Just bought a new tv

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Ac3 is a true 6.1 sound aspect. if its supposed to be in the middle it is same for the front to back sound. All sound is independantly controlled. you will have just one volume bit its code is broke out as such.

samcurry

Staff member
AC-3 is a high-quality, low-complexity multichannel audio coder. By coding a multiplicity of channels as a single entity, it is able to operate at lower data rates for a given level of audio quality than an ensemble of equivalent single channel coders. Although AC-3 algorithms are independent of the number of channels coded, current implementations have standardized on the SMPTE-recommended 5.1 channel arrangement: five full bandwidth channels representing Left, Center, Right, Left-Surround, and Right-Surround; plus a limited bandwidth low-frequency Subwoofer channel. AC-3 conveys this channel arrangement with a high degree of transparency at data rates as low as 320 Kbps. The following sections describe the AC-3 coding algorithm, identify its primary processing elements, and discuss the underlying psychoacoustic mechanisms involved.

http://www.dolby.com/tech/ac-3mult.html

unclehobart

It is 6.1 ... but im not seeing Ac3. From what I can make of it, it is DTS-ES 6.1

The dvd is a 5 disc cinema precision progressive.

whoreable

dolby digital and dts is esentially the same thing as ac-3 from what i understand.

I only have 6.1 simulated here(no rear center). I wonder how much that rear center really adds.

samcurry

Staff member
whoreable it adds some but unless your REALLY into trying to get it, youd never notice if it wasnt there.

unc if its AC3 trust me they will have it plastered all over it. I really think your next add on should be some martin logan electrostatic towers for the front witha matching center channel. :) its big bucks but if you plan to spend a huge amount of time in front of it entertaining well worth it.

chcr

Too cute for words
I only have 6.1 simulated here(no rear center). I wonder how much that rear center really adds.
I have the same thing, whoreable. I Have a friend who has true 6.1, and I didn't think it was enough better to upgrade. It was noticeable though. We watched "Saving Private Ryan" btw. (I don't think they have "Saving Ryan's Privates" in DTS yet, do they?) If you want to upgrade though, you will be able to tell the difference.

whoreable

I think I will wait at least a few years. or a few decades depending on how soon i can find a fucking job.

the funny thing is that these days I dont even care about watching these super action movies that much anymore. I cant even remeber the last time I used my system to watch a dvd that even has dts or dolby digital 5.1 :(

Mirlyn

Unc, does it have digital out (optical or coaxial)? As I understand it, everything that has digital out does DTS/5.1/AC3, you just need a receiver that has the ability to do digital-in/ac-3 processing/decoding. If the receiver is built into the TV, it probably already does it by default.

Mirlyn

Just as a side note, my nForce2 board (Asus A7V8X Deluxe) has digital out and my reciever is in AC3 decoding mode all the time (Windows, games, DVDs, doesn't matter).

whoreable

believe me I know the feeling my reciever actually has more on the back than that.

and the tv I want has more on the back than my reciever!

Kawaii

WOW. That is one bigass TV. You should watch Hero or Braveheart on it, that music on a 800 watt 6-speaker surround sound should be enough to give George Lucas an orgasm.