Life

Gaunt

I'm studying biology as my major, and this question pops up quite a bit: When does a life really begin?

Some people say at fertilization, others say some time between fertilization and birth, and a few think at birth.

What do you think?

***disclaimer: this is not a discussion about abortion***

Jeslek

Banned
Life begins at conception. When the sperm and the egg becomes one. That is the first cell of human life. Even killing that one cell is murder in my eyes.

I'm also wondering about this. For those that say life does not start at conception, but a baby when it is born IS alive, where does life start? If you say a baby just 1 minute before being born is not alive, why can't you get a late minute abortion just 1 minute before birth? Where is the line? Where is the millisecond that a baby turns from a tumorous growth into a living human being?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
at viability outside the womb. if one cannot live without moms umbilical cord or a machine, it ain't time to call it soup.

whoreable

LastLegionary said:
Life begins at conception. When the sperm and the egg becomes one. That is the first cell of human life. Even killing that one cell is murder in my eyes.

I'm also wondering about this. For those that say life does not start at conception, but a baby when it is born IS alive, where does life start? If you say a baby just 1 minute before being born is not alive, why can't you get a late minute abortion just 1 minute before birth? Where is the line? Where is the millisecond that a baby turns from a tumorous growth into a living human being?

wouldn't think one cell be almost exactly the same as one plant cell????

i think we caught you on this one!!!!! :) :) :)

Jeslek

Banned
whoreable said:
LastLegionary said:

Plants do not have souls. Neither do animals.

Gaunt

Personally, I think it's when creature (I didn't specify humans, but I guess that is the focus) begins to differentiate among their different cells. For instance, the stem cells begin to become more specialized and become brain tissue, epidermal tissue, etc.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
LastLegionary said:
whoreable said:
LastLegionary said:

If you don't think animals have souls, then what makes you so arrogant to believe that we do?

Jeslek

Banned
PuterTutor said:
LastLegionary said:
whoreable said:
LastLegionary said:

If you don't think animals have souls, then what makes you so arrogant to believe that we do?
Religion.

Now you can attack me all you want. I've said it. I'm now wide open and vulnerable.

whoreable

why did you try to convince us killing animals is so bad if you think they are soulless pieces of flesh?

:confuse2:

Jeslek

Banned
whoreable said:
why did you try to convince us killing animals is so bad if you think they are soulless pieces of flesh?

:confuse2:
I didn't say it is bad. I said I don't consider them food.

And don't hijack this thread, it is a very interesting one.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Ok, but I think your thought is flawed, In another thread, you base a soul on the fact that they are self-concious. My dogs are certainly self concious, and to answer another of your threads, I'd take a bullet for one of them faster than I would some of my friends. (I realize, this may mean I need new friends, but the dogs are more loyal).

Now as for the original question, Life begins not at conception, not at birth, but somewhere in between. At the point where the fetus COULD survive without the mother. Nothing miraculous, but not just plopped in a field somewhere either.

Jeslek

Banned
PuterTutor said:
Ok, but I think your thought is flawed, In another thread, you base a soul on the fact that they are self-concious. My dogs are certainly self concious
Look, then I did not quite write down what I believe. Its hard enough to translate with English being my third language, with words popping up in other languages that I can't easily translate. Now, I'm going to try to explain what I mean.

I believe humans are different from all other animals because they have a soul. They can reason, think, are self-conscious, and can distinguish between good and evil. Now those may not be sufficient reason, but lets throw in religion here and thats enough for me.

Below them are animals. Though animals are alive, and probably self-conscious, they cannot reason at our level, and they cannot think at our level.

Below them are plants. Yes they are alive. I don't think they are self-conscious though. Whether they are or not, they are different from humans, and they are different from animals.

I don't consider other humans food. And I don't consider other animals food (yes they may taste nice, but I avoid eating them). Plants on the other hand, I will eat.

Now leave me be. I won't argue anymore on the food thing. Take it to the other thread. Now back to our main programming which is where life beings.

Puter, so if live beings at a certain state, then of course at a certain state abortion has to be considered murder right? When is that? Its awfully hazy right now the way you explain it... And haziness isn't something I think should be there when we are talking about murdering innocent children.

I have a link that clearly sums up why I'm against abortion. If anyone wants it, PM me ok?