I've a question..

loon_B4ll00N

Got a 30 X 35 foot shop. My "mini" rack type stereo is puke for sound. I not really interested in radio, or CD's, (or tapes or other media). I just want to play MP3's - thru a laptop with WinAmp Pro (I have the license - bought and paid for)..My laptop does a good job of sending the signal audio to some sort of receiver..

My question is: What should I do to get a larger-than-average blasting of sound from this devilish setup? No worry about pissing off the neighbours - I have none. I figure the mini-bookshelf thing is good for no more than maybe 15 watts? I'm looking at purchasing a new Sherwood 100WX2 home (rack-style) receiver. I don't have speakers yet, but will probably go with some cheap home-style bass reflex boxes.

Used to be, a guy'd buy 1000 bucks werth of stuff just to get a decent stereo. Hell, when I was young, I bought the old Pioneer rack, complete with cabinet, glass-front door, tower speakers, etc for a mere 2500. That was when I lived in New York, and pissed off my neighbours.
Now, you can go to Wal·Mart and getta decent bookshelf for a hunnerd bux, and just about have a decent setup. Only problem is, things are rated at 400 watts (TOTAL POWER) WTF does that mean, when ya look at the back of the "receiver" and it says "25W" ? I think it's a screw!

I dunno I think 200 watts with some decent 8" bass-reflex boxes is gonna work. Even if I hafta build my own ported bandpass boxes - I feel that money will be better spent on that - whaddya think?

I actually honestly thought of using a PA amp with actual PA speakers (Like on M·A·S·H·), but I think the treble would drive me insane. I don't need bass like ya hear in every Nuga-Tinted Subaru SnoopDogg Mutha Fu, Winged Coffe-Can exhausted ride in every town every where...:rainfrow:

I need bass that'll "hit" on every beat in any ol' thrash metal song, tho.

When I were a pup - I didn't care as long as it was loud.

But, I'm old now, and just want to drown myself in lots of heavy metal *thrash*, while casting. So, I want hard bass AND loud.

Oh! Did I mention? Cheap as possible? So if I buy the 100W Sherwood, what speaker type-size- can I expect to use, and will it "boom" in my shop, or will I need an amp; or should I just go with a 1000W HomeTheatre Surround system for like 200 bux?

I'll check back sometime.. (I don't spend lots of time here anymore)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Can't help ya here. I despise mp3 clarity. I prefer LP but have contented myself with CD. I'll eventually put a ton of my stuff on some reels for convenience.

My own personal rule of thumb on stereos is never, NEVER scrimp on the speakers. They're what ya hear. Put the money in the speakers and save a buck on the bookshelf box. (I also think they all sound like crap, but...)

One more thing. If yer going mp3, and downloading any of that, given what you said you like, check out Shattered Sphere. The walking tax deduction loves 'em, and of all the similar stuff she has I liked them the best. I looked for a full CD online but didn't find one...they might be mp3/download only. She got it off teh lyme w1re. Gonz might can give ya a couple gooderns too, he's into that "sounds like somebody rapin a badger" stuff.

chcr

Too cute for words
Allow me to reinforce SnP here, never, ever scrimp on the speakers. Good speakers can make even a cheesy amp sound okay (not great but okay). you can fill up your shop with sound with a 25 watt power amp and good speakers. I like big speakers and I build my own. 10" woofers, 2X5.25 mids and a 2" peizo tweeter per side is what I'm using now (you'll want a bigger woofer and probably a single mid, I don't like the bass to overpower the rest myself). I don't like surround for music only, but that's just me. You can find info on various wiring schemes online. I learned from a book and trial and error (and error and error... ;) ). What can I say, I'm old.

Note on mp3s, if you're serious about your sound don't use any that were ripped at less than 192kbps.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Got a 30 X 35 foot shop. My "mini" rack type stereo is puke for sound. I not really interested in radio, or CD's, (or tapes or other media). I just want to play MP3's - thru a laptop with WinAmp Pro (I have the license - bought and paid for)..My laptop does a good job of sending the signal audio to some sort of receiver..

My question is: What should I do to get a larger-than-average blasting of sound from this devilish setup? No worry about pissing off the neighbours - I have none. I figure the mini-bookshelf thing is good for no more than maybe 15 watts? I'm looking at purchasing a new Sherwood 100WX2 home (rack-style) receiver. I don't have speakers yet, but will probably go with some cheap home-style bass reflex boxes.

Used to be, a guy'd buy 1000 bucks werth of stuff just to get a decent stereo. Hell, when I was young, I bought the old Pioneer rack, complete with cabinet, glass-front door, tower speakers, etc for a mere 2500. That was when I lived in New York, and pissed off my neighbours.
Now, you can go to Wal·Mart and getta decent bookshelf for a hunnerd bux, and just about have a decent setup. Only problem is, things are rated at 400 watts (TOTAL POWER) WTF does that mean, when ya look at the back of the "receiver" and it says "25W" ? I think it's a screw!

I dunno I think 200 watts with some decent 8" bass-reflex boxes is gonna work. Even if I hafta build my own ported bandpass boxes - I feel that money will be better spent on that - whaddya think?

I actually honestly thought of using a PA amp with actual PA speakers (Like on M·A·S·H·), but I think the treble would drive me insane. I don't need bass like ya hear in every Nuga-Tinted Subaru SnoopDogg Mutha Fu, Winged Coffe-Can exhausted ride in every town every where...:rainfrow:

I need bass that'll "hit" on every beat in any ol' thrash metal song, tho.

When I were a pup - I didn't care as long as it was loud.

But, I'm old now, and just want to drown myself in lots of heavy metal *thrash*, while casting. So, I want hard bass AND loud.

Oh! Did I mention? Cheap as possible? So if I buy the 100W Sherwood, what speaker type-size- can I expect to use, and will it "boom" in my shop, or will I need an amp; or should I just go with a 1000W HomeTheatre Surround system for like 200 bux?

I'll check back sometime.. (I don't spend lots of time here anymore)

Depends on what your amp puts out on a 'continuous' basis. A good set of bookshelf speakers should be all you need. May I suggest these?

Inkara1

Hit up craigslist or something and get a decent mid-powered receiver from the 1970s. Ratings were a bit more strictly regulated back then than they are now, and power outputs are rated at higher distortion levels.

Here's hbow I explained it to people when I was working at RadioShack: If you had a receiver from 1977 rated at 50 watts RMS into 8 ohms from 20-20,000 Hz at 0.3 percent total harmonic distortion, and compared it to a cheap home theater receiver rated at 110x5 at 6 ohms, 40-20,000 Hz at 1% total harmonic distortion... well, for one thing, if you rated what the older receiver was putting out at 1% instead of 0.3% distortion, it would be putting out more power than 50W. For another thing, the deepest bass frequencies, 20 Hz to 40 Hz, take more power to reproduce and tax the system. Take that out of the equation and it's easier to push more power without distorting things. Combine all that with the fact that older receivers were more conservatively rated, and they'll usually play louder longer. IT's true that they don't make 'em like they used to.

More food for thought... you're playing loud all day in an environment hostile to stereos. You want something built for reliability.

In my bedroom, I have a Concept 3.5 receiver from 1977. It's rated for 35 watts per channel. It weighs 27 pounds. I've lifted the 105-watt Sherwood receiver (when I worked at RadioShack, we sold those for a while). It feels like well less than 20 pounds. The thing is a featherweight even though it's supposed to have triple the power. Why? Power transformers and output capacitors get heavy when they get big. Newer receivers use smaller (and cheaper) transformers and output caps. They weigh less... but also have less capacity. You might notice newer receivers throw off a lot of heat. I also have a Pioneer SX-3700. It's a newer receiver, from 1980 or so... as the industry was transitioning to the heavily-built tanks of the 1970s to the plastic, cheaply-built units of today. It's still old enough to have wood sides and an aluminum face, but it's rated for 10 watts per channel more (45 watts) and yet weighs two pounds less. The thing throws off significantly more heat than the Concept 3.5. It's also a lot more heat than my 85-watt Optonica SA-5605 from 1978. I'm attaching three photos... the first one is the insides of the Concept 3.5, and the other two are a couple of newer receivers I was able to find online. You can see the difference.

I'd suggest getting something good quality and used off craigslist or somewhere like that. I think it will play louder, sound better and provide better bass, and stand up to the environment better.

loon_B4ll00N

Yeah, MAN! THAT'S why I asked here! I knew I'd get some good replies from all you OLD timers..

...The weight thing... I've seen after taking apart speakers; weights added internally to improve the "feel" of the speakers... from the factory...

and I agree that ya don't get whatcha pay for.
and as for sound quality? Dudes, I was considering PA speakers.. I DO want good bass, but don't need it to sound like studio quality. I've got a 5FDP song that was supposedly bootlegged from a bar, thats 96 bit (or 95, or 92, or whatever the number is) that completely kicks ass! When I'm home, I can listen to quality, but out in the shop where my furnace is running, or the mulling machine, or various grinders, sanders, etc.. I need loud and want bass...

Thx fer yer inputs! I will check out Meebay this weekend...:banana:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Who you callin old there, Gilbert? Why back in MY day some young whelp like you come around callin folks old, we'd tan his hide for him. While we walked to school. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways. Into the wind. Carryin warsh water t'boot. An' we was PROUD t'do it too!

[/geezer]

chcr

Too cute for words
Yeah, MAN! THAT'S why I asked here! I knew I'd get some good replies from all you OLD timers..

...The weight thing... I've seen after taking apart speakers; weights added internally to improve the "feel" of the speakers... from the factory...

and I agree that ya don't get whatcha pay for.
and as for sound quality? Dudes, I was considering PA speakers.. I DO want good bass, but don't need it to sound like studio quality. I've got a 5FDP song that was supposedly bootlegged from a bar, thats 96 bit (or 95, or 92, or whatever the number is) that completely kicks ass! When I'm home, I can listen to quality, but out in the shop where my furnace is running, or the mulling machine, or various grinders, sanders, etc.. I need loud and want bass...

Thx fer yer inputs! I will check out Meebay this weekend...:banana:
Important!!! Important!!! Important!!! Important!!!

PA speakers are not what you want. First, your room is too small. At the volumes you'll run them at to fill up your shop with sound (very low as far as PA speakers are concerned) the frequency response will be horrible. Second, They require a lot of real, clean power to drive them. Almost any home unit amp will be insufficient. I'm a musician and, being just marginally younger than dirt, I have a lot of experience with various PAs and speakers. They simply are not suited for home use. Studio monitors, OTOH... Note not to get "near field" ones though. You want a nice older power amp as Inky suggests and good quality speakers with a big woofer and midrange. There are some very good bookshelf units out there but for the size of your room and what goes on in it I think size matters. ;) Oh, and mount them up high and angled downward. Placement is an oft overlooked but important consideration.

Altron

Since you seem to be inclined towards DIY, and probably woodworking as well, here are some speaker designs online:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/projectindex.cfm

This set looked to be kinda what you're going for, under $100
All in all, they are very listenable speakers, and with an old high-powered receiver will fill large garages or workshops with plenty of good music.
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=GoldenBoys

The stuff on parts express is pretty good... they sell all of the drivers and crossovers you need, the only thing you have to do is buy the wood and make the cabinets. The design is all completed, it's just making the cabinet and wiring it up like it shows you.

loon_B4ll00N

Yup. I like that. I looked at the design, seems that woofer isn't available anymore, but I could find a replacement ez enuff

..then my search sorta degraded into a drool-fest looking at the BassTech 7

(not really for the shop, but for the 640 acre chunk of land next to it..)
T'Get the ol' butt Shakin..