Israel vs ...

spike

International law is law. The Geneva Convention is law. Your selective use of laws is not the way law works.

Professur

spike said:
International law is law. The Geneva Convention is law. Your selective use of laws is not the way law works.

I beg your pardon, but I believe I already went over this. The geneva convention only applies to uniformed, standing military. Geurilla, ununiformed militia, and armed civilians are not protected in any way by it.

spike

Professur said:
I beg your pardon, but I believe I already went over this. The geneva convention only applies to uniformed, standing military. Geurilla, ununiformed militia, and armed civilians are not protected in any way by it.

Damn, we did go over this:

Belligerent occupation is governed by The Hague Regulations of 1907, as well as by the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949, and the customary laws of belligerent occupation. Security Council Resolution 1322 (2000), paragraph 3 continued: "Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to abide scrupulously by its legal obligations and its responsibilities under the Fourth Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in a Time of War of 12 August 1949;..." Again, the Security Council vote was 14 to 0, becoming obligatory international law.

The Fourth Geneva Convention applies to the West Bank, to the Gaza Strip, and to the entire City of Jerusalem, in order to protect the Palestinians living there. The Palestinian People living in this Palestinian Land are "protected persons" within the meaning of the Fourth Geneva Convention. All of their rights are sacred under international law.

There are 149 substantive articles of the Fourth Geneva Convention that protect the rights of every one of these Palestinians living in occupied Palestine. The Israeli Government is currently violating, and has since 1967 been violating, almost each and every one of these sacred rights of the Palestinian People recognized by the Fourth Geneva Convention. Indeed, violations of the Fourth Geneva Convention are war crimes.

"Look kids, it's Big Ben!"

spike

Gonz said:
The GC is a treaty signed by a majority of nations. It's not law.

The Geneva Conventions consist of four treaties formulated in Geneva, Switzerland, that set the standards for international law for humanitarian concerns. The conventions were the results of efforts by Henri Dunant, who was motivated by the horrors of war he witnessed at the Battle of Solferino in 1859.

As per article 49, 50, 129 and 146 of the Geneva Conventions I, II, III and IV, respectively, all signatory states are required to enact sufficient national law to make grave violations of the Geneva Conventions a punishable criminal offense.

http://www.answers.com/geneva+convention&r=67

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
all signatory states are required to enact sufficient national law to make grave violations of the Geneva Conventions a punishable criminal offense.

Or they can break the treaty. :shrug: