Is protesting still good?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
PuterTutor said:
So am I real or is this all just my imagination? If it's my imagination, then I must be real to have an imagination, but then I'm real, so it's probably real. But if it's real then it's not my imagination. If it's not my imagination, maybe I'm not real.

No one has ever truly been a solopsist.

Fuk hostiry. It doesn't take a look at history to knowm that lkja

Ardsgaine

outside looking in said:
No one has ever truly been a solopsist.

Schopenhauer, realizing that the logical conclusion of his philosophy was solipsism, escaped it by saying that solipsism was more in need of a cure than a refutation. :)

outside looking in said:
Fuk hostiry. It doesn't take a look at history to knowm that lkja

lkja? ?(

Is that a private language you're speaking there? ;)

freako104

Ardsgaine said:
w do you know that?

i dont except that there are things we dont know. because there are things out there we dont know who knows what it can do if we do know it.

trippy and i got my philosophy course today :)

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
chcr said:
Not even Descartes?
No, not even Descartes. I personally don't think it is a logically consistent belief system to hold... i.e., I think it is impossible to truly be a solopsist on simple logical grounds. By the definition of solopsism, I think it denies itself belief.

I don't think I've ever seen a rigorous proof showing it is logically inconsistent (i.e., essentially a mathematical proof), but I've read some discussions which made strong arguments along those lines.

chcr

Too cute for words
outside looking in said:
I personally don't think it is a logically consistent belief system to hold...
Well, I don't agree that it denies itself, but I agree that it isn't logical. Heck, even if it were completely true, it would be senseless to believe it, wouldn't it?

Besides, if this were a universe populated by me, would there be so many people who piss me off???? :D

Ardsgaine

outside looking in said:
No, not even Descartes.

Technically, he is. He thought that he reasoned his way back to reality, but his reasoning was so incredibly lame, that, in truth, he's still locked inside his head in his own little world.

outside looking in said:
I think it is impossible to truly be a solopsist on simple logical grounds.

As Ayn Rand put it, "a consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms." That's not to say that solipsism is simply self-contradictory, though. It is contradictory to reality. We know first hand what it means to be conscious of the world, and it is not a creative process.