Iowa Woman Drinks Bat-Infused Coffee

JJR512

Iowa Woman Drinks Bat-Infused Coffee

Woman Finds Bat In Coffee Filter

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- It wasn't just the caffeine that gave an Iowa woman an extra jolt after she had her morning coffee. It was also the bat she found in the filter.

The Iowa Department of Public Health said the woman reported a bat in her house but wasn't too worried about it. She turned on her automatic coffee maker before bedtime and drank her coffee the next morning.

She discovered the bat in the filter when she went to clean it that night. The woman has undergone treatment for possible rabies.

Health officials said the bat was sent to a lab but that its brain was too cooked by the hot water to determine whether it had rabies.
http://www.wbaltv.com/food/17578911...tml=bal_irr&ts=T&tmi=bal_irr_1_01300309292008

2minkey

bootlicker
well at least it was filtered.

come to think of it using a french press might crunch it up a little, maybe coax it into releasing some fluids. could be worse.

of course i'm also going to call you a "snob" for even mentioning a french press in these humble, backwoods forums. we ain't need no guttarnit french press n'shit on mah snowmobile. free willy!

tonksy

Yeah...but it's kinda like my closed garage door theory. I cannot see the entire garage door when I go to close it in the evening as the car is in the garage. I always fear that a cat will make a mad dash for the closing door ala Indian Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark...but I know when the door closes all the way to the ground at the corner I can see there is no cat propping it up (of course the squal a squished kitty would make might be a greater tip off but still).
My point being that if I can push the press all the way to the stopping point then there is nothing foreign in there (if I even were to miss said bat when I put in the grounds to begin with).

French presses rule *neener neener*

BeardofPants

Man, I wish we was classy like y'all. We call the french press "plunger coffee" over here.

<edit> and call me a heathen, but I prefer espresso to french press.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
well at least it was filtered.

come to think of it using a french press might crunch it up a little, maybe coax it into releasing some fluids. could be worse.

of course i'm also going to call you a "snob" for even mentioning a french press in these humble, backwoods forums. we ain't need no guttarnit french press n'shit on mah snowmobile. free willy!

I've called her and Rob both 'snobs' for using that 'plunger'. A real Merricun drinks Field Coffee...

To make my famous GI Field Coffee you begin with 20 gallons of potable water from the water trailer. It's best when it's carried through a rice paddy knee deep full of water or a hot, steamy jungle. Bring it to a boil in a kettle over a standard issue field mess gasoline operated burner — preferably in the early morning darkness so as not to give your position away to the enemy. If you survive the lighting of the stove, you proceed to the next step.

When the water boils, stir in two, 2-pound cans of ground coffee (it was probably Maxwell House coffee in an olive drab can). Depending on how strong the men like it you may adjust the amount upward or downward to suit their tastes. Once thoroughly stirred, lower the stove's setting until the water simmers. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the stove and add slowly one quart of cold water in a circular fashion starting in the center and working outward. This step takes the grounds to the bottom of the pot. Be careful not to disturb the brewed coffee but gently ladle the coffee from the top downward into another container. Preferably a coffee urn. Leave the little bit of coffee remaining in the bottom of the kettle behind. It contains the grounds.

Inkara1

Hey, Gato, you left out the best part of that... where he said the coffee is quite good, but then again, his taste buds were shot off in the war.

chcr

Too cute for words
Man, I wish we was classy like y'all. We call the french press "plunger coffee" over here.

<edit> and call me a heathen, but I prefer espresso to french press.

The french press is the best way to make what most Americans refer to as "coffee." Espresso is the best thing you can do with coffee under any circumstances. :beerbang:

Bats are strictly optional.

Gato_Solo

The french press is the best way to make what most Americans refer to as "coffee." Espresso is the best thing you can do with coffee under any circumstances. :beerbang:

Bats are strictly optional.

Heathen...The common percolator is better. That 'French press' bruises the beans...plus you can't make enough coffee for everybody. :p

chcr

Too cute for words
Heathen...The common percolator is better. That 'French press' bruises the beans...plus you can't make enough coffee for everybody. :p

Well, a percolator is okay if you like your coffee burnt, I'll give you that. Does the French press bruise those beans before or after I grind them? :p

Gato_Solo

Well, a percolator is okay if you like your coffee burnt, I'll give you that. Does the French press bruise those beans before or after I grind them? :p

Boiling water burns the beans, eh? How hot is that water you use in that plunger contraption?

And the answer is yes. :p

tonksy

Boiling water burns the beans, eh? How hot is that water you use in that plunger contraption?

And the answer is yes. :p

[ :nerd: ]Actually, we use a probe thermometer that alerts us just before the boiling point. That way the grinds are not scalded. [/ :nerd: ]

Gato_Solo

When the boiling water rises to the top of the tube in the percolater, I'm sure it loses a couple of degrees as well. :shrug:

BTW...the proper serving temperature of coffee is supposed to be 165F.

chcr

Too cute for words

95.50564º C ;)

No thermometer necessary BTW. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat for 10 seconds and pour. The problem with a percolator (IMHO) is that it continually reboils the coffee until it's done. I like it better if it's never boiled in the first place.

Edit: This is brewing temperature, not serving temperature.

Gato_Solo

95.50564º C ;)

No thermometer necessary BTW. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat for 10 seconds and pour. The problem with a percolator (IMHO) is that it continually reboils the coffee until it's done. I like it better if it's never boiled in the first place.

Edit: This is brewing temperature, not serving temperature.

Good luck getting your coffee to brew at that low-ass temperature. You ain't makin' "sun tea"...:p