IE query

Anon_me

Whenever I click on a link in IE that opens a new window, the 2nd window never loads...just a blank screen. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks much ;)

Aunty Em

What version of IE do you have? Does this happen every time or only on certain sites? Does it happen when you click on a download button?

Give us some more information so that we can determine whether it's IE or the web links at fault.

Anon_me

IE 6. And it's every site. But I can still download, just can't open links in a 2nd window.

P/s: Another thing, is this a problem? :p

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 3/11/2003
Time: 3:08:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: LEWIS-D8BXHPU6F
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80004002 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Aunty Em

Was it working before?
Have you updated XP recently?

check your version under help - about internet explorer

it should be:

Version 6.0.2800.1106

Update versions: SP1,Q810847, Q813951

for the latest updates

Anon_me

Yep, was working before. And I have those updates listed plus Q328970, Q329929

p/s: I also can't open a link with the open in another window

Aunty Em

Can you restore your system to a point when it was working properly?

If so I suggest you do, then try reinstalling the updates one at a time testing after each install to see if it's working OK. If it is then make a new restore point and install the next one. Hopefully you'll find the one that's causing the problem. Or it may simply be that is hasn't installed properly.

That's all I can suggest. Maybe someone else has something to add.

Anon_me

Update

Ok...seems the problem was that one of my stick of RAM was burned to high heaven due to my comp being overclocked (which I didn't do since I'm a total computer illiterate) Anyhow, hopefully it's all fixed now that they've replaced the RAM, reset the BIOS, and reformatted/reinstall.

Aunty Em

That just goes to prove the difficulty of trying to find the reason for a problem over the internet. Sounds like the fsb was overclocked to the extent that the heat generated burnt out the ram. It doesn't sound like it has it's own heatsink - passive or active - a note for the future - is it still over-clocked? It may be an idea to install some. You'll find them on overclockers sites.

On the information you gave I was looking at it as an internal problem within IE and Windows, not a hardware problem. But I'm no expert I'm just learning myself so it's all good practice.

I'm glad you've got it sorted now. I shall remember for the future and thanks for letting me know what happened. :)

Aunty Em

I've just built another computer so as soon as I have networked them and got a better heatsink I will be unlocking and overclocking the older one using the mutiplyer. If that's successful I'm going to start fiddling about with the fsb so I'll probably invest in some ram sinks myself.