Is this excessive? Is there any potential harm?

I have acid reflux, and I used to take Prilosec OTC, but I later found that that class of drug, (proton pump inhibitors) is actually really bad for you because it removes 90% of the natural stomach acids and it actually made me sick. The stomach was never meant to be anything less than extremely acidic, and in reflux the problem lies in the top of the stomach allowing that natural acid to escape. There are also basic practices that help alleviate the problem as well.

In any case I went on Ranitidine (generic prescription strength Zantac). It works OK, but it is a twice a day pill and I often forget the later dose until the acid sets in. So until the drug can work, I have about 1 1/2 hour lag in which it takes no less than one dose of SIX Tums and sometimes as many as three doses of six. Somehow it seems like it may not be a good thing?!? I should program an alarm into the iPhone I guess....

catocom

gotta find the right stomach pill for you.
Prevacid works best for me, then nexium, prilosec, tagmet...

I've been taking prevacid for years now, and it works great for me.
I also have hepatitis b and c (mostly dormant-like now)....no problems.

Altron

tums are just IIRC calcium carbonate.

It's a molecule of one calcium, one carbon, and three oxygens.

Acids are charactericized as such because they have a high concentration of hydrogen ions (protons) (the "H" in "pH" is for hydrogen), and another ion, maybe sulfate or chlorine or something.

When you eat the tums, the molecular bonds break, and one oxygen molecule from the tums bonds with 2 hydrogen ions in your stomach, creating one water molecule. Then the remaining carbon and 2 oxygens form carbon dioxide (omg, make sure u buy enough carbon credits from al gore - you might have some noxious tailpipe carbon emissions), and the calcium helps build strong bones, like mamma said.

So, I don't think the Tums can actually harm you, but in this case, it's just regulating the pH in your stomach, which is something your stomach should be doing naturally. My advice is to go to the doctor, because having to take 18 tums over the course of 90 minutes is not normal, and you want to get this issue addressed before you wind up with an ulcer or something.

You know what is good on normal whole wheat but would be better on white probably is this bologna they sell at this little store. It's Bar S Garlic Bologna, and it's the best bologna ever made! A bit of best foods (Hellman's Mayo for you easterners), a touch of yellow mustard, and Velveeta slices.....White trash gourmet! It's making me hungry just thinking about it!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Change your habits and you should be fine most of the time. Try to have your heavy meals before 4pm and in the night have something really really light, like a glass of milk.

I have hiatal (??) hernia I've found that I should not have these after certain hours: chorizo, bacon, beer, ketchup, sweets, sodas and fat in general. I can have those without a problem during the day as long as the portions aren't excessive.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*unsure if whole wheat or white works better at absorbing acids while making littl ework necessary*

We eat cracked grain wheat ('cept fo rmy dumbass teenage son)

2minkey

bootlicker
tums is just calcium, so no problems, if you want some homeopathic cures message me

some of the freaks that are hardcore into homeopathy (as well as worrying about electromagetic fields and other wacky shit) would also suggest that the calcium in tums is in a nonbioavailable form and leads to stone formation or some shit. i forget the specific argument. may be something to it. may not be.

catocom

I'm over 200lbs, and use 1 tsp to 11-12 oz.
use it all the time if my scrip runs out before I get to the Rx.

it only works so many days before it doesn't anymore though, until a break from it.
for me.