It's not Gonz's fault, it's his brain.

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
After the better part of two months I can finally say I'm a non-smoker. The constant draw (less than cravings) has withered away.

I do miss smoking though. I enjoyed it.

Congratulations, man. I know how tough it is to get to that point.

I enjoyed it too, but I fing that I enjoy having a working nose as well.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A working nose? When can I apply for that? (ie, still nothing good has come from this)

chcr

Too cute for words
AlphaTroll said:
Was this thread specifically put here for Prof to mod? :eek6:

Not at all. Wasn't sure where to put it, since I don't really consider psychology to be a science.

MrBishop

chcr said:
Not at all. Wasn't sure where to put it, since I don't really consider psychology to be a science.

This isn't psychology though...it's psychiatry (brain chemistry and biology). Far closer to medicine and it IS a science.

As for psychology not being a science...I have to disagree with you. It's a study of cause and effect, much like physics, though it deals less with math and more with chaos theory than does physics...and the timeline is longer (in general) than in most physics experiments.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
This isn't psychology though...it's psychiatry (brain chemistry and biology). Far closer to medicine and it IS a science.

As for psychology not being a science...I have to disagree with you. It's a study of cause and effect, much like physics, though it deals less with math and more with chaos theory than does physics...and the timeline is longer (in general) than in most physics experiments.

Lots of people disagree with me, Bish. It gives my life a certain zest.:D Good point about the psychiatry though.

Professur

Hey bish. You know what's also a science now? Chiro. My health insurance even pays for it.

10 years ago, it was called a massage, and I could get a blowjob from the same person. the biggest difference between a chiropractor and a psychologist?

None. they both wanna fuck you for money.

PT, I'm sure you're right. But then, not every mechanic wants to jip me either. Nor does every car salesman wanna rip me off. Or every politician wanna ....

You get the message.

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
A working nose? When can I apply for that? (ie, still nothing good has come from this)

In about three more months. My sense of taste never really did improve, though.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Professur said:
Hey bish. You know what's also a science now? Chiro. My health insurance even pays for it.

10 years ago, it was called a massage, and I could get a blowjob from the same person. the biggest difference between a chiropractor and a psychologist?

PT, I'm sure you're right. But then, not every mechanic wants to jip me either. Nor does every car salesman wanna rip me off. Or every politician wanna ....

You get the message.
I do get the message, not everyone is bad, but not everyone is good either. I actually meant to continue on that a little more yesterday but I got busy so I just submitted what I had.

The main problem with Psychology came about 10-15 years ago, basically about the same time as the big nature/nurture argument began. Since the nurture people found that your upbringing made all the difference in how children behaved when they became adults, then the screwed up ones must be the way they are because of their parents. Now, I'm not disputing that, I am probably more of a nurture person than nature, but the problem came when the psychologists decided since the problem came from Mommy and Daddy, the treatment would be to blame Mommy and Daddy for it. Well, that's all well and good, except all that does is justifies the kid to keep doing what he was doing cause it's not his fault. So, now that Most psychologists realize this, they don't blame the parents for the kids being fucked up. It might still be because of something Mommy or Daddy did, but the problem belongs to the kid, not Mommy or Daddy. Now, if I could just get the rest of the psychologists behind me, we'd be set.

MrBishop

Professur said:

You get the message.

You're thinking Masseuse, not Chiropractician. Masseuses work on your muscles, Chiros work on your spine...and they have a degree....they have to because they run the chance of paralizing you if they don't do it right. Stee-rike two!!!

Modern doctors of Chiropractic ( D.C. ), like the medical doctor, ( M.D.) must first receive a 4 year degree taking premedical courses in Anatomy, Chemistry, and Physics. After graduating from college, with a pre-med degree, the Chiropractic student enters Chiropractic school for another four and a half years. Chiropractic doctors take the same courses as medical school doctors and use the exact same books for the basic sciences. The difference is in the treatment courses. Chiropractors take no courses in surgery or pharmacology. Instead of surgery and Pharmacology, Chiropractors take courses in Biomechanics, Engineering, Physics and the study of movement (Kinesiology) and especially manipulation also called adjusting. We also take courses in physical medicine that enable us to use modalities of heat and ultrasound, etc.

Professur

You don't mind if I pass on that, do ya?

It's not your source, my friend. It's the source of the source. The medical association at large, that I don't trust. Don't forget. I work behind the counter of many a pharmacy. I see what the medical community deals in. Money. Lots of it. I see hundreds of people being prescribed 30+ pills a day. 12 different medications. To the point that their pills have to be supplied in a special type of tray just so that they have a hope of getting all the right pills at the right time. I find it difficult to believe that anyone has that much wrong with them, and isn't under 24/7 medical care. I work on their accounting computers. I see what kind of numbers they pull in.

Not that they're anything special. Mechanics worldwide are renowned for handing owners bills for work not done. Work done that didn't need done. Damaging a perfectly good piece, so that it'll need replaced. Ever see what a rebuilt axel consists of? Unless the bearing it totally fucked, they take the 'core', recharge it with heavy grease, slap on a new boot, and voila, done.
I've a lawyer working hard trying to clear up the legal tangle left by the owner of the house I'm trying to buy. Nice guy. I recommend him highly. Friend of a friend. But he's still a lawyer, isn't he? Only difference this time is that he's working for himself. If he can't free up the house for me to buy, he doesn't get paid. He gets screwed by his own system.
Same as a mechanic doesn't fuck up his own car.
Same as a doctor doesn't over prescribe to his mother.
Same as a masseuse doesn't need a chiro.
Same as a smoker doesn't need an excuse not to quit.

MrBishop

Professur said:
You don't mind if I pass on that, do ya?

It's not your source, my friend. It's the source of the source. The medical association at large, that I don't trust. Don't forget. I work behind the counter of many a pharmacy. I see what the medical community deals in. Money. Lots of it. I see hundreds of people being prescribed 30+ pills a day. 12 different medications. To the point that their pills have to be supplied in a special type of tray just so that they have a hope of getting all the right pills at the right time. I find it difficult to believe that anyone has that much wrong with them, and isn't under 24/7 medical care. I work on their accounting computers. I see what kind of numbers they pull in.

Not that they're anything special. Mechanics worldwide are renowned for handing owners bills for work not done. Work done that didn't need done. Damaging a perfectly good piece, so that it'll need replaced. Ever see what a rebuilt axel consists of? Unless the bearing it totally fucked, they take the 'core', recharge it with heavy grease, slap on a new boot, and voila, done.
I've a lawyer working hard trying to clear up the legal tangle left by the owner of the house I'm trying to buy. Nice guy. I recommend him highly. Friend of a friend. But he's still a lawyer, isn't he? Only difference this time is that he's working for himself. If he can't free up the house for me to buy, he doesn't get paid. He gets screwed by his own system.
Same as a mechanic doesn't fuck up his own car.
Same as a doctor doesn't over prescribe to his mother.
Same as a masseuse doesn't need a chiro.
Same as a smoker doesn't need an excuse not to quit.

Find me anyone/any company/ who doesn't work for money.
Find me any profession that isn't tarnished by a few bad apples.

You don't trust doctors because they make too much money?

Professur

I don't trust doctors because I don't trust anyone who tries to exert control over me. Anyone who thinks he knows what's best for me better than I do.

And I don't trust anyone who puts himself in a position to do that.

There's an old saying. Those who seek power are the ones least capable of wielding it.

But all of this arguing back and forth doesn't change the original point of this thread. That point being that smokers now have a study they can point at as an excuse not to quit smoking.

MrBishop

Professur said:
I don't trust doctors because I don't trust anyone who tries to exert control over me. Anyone who thinks he knows what's best for me better than I do.

And I don't trust anyone who puts himself in a position to do that.

There's an old saying. Those who seek power are the ones least capable of wielding it.

But all of this arguing back and forth doesn't change the original point of this thread. That point being that smokers now have a study they can point at as an excuse not to quit smoking.

You can't have ultimate knowledge over everything. Doctors know what's good for you better than you do because they've studied it for years, even decades, the same as you know what's better for my computer's health more than I do...

As for exerting power over you...if you don't want to take the pills, you don't have to. If you don't want to go to the hospital when you're sick or injured, no one is forcing you to. Feel free to home-deliver V3 yourself. Splint your own broken legs, etc... no one is forcing you to go to a doctor, and frankly...other than the Hypocratic Oath, I'm sure that Doctors would rather see peple who follow their advice over someone who thinks that they know better and disregard their suggestions.

I also greatly doubt that Doctors go through all that training because it gives them a power-trip. They might develop a large ego after the fact, but it's often well-deserved.

MrBishop

Professur said:

back to the thread if you will... no...smokers don't have a study that gives them an excuse not to quit. Smokers now have a study stating why they are having a hard time quitting, or why they started in the first place...in a similar vein, studies on addictions (chemical - ie nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, heroin, alcohol) help us understand the addiction process more. If someone decides to use it as an excuse to not stop doesn't mean that the study is useless, or that this was the ultimate goal of the study.

Professur

I guess you see aqua marine when you look up dude. Coz you sure ain't livin' in the same world I am.

And as for delivering V4.0 You guys are the ones that forewent doctors and used a half trained midwife.

And the power trip ...

Surely you remember standing behind me when I had to threaten in order to get my kid outta the hospital nursery? The nurse who knew better? And wouldn't give me my own baby? I think that single event more than justifies my opinions of the profession.

MrBishop

Professur said:
And as for delivering V4.0 You guys are the ones that forewent doctors and used a half trained midwife..

OK...so, now you're insulting midwives. That 'half-trained' midwife has a degree and has been delivering babies for 45 years (3-8 per month). Let's say...umh 4,000 births. No deaths during childbirth. Ya know...that beats the hell out of most Docs.
MrsBish doesn't trust docs...like you, but with a reason behind it, so we went for a midwife instead. The next kid will be home-birthed (now legal in Canada). Ya know...if you mistrust docs that much, I can always PM you the name and contact info for our midwife...I'm sure that she'd be glad to talk to you about the option.

The birthing center is linked with a hospital should anything go awry. They don't take multiple births (twins etc) and medically-complicated births (AIDS babies, premature etc). I like our decision. Ya know why? The midwife stepped in a few times, and coached us, but I, MrBishop, delivered my son....I mean that. I helped get him out, I cleaned him up, cut the chord, devivered the placenta etc...now THAT is control! If you want control...I highly suggest it. AND...you can take the kid home within 2 hours of the birth, if you want.

Professur said:
Surely you remember standing behind me when I had to threaten in order to get my kid outta the hospital nursery? The nurse who knew better? And wouldn't give me my own baby? I think that single event more than justifies my opinions of the profession.

Of Nursing...sure. Some nurses are whack...but then again, they're overworked and underfunded.