In 1845

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Frederick Douglass, a self-taught runaway slave, wrote "The Republican Party is the ship, all else is the ocean" during the post-Reconstructionist era. He was oft criticized for his views during this time, especially by blacks. They should have listened. He knew what he was talking about.

Another interesting thing he wrote, talking about his own life, so easily slips into late 20th/early 21st century life. It could serve as a warning, to those willing to heed it.

...My mother & I were seperated when I was but an infant-before I knew her as my mother. It is a common custom, in the part of Maryland from which I ran away, to part children from their mothers at a very early age. Frequently, before the child has reached its twelfth month, its mother is taken from it, an hired out on some farm a considerable distance off, and the child is placed under the care of an old woman, too old for field labor. For what this seperation is done, I do not know, unless it be to hinder development of the child's affection towards its mother, and to blunt & destroy the natural affection of the mother for the child. This is the inevitable result.

Wow....he recognized a modern dilemma before femi-nazism without the aid of psychology. Striking.

Professur

And now, class, we have here a perfect example of a Gonzism. That is, finding the correct answer, using completely distorted information, and erroneous reasoning. In other words, right, but for all the wrong reasons.