If I needed to buy a PC ...

chcr

Too cute for words
Alienware. Seriously, they're very proprietary but we have pretty good luck with Dell (I just bought an HP for AP though :shrug: ). Dell has recently figured out that all that trial shit they put on their PCs just pisses people off though.

You don't know any geeks who'll help you build one?

kuulani

Well, the ONE geek friend I have (nalani) is a mac person like me :D

I've only ever used a Dell and a Sony (both work computers) ... and the Dell works waaay better than the Sony. But I always thought Dell was a cheap brand.

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, the ONE geek friend I have (nalani) is a mac person like me :D

I've only ever used a Dell and a Sony (both work computers) ... and the Dell works waaay better than the Sony. But I always thought Dell was a cheap brand.

They use the same basic stuff in most of them. Alienware is an exception, but they're not inexpensive. You can have one built for you online at a fairly reasonable price, but you'd need to decide what components you wanted to go with. As far as Dell goes, they must be doing something right, they have a huge share of the market. My wife uses a Dell, albeit one I got from a client that was hit by lightning. The mainboard failed and I replaced it. The rest of the computers around here I built. The thing about buying a Dell, HP or something of that ilk is that you get it ready to go. If you build your own there are always driver issues and the operating system install to get through. If you tell me what you want it for, I might be able to make some recommendations.

Note that I'm about to become a peripheral Mac person. I'm getting Dara a Mac Mini for Christmas. This means that I'll have to learn to use it because she expects me to show her how to use it. :D

catocom

I though Dell, or Gateway, or somebody else bought out Alienware :confused:
wasn't it Dell...?
Gateway bought out E-machines too right?

catocom

oh BTW Dell has been using decent mobos, and Seagate HD, but I have
had one HD go out in one that was about 18mo old.
No warranty of 5 years through dell, and Seagate says you got go to them.:shrug:
7 other 3100 workstations, refurb, are going on 2 years now w/no problems.

The main thing is what kinda price range are you working with???

Like chic said they are mostly the same, but you do have to get just the
right model, within the respective companies.

The 2 main things you want to quiz them on are the HD brand, and Mobo model/brand.

Don't get one with an IBM HD Deathstar.

Look for the models that use like ASUS mobos, maybe an ABIT model...

If you can get one custom built, use someone you really trust, and be
be prepared for the extra software cost.
Software is something else too. If you get one Totally preinstalled with only some kind of restore disk,
instead of the separate installation disks, if the HD goes, it may cost more to repair.

Always make sure you backup your stuff.:nerd:

chcr

Too cute for words
Point of information. Leopard comes with Boot Camp built in. Are you sure you don't just need Windows?

kuulani

How come you gettin' PC anyways, if you're a mac-head? (FTR, I'm a mac person too.)

Well, job-wise, everyone around me has a PC, so that's the only factor of me even considering buying one ... plus, I always thought they were cheaper than macs, so I was also wondering if whatever I spent on a mac would buy me more on a pc. Basically I'm just shopping around right now. I'm fairly comfortable using both, but I prefer macs.

And to answer cat's question, I may be willing to spend around $1,500-$2,000 on a laptop.

Mirlyn

Well, job-wise, everyone around me has a PC, so that's the only factor of me even considering buying one ... plus, I always thought they were cheaper than macs, so I was also wondering if whatever I spent on a mac would buy me more on a pc. Basically I'm just shopping around right now. I'm fairly comfortable using both, but I prefer macs.

And to answer cat's question, I may be willing to spend around $1,500-$2,000 on a laptop.

I bought a Latitude D830 a few months ago for myself, and just bought a D531 for my dad for xmas. They use a magnesium/plastic "alloy" for the Latitude cases. Very rugged, and the system is fast and highly stable in both Linux and XP.

Cam got an Inspiron 1420 at the same time as mine. While I prefer the business-class Latitude line, its also a nice machine.

I vote go for XP instead of Vista though.

kuulani

I haven't actually heard anything bad about Leopard ... I just wanted to wait until they work all the bugs out :D

kuulani

Alienware.

That's pretty.

gallery_creative03_big.jpg

catocom

My uncle just got a new laptop
He got it at office depot which is kid of a drawback i guess, butt
It's a gateway wide screen, regular keyboard layout ...very nice.
It was about $700.

The only thing about it is the display is glossy, and to me it seems to have that glare like the old CTRs.