Junk food news

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Something a little different :choclate:

And for Na and Ku'u,
Six Billionth Can of SPAM Luncheon Meat Produced
In 1937, the first cans of SPAM luncheon meat began to appear on the shelves of grocery stores in America. Sixty-five years later, the six billionth can of this convenient, great-tasting canned meat was produced

This 12-ounce can of SPAM was prepared at the Austin, Minnesota plant of Hormel Foods, a multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer-branded food and meat products.

The popularity of SPAM luncheon meat has grown rapidly over the years because of its versatility, high quality and taste. The one billionth can was produced in 1959 and the second billionth can was made in 1970, followed by the third, fourth and fifth billionth cans in 1980, 1986 and 1994, respectively.

SPAM is produced in the U.S. at Hormel Foods in plants that can produce a combined total of more than 44,000 cans per hour. SPAM is also produced in three foreign countries, including Denmark, Korea and the Philippines.

A can of SPAM is consumed in the U.S. every 3.1 seconds. On a per capita basis, residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Arkansas, Texas and Alabama are the most frequent consumers of SPAM in the U.S. Hawaii leads the way with 6.7 million cans sold annually, which amounts to 5.5 cans per year per Hawaiian. Today, SPAM is sold in 41 countries and is trademarked in more than 100 nations on six continents.

An entire 16,500-square-foot museum, which opened in September 2001 in Austin, is dedicated to SPAM, and a gift shop at the museum sells a wide selection of SPAM brand items. Much more information about this popular food icon can be found on the Internet at www.spam.com , including a schedule of appearances across the U.S. by the company's three SPAMMOBILE.

kuulani

Leslie said:
Hawaii leads the way with 6.7 million cans sold annually, which amounts to 5.5 cans per year per Hawaiian.

:licklips: :headbang:

*note. I would like to say this figure is slightly off because not all people living in Hawaii are Hawaiians.

kuulani

I would also like to add that I can eat WAAAAAY more that 5.5 cans a year. Our "household" (which has 18 people in 5 houses on a 10-acre lot) can go through 5.5 cans in a sitting :eek:

unclehobart

kuulani said:
Leslie said:
Hawaii leads the way with 6.7 million cans sold annually, which amounts to 5.5 cans per year per Hawaiian.

:licklips: :headbang:

*note. I would like to say this figure is slightly off because not all people living in Hawaii are Hawaiians.
Do you consider yourself to be Hawaiian?

unclehobart

The way I mean it is: There arent very many people left with 100% indigenous blood. Just a few 10s of thousands really. Your blood is mostly Pac Asiatic. You were born there.. speaka da lingo... but arent Hawaiian in the genetics. Being born there you don't qualify as a haole ... Just where does a born but not native lie in it all?

kuulani

I consider myself Hawaiian. Just as I also consider myself Japanese and Chinese. It's in the DNA. My actions, my thoughts, my words, they are all inherently due to being Hawaiian, being raised by Hawaiians, and being descended from Hawaiians.