Interesting problem

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That's kinda what I'm thinking too, don't know enough about the directx stuff but is directdraw that different from direct3d?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
PT said:
That's kinda what I'm thinking too, don't know enough about the directx stuff but is directdraw that different from direct3d?

The API is the same, but the inner work in the card is way too different. On 3d mode the card stores the texture bitmaps, calculates texture projections, lightning and such. When in 2D mode it only allows direct access to the screen buffer (whose ammount of memory needed is way lower than in 3d mode)

PT

So if it's a memory problem it may just not be using the location that has the problem while in 2d mode, but uses it all while in 3d?

Raven

Annoying SOB
Luis G said:
The API is the same, but the inner work in the card is way too different. On 3d mode the card stores the texture bitmaps, calculates texture projections, lightning and such. When in 2D mode it only allows direct access to the screen buffer (whose ammount of memory needed is way lower than in 3d mode)
That would make a video memory error the most likely cause then.

Luis G

Staff member
PT said:
So if it's a memory problem it may just not be using the location that has the problem while in 2d mode, but uses it all while in 3d?

Yes.

Compute the ammount of video memory used in bytes while in 2d mode like this:
width * heigth * bit depth / 8
(multiply the number by 2 and you get the ammount used while in double buffer mode)

There's no way of knowing how much memory it uses on 3d, it depends on the detail, objects and resolution.

PT

Alright, well. I'm still gonna try swapping vid cards with my wifes tonight and see what happens there, but it looks like Santa is going to bring me a new vid card for xmas.

Luis G

Staff member
PT said:
Alright, well. I'm still gonna try swapping vid cards with my wifes tonight and see what happens there, but it looks like Santa is going to bring me a new vid card for xmas.

The problem could also lie within the AGP memory, when the card runs out of memory the system memory is used to store textures and the card access the main memory as if it was its own. Try running a game at the lowest possible resolution.

HomeLAN

Personally, I think it's power supply. When you initiate a game, you're spinning up a CD drive and hard drive at the same time. Pretty harsh power draw, and a reboot at that time is a pretty classic symptom of a PS on the way out. Got a spare to test with?

Raven

Annoying SOB
HomeLAN said:
Personally, I think it's power supply. When you initiate a game, you're spinning up a CD drive and hard drive at the same time. Pretty harsh power draw, and a reboot at that time is a pretty classic symptom of a PS on the way out. Got a spare to test with?
Does the same thing under the D3D functionality tests so I doubt it would be the PSU in that case, there wouldn't be much (if any) extra power drain. In this case I'd be more inclined to go with a card/socket failure but thats just personal opinion.

PT

Besides swapping that with my wifes pc I don't have a spare. Gave my last one to my bro-in-law. Didn't get a chance to swap the vid cards last night, hopefully tonight.

chcr

Too cute for words
PT said:
Besides swapping that with my wifes pc I don't have a spare. Gave my last one to my bro-in-law. Didn't get a chance to swap the vid cards last night, hopefully tonight.

You're not letting real life interfere with your computer life are you??????

A.B.Normal

HomeLAN said:

Thats what I was thinking but he said he fixed the rebooting problem

PT said:
Now, I did make it stop restarting, under system properties, startup and recovery, unchecked the box that makes it restart on an error. Now it just does a bsod. Get an error code too. Forgot to bring that error code with me, but it just says STOP 0x000 something something something.

PT

chcr said:
You're not letting real life interfere with your computer life are you??????
Yes, I'm sorry. :disgust2:

But it was for sex, is that ok? :D

Ok, I lied, it wasn't anything that good, just real life bullshit.