Installing programs in Linux

Aunty Em

OK, it took me about 2 minutes this morning to work it out Xmms and Gimp.... amazing the difference a good nights sleep makes. :)

Now I just need to sort out the sound from my CD-rom. The drive is working and the CD is spinning, but I just don't get any sound. ?(

I'll have to check inside the case... I'm not sure if there is a cd cable to the soundcard.

Aunty Em

Madam's on easter break so I've been out most of today and doing other things... does me good to have a break from the computer once in a while... so I'll look at it in the morning after I've dropped her at her special playscheme for the day... I think they're going bowling so I'm free from 10 till 3pm.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
there should be an icon in the kicker (kde menu), look under multimedia and sound.

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
hmmm, wait 5 minutes, i'm booting to linux :)

OK... I fiddled about with the panel and I suddenly got deafened! All the slide switches were turned up full, so I didn't touch them initially just turned on the cd light, so I tried sliding them up and down and suddenly got sound. Maybe it was just a bit slow realiseing I'd made a change? It's working fine now though. :)

Now I just have to figure how to make mozilla my default browser.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
that's going to be a bit tricky, 'cause there's no default interface for every program.

Best bet would be to change the .htm and .html file associations from konqueror (not the web browser but the file browser)

Aunty Em

Woo Hoo! Yes... thanks Luis, that worked OK

I've found the linux bootdisk howto so I think that's probably my next project. :)

... and I have discovered that my digital camara works in linux.

Aunty Em

I've finally figured out where all the configuration tools are as well and had a quick flit through them. It's gradually getting easier, but I keep expecting things to be the same as in windows which makes me feel a bit frustrated at times if I can't find what I want straight away... :rolleyes:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
don't worry aunty, you'll pick up on things pretty quickly, windows was probably pretty alien when you started using it too. and that's where we come in, i wish i would have had a resource like me when first started playing the linux game three years ago. last year when i finally forced myself over i was on the phone with octal every 5 minutes, now he probably asks me something as often as i ask him.

Aunty Em

If the truth be known, I used Microsoft Office for years without ever really taking notice of anything else on computers. Christ when I started I think we had Windows 3.1 and we used shortcut keys for everything and no mouse! Actually, we had BBC computers and when my boss invested in apple computers we thought they were brilliant! :eek:

I only really started taking notice of what else was going on and really finding my way around when I bought my first computer just over 4 years ago. But since building my first computer 2 years ago my knowledge seems to have expanded exponentially!