Intel shows how to send power wirelessly

JJR512

Intel shows how to send power wirelessly

By The Associated Press
Published: Aug 21, 2008

THE PROMISE: Using wireless power transmission, one day people might be able to recharge their laptops or cell phones or other gadgets without plugging them into an electrical socket. The technology makes use of some basic physics, as electric coils that resonate at the same frequency can transmit energy to each other at a distance.

THE PROOF: Intel Corp. researchers demonstrated Thursday how to make a 60-watt light bulb glow from an energy source 3 feet away. They did it while retaining 75 percent of the energy they started with, which is remarkably high efficiency. Their work built upon research unveiled last year out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

THE POTENTIAL: Santa Clara-based Intel is working on modifying a laptop to accept wireless power. One challenge is figuring out how to prevent the electromagnetic field from interfering with the computer's other parts.
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_7734/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UfJMULla

JJR512

Well, I don't know about any Nicholas, but some guy named Nikola Tesla would probably be pretty happy. But it's hard to tell with such a strange man as Tesla.

chcr

Too cute for words
One challenge is figuring out how to prevent the electromagnetic field from interfering with the computer's other parts.

It's an interesting concept but that's always been one of the issues. Pretty exciting in any case.

JJR512

Maybe when technology advances to the point that computer electronics are not really electronics in the traditional sense, and are not susceptible to EMI, will wireless power transmission have advanced to the point of being practicable.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
How long before wireless laptop chargers are causing bad teeth & male pattern baldness?

chcr

Too cute for words
Maybe when technology advances to the point that computer electronics are not really electronics in the traditional sense, and are not susceptible to EMI, will wireless power transmission have advanced to the point of being practicable.
I think that if they aren't "susceptible" to EMI then they will no longer run on electricity so the point will be moot. ;)

Inkara1

Would the electromagnetic field also nuke the sperm of a make sitting in the field? Sounds like an interesting method of birth control.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Laptops already have that effect ;)

Edit: being more specific, if you are one of those that like to use a laptop on your lap, you better put some ice on your testicles while working, 'cause the temperature raise will make you sterile in the long run.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
As soon as I see one of these researchers walk between the power source sending the power and the item receiving the power without getting the shit knocked out of them, then I'll think this is feasible. Until then, that nano will not be sitting in my fucking lap with a Tesla coil pointed at it...

chcr

Too cute for words
As soon as I see one of these researchers walk between the power source sending the power and the item receiving the power without getting the shit knocked out of them, then I'll think this is feasible. Until then, that nano will not be sitting in my fucking lap with a Tesla coil pointed at it...

Chicken. :lol: