Installing programs in Linux

Aunty Em

I have downloaded the flash plug-in for Mozilla and Linux to my desktop. Can someone please explain how I go about installing it?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
If it's an rpm, just double click on it, it should install from there, if it's a .tar then you may have to compile it. There should be a txt file in it that explains how to do this.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I meant just open it to read it, most .tar files include a txt file that tells you how to go about compliing/installing it.

Aunty Em

- I've done:

uncompress [filename], a directory [filename] is created. navigate to this directory.

but how do i do this?

from the command line, type ./flash-player installer to run the installer.

Aunty Em

OK I figured it out - right click inside the directory > open terminal here, then type.... :)

It's installed OK. Time to get some more. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
open konsole, su, then change to that directory and type ./flash-player installer

chcr

Too cute for words
Good, you figured it out. My boss was watching more closely thatn usual today, and I couldn't take time to respond. Some crap about "wasting company time" :moon2: PT is right though, if you can find rpm files for stuff, mandrake (and redhat) can install them automatically, which is easier. I'm all for easier. I always look for rpms first, then tarballs. I think plug-ins are a little harder to find as rpm files.

BTW, at the rate you're going, you'll pass me in Linux expertise sometime tonight or tomorrow. After that, I'll expect you to answer some of my questions, okay????:D

Edit--Ooops, I forgot. There is also a Software Manager in your K menu which can help install programs.

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
open konsole, su, then change to that directory and type ./flash-player installer

I need some instruction on changing directories in the command line. Is it like in DOS?

chcr

Too cute for words
Aunty Em said:
I need some instruction on changing directories in the command line. Is it like in DOS?
More or less, but the directory names are kind of confusing at first (well, they were to me, and I have UNIX experience, but not a lot). The main diff is you use the forward slash "/" rather thn the back slash "\". Here's a sample:
cd /home/chic/images
That would take you to where I store my gimp images.
"cd" changes directory just like in DOS, but don't forget the space.

chcr

Too cute for words
BTW, you can frequently search Google for"Linux how-to" and a short description of what you need. this will usually turn up a useful explanation of "how to" do what you're trying to get done. I use this method a lot, there's a lot of linux info on line.

Aunty Em

Thanks I can now change directories in su console. :)

Now I just have to figure out how to run a script!

To install Acrobat Reader 5.0.5, follow these steps:

- Make sure you have at least 30 MB of available disk space
- Install Reader 5.0.5 by running the INSTALL script

chcr

Too cute for words
In UNIX, I think it's "./" to run a script, I can't remember if its the same in linux or not, sorry.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Aunty Em said:
Thanks I can now change directories in su console. :)

hmmm, i think you misunderstood me :)

open a console (kde one is named Konsole), and then type the command "su" to get root access.

In order to execute a file, just cd to the directory and type
./filetoexecute

the ./ means "in this directory"

Another way is to type the complete path to the file

/home/yourhomedir/somedir/filetoexecute

If you are as lazy as i am, start using the tab key while you type paths :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Luis G said:
If you are as lazy as i am, start using the tab key while you type paths
Good one, Luis, I forgot about that.:D

I use Softdrake so much, I couldn't remember whether that ./ was the same for Linusx or not. Guess I'm just a GUI kind of guy. (ewww!)

Aunty Em

I'm still having problems installing Acrobat Reader. I get as far as being asked to enter the installation directory in the format [/usr/local/Acrobat5], but when I tell it where to go I keep getting an error intalling.

Where should I be putting it?