Jerry Brown orders 48,000 government cell phones confiscated

spike

Brown orders 48,000 cell phones confiscated

First to suffer from this year's budget crisis?
Cell phones.

New Gov. Jerry Brown today ordered the collection and return of 48,000 state government-paid cell phones - half of those now in use - by June 1.

The Democratic governor estimated that cutting the use of cellphones by state employees in half will save the state $20 million a year.

"It is difficult for me to believe that 40 percent of all state employees must be equipped with taxpayer-funded cell phones," Brown said in a written statement.

The state currently pays for 96,000 cell phones, the governor added.

"Some state employees, including department and agency executives who are required to be in touch 24 hours a day and seven days a week, may need cell phones, but the current number of phones out there is astounding."

Brown's cell phone directive, his first executive order since taking office last week, directed state agency and department heads to retrieve the cell phones.

"In the face of a multi-billion dollar budget deficit, a cell phone may not seem like a big expense," Brown said. "But spending $20 million, and perhaps far more than that, on cell phones can't be justified.

"We're facing a budget crisis in California and I want to achieve all possible, reasonable savings. We have one of the best state workforces in America, and I am confident that all state employees will understand the need for this move and will cooperate."

After cutting the number of state-issued phones in half by June 1, the governor said he plans to continue reducing cell phone usage in months ahead.

"Because of contract obligations, it is possible that we may not be able eliminate all 48,000 cell phones by June 1, but it is also conceivable that we can do it earlier - and that is my hope," Brown said.

"Even with a 50 percent reduction, one-fifth of all state employees will still have cell phones," he said. "That still seems like too much and I want every department and agency to examine and justify all cell phone usage."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/01/brown-orders-48000-state-cell.html#ixzz1ArSCdS00

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/01/brown-orders-48000-state-cell.html

jimpeel

Saw that. Loved that. he has other cuts he wants to do also. He says that he won't raise taxes because they are in deep enough already. He does want to leave a tax increase that is already in place which is about to expire.

He wants to cut as much as he can and not incur any more debt. He acknowledges that borrowing is what got them into the mess in the first place and there is no sense in digging the hole deeper.

Damn! That little bald headed liberal is sounding like a conservative!

Professur

Facing a budget crisis .... what does he call the last 12 years? Son, yer neck deep in budget crisis. You're not facing it, you're drowning in it. While this is a good start with the right idea .... it's less than a drop in the bucket. Try starting with justifying the hand that was holding that cellphone.

Winky

California the world’s largest outdoor mental asylum

My recommendation, assassinate Governor Moonbeam and be done with it.

ResearchMonkey

Reagan broke unions while Brown turned 'em loose. I can't wait for the unions to named in the States Bankruptcy.

No matter, Brown owns it for the next FOUR years. Then we rebuild.
flagofcaliforna.png

spike

Your only concern seems to be laborers organizing.

"The American Conservative noted he was "much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan""

Brown owns it for the next FOUR years.

Fuck yeah! :headbng2:

Sent Whitman packing.

ResearchMonkey

I don't give a fuck what they say shit-for-brains. $500+ Billion in unfunded pension liabilities is more than $25 billion we're short now. I'm going to laugh when you get raped and eaten by the hungry masses of unpaid state dependents.

Inner city kids, another place we could use a big fence. Cut-them-off-the-teet.

spike

Hahahah...you're not even remotely good at trolling. :laugh:

You always just come off like a frustrated child throwing a tantrum.