Its oh so quiet...

My kid's school tried telling us what we weren't allowed to pack in their lunches. Tried.

Yeah... we give guidelines.. but what you gonna do?

Walking past the dining hall you see a 5 year old kid with a kingsize mars bar... rip it out of their hands?

Hardly worth it... and I don't think its the remit of educators to police the feeding of children... but to educate the child about healthy eating!

Walking past the dining hall you see a 5 year old kid with a kingsize mars bar... rip it out of their hands?

That, send nasty insulting notes home, and then indoctrinate the kids with 'healthy' eating instruction while Dad's off at work to pay for it all. My kid's cousins got that, and refused to eat meat for months afterwards. I made it rather clear to the staff that if my kid received similar ... they wouldn't be able to eat meat either. I left it hanging, but with no question what I meant by it.

Gonz - Um...no. You need to add flavor, Man! Otherwise you have a tasteless blob of beef in the sauce.
BoP- It's...difficult to think of it as a recipe. I will work on it. It's a bit of practice and consistency recognition. I tried to teach my mom but her's kept falling apart. Basically it needs to be like meat paste rolled tight so that the finished ball has no cracks. I brown them and then finish them in the sauce for a couple hours (at a minimum) at low simmer.

Prof - That's a great idea for pork meatballs.

Leslie! Ingenious!

About Jamie - I like him enough. I admire what he is doing for the kids. We are facing the same problem here with school lunch. It's positively unhealthy. My kids usually bring lunch but there are tons of kids whose parents don't know, care, or can't afford to replace the crap with something healthy. Yet we spend tax dollars to feed them crap.

Ground beef
Breadcrumbs
Egg
Onion powder
Chicken soup powder

Roll using wet hands

Brown in skillet

add to sauce and cook slowly for a long time.

Ground beef
Breadcrumbs
Egg
Onion powder
Chicken soup powder

Roll using wet hands

Brown in skillet

add to sauce and cook slowly for a long time.

I use dried onions or the real McCoy diced fine, ketchup, eggs, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, oregano, parsley, and cracker meal.

I've never tried that one. I imagine you'd have to add a bit more seasoning as the potato would absorb it.

I've never tried that one. I imagine you'd have to add a bit more seasoning as the potato would absorb it.

ahh, it's only if your dead broke, and you need to stretch the meal t make it last a few days, one of my moms tricks from my youth.

I tend to keep the meatballs plain jane, cause the sauce is where it is at.

my personal favourite, with white rice.

If my mom was making a birthday meal it would be that stuff on meatballs or chicken wings.

Normally for meatballs, I just take a pound of ground beef, one egg, one slice of bread, a splash of mils and some seasoning, mix it up real well with my hands, then roll into balls.

When I was a kid, I hated meatloaf and liked meatballs. Then, it was pointed out to me that meatballs are meatloaf balls. From then on, I liked meatloaf.

ahh, it's only if your dead broke, and you need to stretch the meal t make it last a few days, one of my moms tricks from my youth.

I tend to keep the meatballs plain jane, cause the sauce is where it is at.

my personal favourite, with white rice.

If my mom was making a birthday meal it would be that stuff on meatballs or chicken wings.

We never had potatoes growing up. Not sure why. We ate a lot of rice and pasta.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Cornflakes sound like they'd add extra calories, and I'm still watching my weight (unless you cut out the bread?). I'll have to give it a try. How big do you generally make them? Apricot sized? Bigger?

Nobody else mixes pork and hamburger together in their meatballs? Re Prof's quick and easy way, I frequently make my spaghetti with hot italian sausage rather than meatballs. Very good that way, especially with a good, full bodied wine. Oh, and Paul, I have to disagree. While the sauce is certainly important, I like my meatballs well seasoned, with plenty of garlic. Sizewise, I like mine about the size of chestnuts and plenty of 'em. ;)

Thanks for the tips, guys. Cornflakes sound like they'd add extra calories, and I'm still watching my weight (unless you cut out the bread?). I'll have to give it a try. How big do you generally make them? Apricot sized? Bigger?

The bread/cornflakes are filler and add to the cohesion along with the eggs. Without those two, your meatballs will simply fall apart.

I make mine about an inch across. Garlic and onion are good plusses for taste, as are is fresh chives, oregano or thyme.

You can use hard cheeses, nuts and mushrooms to replace meat for a vegetarian 'meat'ball.

Nobody else mixes pork and hamburger together in their meatballs? Re Prof's quick and easy way, I frequently make my spaghetti with hot italian sausage rather than meatballs. Very good that way, especially with a good, full bodied wine. Oh, and Paul, I have to disagree. While the sauce is certainly important, I like my meatballs well seasoned, with plenty of garlic. Sizewise, I like mine about the size of chestnuts and plenty of 'em. ;)

If it was italian meatballs, I would agree, the ones I make though are "asian" and the marinate in the sauce for 12 hours after browning.

they are FULL of flavour

Italian meatballs is hamburger, minced bacon (or pancetta), breadcrumbs, fine diced onions, oregano, garlic, and some parmisian, put drectly in a tomoato sauce, not browned, and left covered in sauce for at least 30 minutes before stirring.

size wise.

Italian BIG meatballs,baseball size, 2 should fill a person up

The "asian" ones.... well, ping pong ball sized

Back