I'd like to think I have the wrong impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Not from me RM, i was rather intrigued by what you were saying and learned a few things about you i didnt know. In a good way to.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
you can be a flaming prick just egging on people.

I disagree. I lay my beliefs on the line & defend them with zeal. Why, if I disagree with anothers position, am I egging it on if I say so & they, given the same circumstances with me as the target, are just posting? I word my posts to be direct & unquestionable, usually.

Definition of an oxymoron said:
factors which should be controlled in ANY forum no matter how "free the speech"

other less professional admins do not

This is twice this week I've had to point to the obvious. I've got over 12000 posts here & people know wher I stand. You and other "new members" have recently shown up & started spewing trash without researching our site. We fight back. If you can't stand the heat...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Yes, come prepared. I await any and all comers in my shorts & t-shirt. Nothing stronger than a Pepsi & some will power. mmmmuuhhahahahahhahahahaha

ClaireBear

Banned
IDLEchild said:
Clairebear

The man has a family and a job. Despite his real world responsibilities he gives his time for free to help maintain the site.

It isn't his job where he must shut up and work for the money. Being a volunterr does not take away your right as a human.

Correct!

But IMHO Gonz is an unsuitable candidate for a position of administration... whether he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart or not!

Just because someone has a large post count or hangs around in here for a long time doesn't mean they will be an effective moderator or administrator and THATS what a lot of forums get wrong... the effectiveness of a volounteer admin/mod is to do with their personality and posting style. Its a similar mentality to putting Gengis Khan a headship/principal at a primary school/kindergarten... because he sewed his seed and had a lot of children!!!!!!

Gonz has an abrasive, acidic style and a tendancy to become extremely involved in debate which degenerates into flaming and blaming and instead of trying to calm the situation he allows it to continue... IMHO he is an unsuitable candidate for a postition of control... and I believe my opinion is supported by many other members who sadly no longer post as often as they once did.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
ClaireBear said:
Correct!

But IMHO Gonz is an unsuitable candidate for a position of administration... whether he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart or not!

Just because someone has a large post count or hangs around in here for a long time doesn't mean they will be an effective moderator or administrator and THATS what a lot of forums get wrong... the effectiveness of a volounteer admin/mod is to do with their personality and posting style. Its a similar mentality to putting Gengis Khan a headship/principal at a primary school/kindergarten... because he sewed his seed and had a lot of children!!!!!!

Gonz has an abrasive, acidic style and a tendancy to become extremely involved in debate which degenerates into flaming and blaming and instead of trying to calm the situation he allows it to continue... IMHO he is an unsuitable candidate for a postition of control... and I believe my opinion is supported by many other members who sadly no longer post as often as they once did.

Here's what I saw...

Gonz is pro-life. ClaireBear is pro-choice. Both of you have very strong beliefs. Until you, ClaireBear mentioned that you had an abortion, things, while heated, were not personal. Nobody knew about your choice until you brought your choice into the fray. When you did that, it wasn't just Gonz who said your choice was bad. In fact, not too many people disagreed with the thoughts of the others, and your feelings got hurt. My feelings get hurt sometimes, too, but you don't see me demanding someone else suffer because of it. That is what you're doing. You are demanding that someone be punished for disagreeing with you. Then, you take your argument here, and you, yourself, started to do personal attacks on quite a few people who happened to side, or seemed to side, with Gonz. I hate to sound mean, but, welcome to reality. It would be a boring world if everyone agreed with everyone else, now wouldn't it? Your ego got bruised, but you're not physically hurt, so stop placing blame, and start using your skills of debate. Just don't expect this to be one big happy family, because it ain't gonna happen. Choose your fights, and, by all means, state your opinion, but don't act hurt if some people don't like it. Stay, or go, because it is what you wish to do, but don't blame others for your choice.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
Here's what I saw...

Gonz is pro-life. ClaireBear is pro-choice. Both of you have very strong beliefs. Until you, ClaireBear mentioned that you had an abortion, things, while heated, were not personal. Nobody knew about your choice until you brought your choice into the fray. When you did that, it wasn't just Gonz who said your choice was bad. In fact, not too many people disagreed with the thoughts of the others, and your feelings got hurt. My feelings get hurt sometimes, too, but you don't see me demanding someone else suffer because of it. That is what you're doing. You are demanding that someone be punished for disagreeing with you. Then, you take your argument here, and you, yourself, started to do personal attacks on quite a few people who happened to side, or seemed to side, with Gonz. I hate to sound mean, but, welcome to reality. It would be a boring world if everyone agreed with everyone else, now wouldn't it? Your ego got bruised, but you're not physically hurt, so stop placing blame, and start using your skills of debate. Just don't expect this to be one big happy family, because it ain't gonna happen. Choose your fights, and, by all means, state your opinion, but don't act hurt if some people don't like it. Stay, or go, because it is what you wish to do, but don't blame others for your choice.

Yeah... that is what happened but THATS not the point I'm making!

I've looked back through older threads and I'm making a general statement about Gonz's inability to abide by and enforce the rules round here!

RM got personal.... very personal and the only person who's posts have been amended... are MINE!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I may be wrong but methinks "there's something rank in the state of Denmark" or rather OTC!

I'm suggesting that Gonz gets a print out of the AUP and staples it to the back of his hand so its visable at all times whilst posting here!

samcurry

Staff member
Claire,
Im very happy with Gonz. AND if you look at WHO did the editing it wasnt Gonz. He would sooner leave it all like it was. But it was you that did the name calling. And you were not the only one edited in that thread. But for you to come here and within a matter of just a couple days and less than 20 post Start to demand that we have a changing of the guard or now tell admin and mods they cannot post unless they agree or make it all fluffy so everyone is feeling good about themselves is ridiculas. As i stated earlier Please read the forum description It gets heated. You had already made it clear you didnt want to post in any threads about abortion. So all i can say at this point is STAY out of those threads. And for gods sake do not put your personal experiences into it.
Then all is happy again.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
ClaireBear said:
and I believe my opinion is supported by many other members who sadly no longer post as often as they once did.

Precisely as I suspected. You apparently joined with advance knowledge & brought your agenda as bait.

MrBishop

Gonz said:
Precisely as I suspected. You joined with advance knowledge & brought your agenda as bait.

Actually...I think that the abortion thread was mine. It's not my first time posting about that particularly flamable topic.

I've been noticing, as I'm sure that you have, the dissapearance of members as of late. Certain posters aren't coming back. I've talked to a few of them and the cite the RW as a primary reason for their withdrawl from OTC.

This worries me to no end. I don't want to see OTC go the way of JJR, just because it swings to the opposing end of the spectrum. Too little control instead of too much.

Maybe I'm just fretting for no reason...but when at least 2 members in the 10k club vanish, plus several in the 5k club either go entirely or suddenly drop their daily post-count to near extinction...I start to see portents in chicken entrails...ya know?

OTC is a great place. Perhaps the best site that I've found myself on... the comoradery here is astounding. We're one big ol' disfuntional family, bickering included.

Call me PC if you want...but somethings not right, and I'd like to help fix it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Bish said:
but somethings not right, and I'd like to help fix it.

As would we all. I'd like to point out once again that there are 11 other forums that are busting to be used & not quite abused. The RW is a high spirited place & by its very nature, highly charged. Hardly a reason to leave an entire site. A possible good reason to ignore one forum, admittedly. I have little use for the Art forum but I'm not planning on turning in my badge & splitting the scene. Nor should anyone else.

Yes Bish, you started the thread. Somebody usually starts a thread with good intentions (isn't the road to hell, oh never mind) and out of the woodwork come some nasty old critters. Lately there has been a rash of newbies with opinions that can't stand to be squashed under the banner of truth & light. Hell, let those opinions free, allow them to roam & get a breath of fresh air. However, when they are let out, like trained guard dogs, to attack, they will be shot down with the rest of the rabid beasts. Those who take time to read & catch up will understand rapidly enough that all are welcome and treated equally, like it or not.

samcurry

Staff member
Bish that is the one thing I dont understand. WHY do they insist on leaving? for the most part most of them only posted occassionally in the RW. their majority was elsewhere on the forums. so why would one forum determine their fate here. I could see it if they ONLY posted in RW but for the majority that wasnt the case. and outside of the RW they got along fine with everyone. So again WHY? its like they are wanting to change the rw and if they cant then "well we will just leave the whole site".
Not once did gonz ever weild and athority on them edit their post or ban any of them. he gave reasons and documents to back his arguments. I just dont get it.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
it's very easy to blame someone else for one's unhappiness, but at the end of the day it falls to onesself to pick up the pieces and find it on one's own.

if a website can make someone this miserable and unhappy, then perhaps it could be suggested that the problem isn't the website. :shrug:

Spliffy

MrBishop said:
The RW's heated up again...this time in the form of an Abortion thread. It got nasty..Clairebear became a big-ol target and got kicked liberally. She's obviously not happy for it...this is the expression of that unhappiness.

Happy to bring you up to par :)

Ah right.

Ta :)

MrBishop

Things have a way of washing over from one thread to another and from one forum to another. Ignoring a whole forum is harder than you might think. The RW is one of the few 'non-fluff' forums on here. The LL is mostly fluff and is the KK. Sci&Tech doesn't get as much attention as it should. Trying to ignore the RW is literally and figurativly like trying to ignore the real world. It's got to get talked about sometime. Man cannot live on fluff alone :)

Hence, people wander into the RW and express their opinions thinking that they're going to get LL-type responces...they don't. They get bruised and battered about...they take it to PM with their buddies...their buddies get all "White Knight", and try to come to the rescue... the RW gets quickly polarized and the next thing that you know...people are picking sides and making enemies.

I think that I don't shy from the RW...I know the rules, I can expect my share of bruises...occasionally, I see someone blindly enter the RW and get smacked around. Before they get their feet wet...they get in over their heads and feelings get hurt. Sometimes they get the idea that the whole of OTC is reflected in the RW.

When the older members leave...I think that its just exasperation at seeing so many come stumbling out of the RW and keep walking right out. I'm rambling...then again, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep.

Fuckit...I'm not a mod or an admin...I'm just trying to get a grasp on things as I see them. Thinking out loud. There may be no working solution.

Carry on, regardless of lives lost. :evilcool:

Status
Not open for further replies.