Laptops

spike

I need to get a laptop soon. I was trying to justify an Alienware but I just got carried awy a little and configured one here at $2700. It starts at around $1500 so I'm sure I could back off a few things.

I'm also looking at a Dell flyer at their XPS laptops.

I want something with good gaming performance.

spike

xpsm1710_front_149x149.jpg

With an Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processor, a 17-inch widescreen display and up to 512MB of dedicated NVIDIA® graphics, the XPS M1710 has ushered in a new era of mobile gaming.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/xpsnb?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Still pretty high at $2300.

creative_open_big.jpg

The Aurora m9700 is the first and only 17” dual-graphics card system, giving you up to a 100% increase in graphics performance over single graphics card systems. Want even more? How does 1GB of graphics memory sound?

http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_m9700/aurora-m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT#pdp-nav

Starting at $1699.

img_seriesimage_arseries.jpg

Start at $1729

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_CTO-Start?ProductSKU=B1NBSU06-A&catname=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_AR_Series

Inkara1

I've never liked Dell's laptops, even before their batteries started causing fires. My ex-GF has a laptop and het computer is exactly the reason I bought a Gateway. I don't use it enough to know if it's truly a good laptop or not but I've been happy with it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Sony is/was the battery manufacturer for all the firebombs. Bad batteries & bad laptops. Hmmm, do they want to see the desktop make a comeback?

spike

So Sony sucks. Dell sucks (I have had more than one totally unreasonable experience with Dell support).

I know 3 people with HP laptops that have had serious problems within the first few month they've owned them.

I know there's a few other brands but Alienware is looking better and better at the moment. I do have to look at the fact that at $1699 I could by two laptops though.

There's $999 model here
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51_m5550/area-51m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M5550-R3&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

I'm not sure how much I'm going to regret going with a 15.5" widescreen instead of a 17" widescreen and half the video card memory.

Gotta love the look of their $4500 model.
creative_angle_big.jpg

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I've had an HP for almost 3 years now, it is using its 3rd HDD too.

woodman19_99

Well, as for alienware, I have one bad report to show you, although it is not from personal experience:
Starts Here
Ends Here

Personally, I have always been interested in an Alienware laptop, as they seem to off the most options for a laptop and seem to be very customizable, all be it at a rather steep price.

I have a mobile Dell, which I have yet to have a problem with, but have never touched their Desktop Replacement stuff. I had a Toshiba which was okay with the exception of Windows ME as the OS (what a nightmare!). My brother had a behemoth of a Gateway notebook way back when, but he had customer service issues with them, which we no longer discuss...

PostCode

Major contributor!
Stay away from Dell, Alienware (now owned by Dell), Sony, and HP. Toshiba makes the best. Whatever you get, make damn sure you get a three years warranty and, if possible, an accidental insurance warranty (covers spills, drops, etc...) as well. Laptops are by far much harder to fix than a desktop and other than the hard drive, memory, and a few other components, will cost a bundle when trying to buy individual parts for them.

Inkara1

I was just about to ask, hadn't Dell bought Alienware... but I guess that got answered for me.

Professur

Stay away from Dell, Alienware (now owned by Dell), Sony, and HP. Toshiba makes the best. Whatever you get, make damn sure you get a three years warranty and, if possible, an accidental insurance warranty (covers spills, drops, etc...) as well. Laptops are by far much harder to fix than a desktop and other than the hard drive, memory, and a few other components, will cost a bundle when trying to buy individual parts for them.

Try ... it's pointless to try and repair outside of warranty. There's not a part going for a 3 year old lappy that's less expensive than the entire machine costs used. I'm getting Thinkpad PIII, 1.13G for $400C, and the LCDs are $1100 from the parts depot.