Largest earthquake in 40 years.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Let's tell the gov'ts to stop contributing & make it 100% volunteer donations. They'd be rebuilt in a week.

tank girl

Gonz said:
Try studying facts, not spouting lies.

:eyebrow: I'd advise the same to you, coming from someone who takes a biased opinion channel like FOX seriously? from someone who probably devours every lie of a right-wing, celebrity puppet like Anne Coulter as gospel? puhlease. :rolleyes: I seriously offer the same advice to you. but you're past help, I imagine...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tank girl said:
:eyebrow: I'd advise the same to you, coming from someone who takes a biased opinion channel like FOX seriously? from someone who probably devours every lie of a right-wing, celebrity puppet like Anne Coulter as gospel? puhlease. :rolleyes: I seriously offer the same advice to you. but you're past help, I imagine...

*ahem*
i don't really care about the facts...

ResearchMonkey

ErrorCodeEman said:
So where's NZ on the list of contributors?

Prolly somewhere under....
  • Pfizer's $35,000,000 Donation. ($10,000,000 in cash, $25,000,000 in drugs)
  • Coca-Cola $10,000,000 Donation.

and prolly just about even or above...

• Exxon Mobiles $5,000,000 Donation.
  • Citigroup $3,000,000n.
  • Bristol-Myers Squibb$5,000,000 ($1,000,000 in cash and $4,000,000 in antibiotics and antifungal drugs.)
  • Amazon.com $5,400,000 collected from online donations.
  • Bill Gates $3,000,000
  • Merck $3,000,000
  • Cisco Systems $2,500,000
  • Johnson & Johnson $2,000,000
  • Abbott Laboratories $2,000,000
  • Wal-Mart Inc. $2,000,000 and has set-up collection containers at all of its stores.
  • Nike $1,000,000
  • American Express $1,000,000
  • General Electric $1,000,000.
  • First Data Corp $1,000,000
  • PepsiCo $1,000,000 ...which rushed out Aquafina bottled water from one of its Indian bottlers, free of charge of couse.

Oh yes, that how you get shit done. ~$54,000,000 private sector opening bid.

...who wants to bet the UN will lose track of more then that in their UN-relief-effort™.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Kawaii said:
The death toll is now at 116,000+, with 80,000 dead in Indonesia alone.

Source

I don't give a shit about the politics behind this. We need to help those in need. That's all i care about.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
This is VERY graphic. I couldn't get my head around the scope of what's happened till I saw this, now I have a small idea of the scope, and cant' get it out of my head.

Please don't look at it if you're not ready for it. It's really bad.

beach aftermath

I would like us to not bitch about money or gov'ts or people in this thread. Could we leave it for the other one?

ResearchMonkey

That pic really gives some perspective don't it.

I don't know that the issue is so much of what we send, it's more a matter that we a good people and we are tired of being made to be always wrong no matter the issue.

In this case, it was a matter of US being tight-wads, which is far from the truth. We have been simply been making the case that we are a giving nation.

Kawaii

Leslie said:
This is VERY graphic. I couldn't get my head around the scope of what's happened till I saw this, now I have a small idea of the scope, and cant' get it out of my head.

Please don't look at it if you're not ready for it. It's really bad.

beach aftermath

I would like us to not bitch about money or gov'ts or people in this thread. Could we leave it for the other one?
Wow. That's... Quite a picture. Really shows how bad it is over there.

As a side note, I've donated as much as my budget allows to the Red Cross. Everyone who is economically able to should contribute at least a few $/£/€/SEK/whatever.

BeardofPants

Kawaii said:
Everyone who is economically able to should contribute at least a few $/£/€/SEK/whatever.

Yep. I've donated a good part of my wage to the red cross this week - they have an online site, but they're also taking funds through the supermarket where I work part-time.

tank girl

Gonz said:
These people are stronger than you could ever be. They will be sad & then they will move on with their life. People that have time to be traumatized for life over natures wrath need to find more constructive thinhgs to do that study pop psych.

Now that just makes me sick, that is really an appalling comment. You think that somehow I can't have any compassion? That I'm not able to at least attempt to comprehend a tiny glimpse into what and how the devestation is going to do to millions of people, affecting them for generations? I am the first to admit I am far from ever being able to grip the situation, but at least I am doing my absolute, passionate hardest to put my heart into thinking about the people worst affected by this, and that is, millions of people. I am the first to admit it is impossible, unless you can actually be there, to ever really know what it must be like. And look at you, making your assumptions and accusations from your high and mighty chair, you are no better than me.

There are thousands of orphans with no ability to comprehend the devestation. People who have watched their entire village swept away, mothers who've had to abandon their babies, fathers who have watched their children drown etc etc....death, shock, tragedy and trauma is the same anywhere you go in the world...it happens to everyone.

“I am a Jew/ Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs/ dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with/ the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject/ to the same diseases, heal’d by the same means/ warm’d and cool’d by the same winter and summer/ as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?/ If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you/ poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?” -Shylock, II.i.58.

take that quote, my friend: wouldn't apply to anyone (not just, as in its original context the plight of the Jew) that you cast off as somehow a different human, in any way from yourself?

This is a human tragedy...this is reality...an UNPRECEDENTED Human catastrophe.... how dare you sweep them off as somehow different to anybody and then try and justify it with a sweeping generalisation about the myth of the "adaptabe savage"....?

There are thousands of corpses everywhere, the stench ubearable, the feeling of death, the memories and gruesome images that are too horrific to show on comfortable conservative news-bulletins will haunt the people and the areas for entire lifetimes.

People have been up hills and mountains sitting around in absolute shock, vowing never to go back down again. Others just unable to speak. That is the reality. These people will most definately be, as you put it "sad" for a very, very long time.

How can you make such a racist and narrowminded assumption? we all feel and breathe and bleed just the same as the next - do you honestly believe anybody could not be traumatised after being in such a situation? now that is just an indication of how warped you really are.

:confused: last time I checked we were all human????

Retry. The states with the lowest per capita & whole dollar donations are the blue states. :swing:

ahem, You forgot all the libbie billion-dollar movie stars :swing: