Lasagne

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I've got a monster unending craving. So I gotta make it.

I've never attempted a real lasagne, I usually do a really fast spinach/cottage cheese version that does the trick.

What's your recipe? What makes GOOD lasagne? Just the excess of cheese?
My dad puts hard boiled egg slices into it. Sounds weird, but it's yummy.

tonksy

I never used a real recipe either but I like to use fresh basil as well as spinach. How do you feel about eggplant? or mushrooms? I like to put green olives too.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I usually just do a noodle/cheese/tomato sauce and meat mixture layering...I enjoy textured vagtable protein in many things but I find in lasagna it doesn't hold it together well (my feelings are the same about TVP in sheppards pie). Anyway...I'd use ground chicken...brown that up and make the tomato sauce however you enjoy it like for spagehtti and stuff...I usually use garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and sometimes crushed chillies but I don't like cooked veggies which is why I said you should make it with whatever you enjoy in spaghetti. Then layer that baby up. I start with a wee bit of sauce on the bottom layer then noodles and then shreaded cheese (mozzarella if I don't have a vareity...sometimes those yummy pre shreaded mixes if I have the cash) and continue the pattern ending with cheese. I also don't really like the "no cook" noodles (suppose to cook IN the lasagna...says you don't need to boil them first) I find they are still kinda hard when it's all done.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't like the no-cook noodles either. They're gummy or somethin'.

The boys and I do like different veggies in lasagne, but only when I'm expecting them lol. Peppers, mushrooms, all good. Olives would be odd, but not out of reach I guess, we always get em on pizza.

I forgot about Prof's recipe. I betcha the boys would love that.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Prof, all I can find at two boards searching Professur and lasagne and Professur and mexican is you posting saying you've posted it before.

BeardofPants

*sigh* I've never had a lasagna that I've liked. Granted, I prolly gave up too soon, but I've just never quite enjoyed that particular layer combo (has to be veggie, but when I used to eat meat, I was never a big fan of mince meat either). I prefer my eggplant bake recipe which is layers of italian (tomato) risotto, mozzarella, tomato sauce, pecorino, and er... eggplant. Tastes much yummier!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
BeardofPants said:
I prefer my eggplant bake recipe which is layers of italian (tomato) risotto, mozzarella, tomato sauce, pecorino, and er... eggplant. Tastes much yummier!
that sounds REALLY good.

Inkara1

I use the no-boil noodles and they don't taste gummy to me. They do require more sauce to be in the lasagna than "boil" noodles will.

My recipe:
16 or so no-boil noodles
Three cans Hunt's or Del Monte spaghetti sauce (whichever is under a buck a can)
One pound or so ground beef
A pound or so of cheese, usually cheddar or something like that, shredded

Crumble and brown the beef, drain
Pour the three cans of sauce over it, stir
Spread a layer of sauce/meat mix on bottom of lasagna pan, put four noodles on top of that, put on another layer of sauce/meat, then a layer of cheese, cover up with a little more sauce mix, then four noodles in opposite direction of first layer of noodles... you can sense the pattern from here. I don't like to put cheese on the very top because it sticks to the aluminum foil. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake in the oven at 350 for an hour.

Professur

BTW, (since you've a chance at getting the same brands) it's the black can of spagetti sauce, and the whole tomatos (with herbs). I'll post the brands tonight.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I could really use that. We had eggplant parmesan last week and I forgot how good eggplant + cheese is :D

The black one is Hunts Thick and Rich, I think. The zesty one. Too spicy for me. (wussy) But the tomatoes pasta and cheese should cut it enough with lots of bread. And the tomatoes with herbs is Aylmer.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
I use the no-boil noodles and they don't taste gummy to me. They do require more sauce to be in the lasagna than "boil" noodles will.

My recipe:
16 or so no-boil noodles
Three cans Hunt's or Del Monte spaghetti sauce (whichever is under a buck a can)
One pound or so ground beef
A pound or so of cheese, usually cheddar or something like that, shredded

Crumble and brown the beef, drain
Pour the three cans of sauce over it, stir
Spread a layer of sauce/meat mix on bottom of lasagna pan, put four noodles on top of that, put on another layer of sauce/meat, then a layer of cheese, cover up with a little more sauce mix, then four noodles in opposite direction of first layer of noodles... you can sense the pattern from here. I don't like to put cheese on the very top because it sticks to the aluminum foil. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake in the oven at 350 for an hour.
The cheese on top - I usually don't put it till the casserole is baked, then I take it out of the oven, take the lid off, throw more grated cheese on, and put it back in till that is melted.

I never miss an opportunity for more cheese.

Inkara1

Oh, I use plenty of cheese, don't owrry about that... I just don't like to put it on top because then it sticks to the foil and I end up with less cheese.