laptop network issues

Winky

are all the services.msc that pertain to VPN set similarly on both comps?

Could it be that one that is automatic on your comp is set to manual on hers?

and is sometimes failing to start?

Mirlyn

Winky said:
Did ya swap her cable on the router???

To another port?

can she surf while this VPN outage is in effect?

can she see the inside private network during this outage?

Could the VPN app (or is it totally Mickey soft driven) be
the sole culprit?
-She's wireless. I've been meaning to test for this problem on cat5. However, as stated above, my laptop is also wireless and it has no problems whatsoever.
-She can surf while it happens. She also has access to local network resources (other shares, etc).
-She cannot browse the remote network. Only the local. Like I said, it acts like the VPN totally goes away.
-The VPN app (Linksys RV042) could be the culprit, but in all our customers VPNs, I've never seen a particular client not be able to access the tunnel when others can. The way to test this, I suppose, would be to test her on cat5 and/or another tunnel (my other two tunnels aren't being used). Then again its not a reproducable problem, making replacement troubleshooting difficult.
Winky said:
Don't tell me Winders Firewall is active on her comp?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320855
As stated above, all firewalls are disabled.
Winky said:
are all the services.msc that pertain to VPN set similarly on both comps?

Could it be that one that is automatic on your comp is set to manual on hers?

and is sometimes failing to start?
Haven't checked the services, but it'll randomly work. A restart has no effect. It just stops working without warning.

Camelyn

Update:

So Mirlyn didn't want to post this. Something about it being embarrassing to his geekhood :)

This is what happened. We have been having some trouble with our internet connection recently, keeps dropping out. At one point, we connected to an unsecured wireless network in the neighbourhood from my laptop, just to test some stuff out. We thought we had removed it from the preferred networks list after testing, but apparently, we hadn't. So what would happen is that our network would drop out, and my laptop would automatically connect to the unsecured network instead, thus providing internet access, but no VPN, until I restarted AND our own wireless network was up and running.....

Sometimes the most complicated questions have the simplest answers :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Mirlyn said:
She can browse the local network and surf the internet, but not ping or otherwise access resources over VPN tunnels. My laptop can and my desktop can.

And how exactly is your neighboor AP allowed to browse your local network? :confuse3:

Camelyn

Luis G said:
And how exactly is your neighboor AP allowed to browse your local network? :confuse3:

I'm guessing that I was able to access it when I was connected to our network. Both networks would drop on and off (the unsecured had low signal and would drop off), and I was randomly connecting to either one. Never thought to check "what" I was connected to... I would see "Wireless network is now connected" notifications, but I assumed that was just our connection going on and off as it had been.

Mirlyn

Professur said:
Naw, he's the one that works in the field.
Yeah, it was definately one of those "duh" moments. :smack:

Fixed it from happening again....changed our channel to 14. :D

highwayman

Camelyn said:
Update:

This is what happened. We have been having some trouble with our internet connection recently, keeps dropping out. At one point, we connected to an unsecured wireless network in the neighbourhood from my laptop, just to test some stuff out. We thought we had removed it from the preferred networks list after testing, but apparently, we hadn't. So what would happen is that our network would drop out, and my laptop would automatically connect to the unsecured network instead, thus providing internet access, but no VPN, until I restarted AND our own wireless network was up and running.....

Glad you have it solved. I had a similar problem but it was on the desktop and a wireless router. The router was a seperate unit from the cable modem. Well the connection would fade and disappear to the desktop at odd intervals and realy irratating since it never happened on the laptop (wireless).

It ended up was I had both units on top of the tower and the wireless router was interfering with the modem.