Junk food news

nalani

unclehobart said:
The way I mean it is: There arent very many people left with 100% indigenous blood. Just a few 10s of thousands really. Your blood is mostly Pac Asiatic. You were born there.. speaka da lingo... but arent Hawaiian in the genetics. Being born there you don't qualify as a haole ... Just where does a born but not native lie in it all?

This response surprises me a great deal, coming from you Rob.

You're right - there aren't a great many people with 100% indigenous blood left, my mother and her siblings among them. Myself, I wasn't born here in Hawai'i. I was born in California. Do I consider myself Hawaiian? Umm... yeah *duh* .. I have half Hawaiian blood and live a Hawaiian lifestyle. I know my ethnicities because a part of living a Hawaiian lifestyle is knowing where you come from and from whom you descend.

So, does my not being born here make me less Hawaiian? No. And why not? Because I am descended from Hawaiians, have Hawaiian DNA flowing through my veins, and live a Hawaiian lifestyle.

So far I've written about 5 paragraphs and have deleted them all. Guess I should take that as a sign to end this post here.

kuulani

Amen to nalani
worship.gif

Knowing who we are and who we come from defines us as people. At least we don't go around borrowing identities from other cultures.

nalani

neither do we go around telling other people what "blood" is mostly running through their veins :rolleyes:

greenfreak

kuulani said:
Amen to nalani
worship.gif

Knowing who we are and who we come from defines us as people. At least we don't go around borrowing identities from other cultures.

I love that 'worship' smiley... Makes me think of Waynes World, "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

*ahem* Ok back on topic... Actually on the topic spun off from the topic... :D Ku'u, what do you consider borrowing identities from other cultures? I'm just curious about this. I think it goes without saying that most of us are not as adamant about learning and continuing our cultures as you are, and you know how I've always been interested in that... Just trying to figure it all out. :)

nalani

*appreciates greenie's sensitivity*

:)

I had an answer all ready but I thought ku'u could better articulate the response ... plus, it was directed to her anyway :D

kuulani

Actually, the reason I made that comment was because I saw some white people walking around town this past weekend with dreadlocks, wearing what I assume to be African garb. Can't people live their own culture? Now, that may just be me being racist or whatever, but ... :shrug:

nalani

you know what really irritates me? When the non-grounded (for lack of better word) tree-huggers who are practicing a mixture of different Asian religions (Buddhism, Taoism, and the like) go to our Sacred Hawaiian Places to practice ... total disregard for the gods of the area.

:grumpy:

to me, that is complete "borrowing" of cultural identies ...

greenfreak

I see alot of that here in NY, white kids with dreds and stuff. If they're young, I look at it a few different ways.... trying to look like their friends (which, let's face it, happens too much), trying to *not* look like everyone else-i.e. being different to get attention, or finally, someone actually taking an interest in different styles and embracing it. Perhaps I don't notice it as much because we get so used to the unusual here, or that I'm just more passive when it comes to that.

What *does* upset me, however, is when people who are not african-american use the "N" word (you know the one--it's used to be derrogatory but has turned into a different term altogether).

Like, "Wassup my n____"... (sorry but I can't bring myself to type it, much less say it). I don't think we've come far enough that something like that coming out of a white kid's mouth isn't going to upset someone. Case in point--it upsets me. I just wish we could lock all those slurs away, nothing bothers me more than hearing someone being called a racial slur. (how the hell did this thread turn from Spam to racism? :rolleyes: ;) )

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I was saying, that I am mixed, like Ku'u. Both parents are mostly African-American, but I also have some Native American, Spanish, and, believe it or not, Caucasian. I grew up in, basically, a caucasian society, went to mostly caucasian schools, etc. I hope that what I typed earlier didn't offend you, because no offense was intended.

unclehobart

nalani said:
unclehobart said:
The way I mean it is: There arent very many people left with 100% indigenous blood. Just a few 10s of thousands really. Your blood is mostly Pac Asiatic. You were born there.. speaka da lingo... but arent Hawaiian in the genetics. Being born there you don't qualify as a haole ... Just where does a born but not native lie in it all?

This response surprises me a great deal, coming from you Rob.

You're right - there aren't a great many people with 100% indigenous blood left, my mother and her siblings among them. Myself, I wasn't born here in Hawai'i. I was born in California. Do I consider myself Hawaiian? Umm... yeah *duh* .. I have half Hawaiian blood and live a Hawaiian lifestyle. I know my ethnicities because a part of living a Hawaiian lifestyle is knowing where you come from and from whom you descend.

So, does my not being born here make me less Hawaiian? No. And why not? Because I am descended from Hawaiians, have Hawaiian DNA flowing through my veins, and live a Hawaiian lifestyle.

So far I've written about 5 paragraphs and have deleted them all. Guess I should take that as a sign to end this post here.
I was just trying to undestand the objective/subjective baseline is all.

nalani

unclehobart said:
I was just trying to undestand the objective/subjective baseline is all.

well, let me try to make it a little easier to understand.

Ku'u doesn't qualify as a haole not because she was born here .. she doesn't qualify because she's not a haole. I qualify as a haole not because I was born in the mainland but because I am half haole.

kuulani

***note, for those who might be confused -

haole. White person, American, Englishman, Caucasion; American, English; formerly, any foreignor; foreign, introduced, of foreign origin, as plants, pigs, chickens; entirely white, of pigs.

unclehobart

I apologize if my words came off sounding like a challenge to your ancestry. It wasn't my intent. I was intending to go off in a more inquisitive Q&A area... not a shoving match.