I hate SBC

Mirlyn

So, after months of trouble tickets, random downtime, and late night service windows to investigate, I think we're finally fixed. After getting our ISP to see errors on our T1 circuit, and to put the pressure on SBC, we finally got SBC to come out, test the demarc, and admit that there might be something wrong at our smartjack. A week later, a new box appeared on the side of the building and our circuit was moved to a new drop. So far, we've been up with no errors or downtime for over a week.

Getting pretty good at the testing and troubleshooting of these T1 circuits. And you bet I've made a lot of technical friends on the inside to confide with when I start seeing errors.

Now I've got to do the same thing with ATT, our other ISP. :drink:

Moral of the story: If you can avoid SBC, do it. Of course, In the middle of all this, they decide to merge again. !#$$%^!@#$!!!!! :banghead:

Inkara1

SBC's been pretty reliable for me. I'm just annoyed that the price just about doubled for DSL after a year and they don't seem to have any deals for existing customers unless I add on some phone services... which would erase the savings. I want to call up Charter and confirm pricing with them, then call SBC, tell them what Charter said and ask what they can do for me. I just keep forgetting to do that.

Mirlyn

Here's the problem.

Our location------------SBC-----------------------ISP

We pay a service fee to our ISPs to lease SBC lines to link us to the ISP. Unfortunately, that leaves the problem in three different hands: Our premise, the ISP, or SBC. Our point of contact is the ISP, who then can call SBC if there's still a problem. We basically have to get the ISP to find a problem, but not find a problem with their stuff or ours. Then get them to work with SBC directly, as SBC will not talk to the customer. I don't think I've heard of an ISP who likes working with SBC.

Lets just say I'm going to enjoy not hearing the pager go off for quite awhile once this is all done. Weeks, months, years even. :D

rrfield

SBC. What a bunch of fools. A while back, due to increasing regulation on the electric utility (see Black Out, Eastern Seaboard), we were required to have a reliable backup internet connection. At the time we bought routers and whatnot from SBC as they are/were a Cisco Gold partner and got bigtime discounts off of MSRP. Our rep insisted that she could provide us with internet at a cheap price. I told the woman that SBC is not our LEC, but she didn't listen. She quoted us two frame links for some price, sounded great, beat the other bids in terms of price per mbps. I mentioned to her again that SBC does not have a POP at our premise, but again she didn't listen. After the contracts were signed, she received a call from the engineer/tech responsible for completing the circuit. "Uh, we don't have a POP at that location. We will need to lease lines from the LEC." The woman then calls me, bitching about this, asking why I didn't tell her SBC wasn't our LEC and that leasing the lines from our LEC would cost us an additional $XXX (don't remember the exact price).

Long story longer, we reopened the bids, and in the 6 months that had passed our LEC made available a Metro Ethernet network and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

F SBC in the A.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Winky said:
SBC bought at&t

Thanks for choosing SBC.

That's so funny. We've come full circle & the children are caring for the parents.

sennoma

800lb Monkey - Part I

Maybe this is more info than you wanted, but just to let you know that others are continually battling SWB/SBC/AT&T on other fronts, here is an article that was recently submitted to a telcom magazine:

AT&T: the 800lb Monkey on the Back of Competition
By Paul J. Stautzenberger
February 20, 2006

[edit...now, provide a link to the artilcle if you choose but DO NOT cut & paste it, taking up 3 fulls posts. Gonz