Is this normal?

Anon_me

Another newb question :rolleyes: My computer seems to be constantly making this buzzing sound which someone told me was my hardrive being read. But it just seems to do this constantly and non-stop, and then there are times when it just up and stops and no sound and then it starts again. Is this normal? :confuse2:

ris

does the hdd light come on constantly as well?

my comp makes the odd buzzing noise now and again but my case isn't of the highest quality.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I was also thinking, Cd-Rom? If I keep a cd in the tray, it spins up every now and then, even if I don't use it.

greenfreak

Hard Disk Drive. There is usually a couple of lights on the front of the computer, one is steady for the power light and the HDD light comes on when you access the hard drive. If you go into MY Computer and double click on your C drive, watch the front of your computer and see if the a light flickers-that would be your HDD light.

If you do have a HDD light, watch it when you hear that noise, and if it seems to be making noise when the light is flickering, it's your hard drive.

Right click on your My Computer icon and choose Properties. Tell me how much RAM you have. It should be towards the bottom of the window that comes up. Is this a new computer or did you just install XP on an old computer?

Anon_me

From what I remember, the HDD light wasn't on when there was the noise. I have 1GB of ram. And this is a fairly new computer, less than a year.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
If you tap on the top of the case, does the noise stop for a second or change sounds? What about if you kick the case really hard?

Just kidding... don't kick it. But, tapping on the top (slapping it with your hand... just not too hard) is a good way to find out if it's a fan or other. If it's other, it can only be CD-ROM or hard drive. To narrow that down, open your CD-ROM tray and leave it open for a long time. Do you ever notice the sound with it open?