fury

Administrator
Staff member
and it's still at 65% :headbang:

I love shitty ass slow hard drives like this IBM deathstar :headbang:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
89% now... It's a 60 gig, but about a quarter of it is gone to bad sectors, and then another quarter of it just gets deleted every time I reboot and it forces a disk check.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
You know, that might be a signal that you need a new hard drive.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Well, when's the last time you actually defraged the system....

You are doing it in safe mode right, as well as dumping all the crap in the temp directory and deleting all the IE temp files too?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Yep, windows defrag sucks balls. speedisk is much quicker.

And, I've found that if your drive isn't horribly fragmented or suffers from bad sectors, then simply copying all your data to another drive, deleting the data from the first drive, and copying it back often gets rid of most fragmentation, and runs about 35820983798 times faster than windows defrag.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, when's the last time you actually defraged the system....
I forget. Last year I think...

You are doing it in safe mode right, as well as dumping all the crap in the temp directory and deleting all the IE temp files too?
No, no, and no. I knew I was forgetting something :crying3:

PostCode

Major contributor!
Defrag in safe mode. There isn't a swap file holding down a big chunk of the hard drive that has to be worked around. Next boot, the swap file gets placed at the end of the data. Depending on RAM size, this chunk can be quite large.

B

Bubba

Love my Maxtor. I never defrag. It wears the drive out if you do it enough.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Wears the drive out? :confuse3: Drives are rated in MTBF, Mean Time Before Failure. This rating is in time, not wear, as the heads aren't even supposed to be even touching the platters. Wear comes from spinning the platters up and down, thus producing more strain on the drive motor. If anything, turning your computer on and off and using power management causes the wear.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That's kinda what I thought. I've heard it said that if a drive doesn't fail within the first 48 hours of use, it will usually last around 5 years, no matter how much you use it.