If we find life on other planets, how does that affect the world's religions?

chcr

Too cute for words
Does not affect mine in the least. :grinyes:

My opinion, anyway, is that it would not have a huge effect. In my opinion, most people believe what they believe in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The percentages might change some, but the overall religious picture would not change that much.

edited :retard:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Catholics around here have already something planned for that:

"God is so great and powerfull that it is irrational to believe we are the only ones priviledged with his gifts"

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
lol, yeah, they always have something to fall back unto...just like insurance companies :D

but i don't think it would change religion that much. it would change our view on the universe i guess, knowing we're not alone. hopefully it would strengthen our will to explore what is beyond this world, increasing our knowledge. doing this while NOT being led by politics, but by our true nature.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It would have a huge affect. It decidedly throws a wrench into the entire religious process. On the other hand, religious leaders would twist it to their advantage.

lacemyster

I don't care what would happen to the worlds religions. It wouldn't effect me. I just want to see the Aliens on earth!

freako104

it wouldnt affect most people unles they are extremely religious and believe humans are the only life form or something like that.

ris

if god made the earth and all its attributed crap in a week then he's had bags of time to sit about making all kinds of funky stuff elsewhere. in green. with little ray guns.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
For Christians:

Do aliens have original sin? Did Christ go to multiple planets and die multiple times? Or perhaps there are multiple Christs? Do aliens go to heaven? If we meet aliens, should we spread the gospel to them?

Just curious. Seriously. I think this topic is fascinating.

Jeslek

Banned
I firmly believe aliens exist. Anyone not from this world is an alien. The Bible does not elaborate on this subject so no conclusion can be made. There is nothing in the Bible that says aliens do NOT exist, but there are lots that suggest aliens DO exist (especially in Isaiah).

The Koran is a bit more complicated. While it doesn't say that aliens do not exist, it doesn't give suggestions that they do exist.

Inkara1

Maybe there are shitloads upon shitloads of other worlds that Christ is going to, doing the same thing he did here. That's why the second coming hasn't happened yet: because he has to have the first coming everywhere else before he can start on round two. :)

freako104

Jeslek said:
I firmly believe aliens exist. Anyone not from this world is an alien. The Bible does not elaborate on this subject so no conclusion can be made. There is nothing in the Bible that says aliens do NOT exist, but there are lots that suggest aliens DO exist (especially in Isaiah).

The Koran is a bit more complicated. While it doesn't say that aliens do not exist, it doesn't give suggestions that they do exist.

i had thought the bible said that humans were alone except for angels and god?

Inkara1 said:
Maybe there are shitloads upon shitloads of other worlds that Christ is going to, doing the same thing he did here. That's why the second coming hasn't happened yet: because he has to have the first coming everywhere else before he can start on round two. :)

never thought about it that way :wink2:

I've seen a Twilight zone episode where the first man was a stranded astronaut and the first woman the same, both from different planets stranded in a Garden on a distant planet... soil in her language was called Earth and he called the Planet Earth :D I think the episodes name was "probe 7 over and out."
His name was Adam and her name Eve :D

would be cool if it were true :headbang:

G4

Anybody read Carl Sagan´s Contact?
Fascinating book dealing with this very subject.
Ingenious idea on how God could reveal his existence in the very fabric of matter and energy, using numbers as an example... Worth reading, for believers and non-believers alike.

I personally believe that the stablished religions wouldn´t be affected by the aliens ;). Stablished religions evolve so slowly precisely thanks to their ability to not to acknoledge many objective facts...

chcr

Too cute for words
G4 said:
Anybody read Carl Sagan´s Contact?
Yes. One of my favorite books. An excellent movie as well.

If you look at my earlier post, I agree with you about religions too.

:D