Kudzu assault!

tonksy

Well, it's that time of year again! Time to wage war with the demon of all flora - Kudzu!
And what a season it has been for it, too! Poor Rob has fought well! Here a few photos of the encroaching menace:

These first three photos could be laid end to end to show you how the kudzu eats the ravine by the side of our house. Notice how it is attacking the tree in the 3rd shot.
kudzu1.jpg

kudzu2.jpg

kudzu3.jpg

This is the pile that Rob extracated from our little dogwood tree.
kudzu4.jpg

This is a root runner! Check the size of it compared to my size 9 piggies!
kudzu5.jpg

But on a lighter note, it has also been a good year for the roses! Check out this floribunda we planted in the spring!
crazyrose.jpg

unclehobart

DAMN YOU TO HELL, KUDZU!

I'm sweating buckets out there. It's probably going to take another 6-8 hours to just to put it back in its pen.

unclehobart

That root runner probably goes for about 12 feet underground. I dug down as far as I could and sawed it off. I almost had a feeling of vindictive lust as I poured a big cap of undiluted Roundup right on the remainder.

woodman19_99

Wikipeida:

"Studies have shown ([1], [2]) that kudzu can reduce both hangovers and alcohol cravings. The mechanism for this is not yet established, but it may have to do with both alcohol metabolism and the reward circuits in the brain."

Maybe there is some use to it too?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
the complete Medicinal from wikipedia said:
Studies have shown ([1], [2]) that kudzu can reduce both hangovers and alcohol cravings. The mechanism for this is not yet established, but it may have to do with both alcohol metabolism and the reward circuits in the brain. Kudzu also contains a number of useful isoflavones, including daidzein (an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent), daidzin (a cancer preventive) and genistein (an antileukemic agent). Kudzu is a unique source of the isoflavone, puerarin. Kudzu root compounds can affect neurotransmitters (including serotonin, GABA, and glutamate) and it has shown value in treating migraine and cluster headache [3]. In traditional Chinese medicine, kudzu was used for tinnitus, vertigo, and Wei syndrome (superficial heat close to the surface).

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
And curiously, I completely overlooked that section until I read your post.

Inkara1

Bad idea! Compost is used as fertilizer in the ground... and the last thing you want to do is put even one atom of kudzu back in the ground.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
read a rotten.com article on it, the fact the US gov't brought it to the US as a "wonder plant" to halt erosion, and how it destroys everything, showed one valley 4 photos over a year, ate the entire valley and pulled down house.

Kudzu by rotten.com

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A.B.Normal said:
Not to mention a compost wouldn't heat up enough to kill it,you never put weeds into a compost pile*handonhip

They all go there....it gets hot enough if kept moist & aerated.