to Florida to Texas to Louisiana to Texas to Louisiana to Georgia
:roll: :roll: :roll:

simplyred

Yeah, Virginia to Florida to Texas to Louisiana to Texas to Louisiana to Georgia
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah, but all that NON southern experience as a child....can we really consider her a southerner????

*remembering that tonks can cook greens like nobody's business retracts comment ;)