Lost a family member!

drkavnger99

I thought this may make me feel better after having downed a quarter of a bottle of bacardi rum.....

I lost what I feel is a family member today. My cat little kitty "nickname squirrel" died today. I had to use euthenasia because the suffering was so bad.. Her liver shutdown nearly completely followed by rapid weight loss. I awoke this morning to find her unable to walk without falling. :crying5: If anyone has ever made the choice of having an animal put to sleep knows the burning question. The question of "Could I have done more?". This question will haunt me for a very very long time.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm sorry, pets most certainly are part of the family, otherwise they'd just be animals.

If you made the call, you know it was better for her in the long run. Could you really live with yourself seeing her in such pain? I've had to put a dog down once, it was the toughest decision I ever made, but I'll never regret it.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:crying3: I just got home to find out one of our cats was killed by a Pit Bull this morning....We have 4 of her kittens. They were just weened....

Inkara1

My dad's old cat, Tom, had to be put down on 4/15/98. He had been as good as gone for a week or so, and in fact he kept trying to slip out so he could find a place to die. But it took my dad that long to let go and finally have the procedure done. He'd been a rather large kitty (18 pounds, and some was fat but a surprising amount was muscle), but by the time he finally was put to sleep his eyes slanted up because his face had shrunk so much (he was down to like 8 or 9 pounds).

He was a neat cat, too. When he'd purr, there was no bass to it at all. He adopted my dad, too. Dad was in the garden digging up potatoes, and this orange and white cat with a broken leg came out and started rubbing on him. We think he may have fallen out of a car on the freeway that went by the house we lived in at the time.

SIOUX

I had to have my old tom cat put down last year, it was devastating, we had him before we had our children, he was my friend and companion for 12 years, he had stomach cancer that was to bad to operate on, 'kinder for him' we were told, while I was crying and feeling 'but its not kinder for me'.
I'm glad now that he didn't suffer, but I know how hard it is.

chcr

Too cute for words
I've had to put down three dogs in my life, the first when I was 17 (my dad had died the year before, I was the only one who would make the decision). It's torn me up each time, but you have to do it. Oh, and of course it's a family member, drkavenger99. In fact, there are family members that I wouldn't mind losing as much (well, maybe not unless they've pissed me off recently). We've lost cats over the years too, but I've never had to put one to sleep. I usually start thinking about a replacement right away, but I take my time deciding.

greenfreak

I'm sorry. :(

Putting an animal down is so tough but so necessary at times too. The hardest part is letting go of your own need to keep them with you and put their needs first. I'm sure you did the right thing.

woodman19_99

I had to have my dog euthanised(sp?) last August. I feel the pain man. We had that dog for 13 yrs. It is easiest one of the worst pains EVER!

drkavnger99

Well thanks for the support everyone thats why I stick around here. PPL here care. I know in the end it was the right thing to do but in the most desperate situations the smallest chance of them making it brings hope... and yet I had to let go of my feelings for a time to come to the logical conclusion less 10% chance isn't really a chance its a sentence. This is the second animal we have put down the first was a dog I once had who was suffering from horrible arthritis and heart palputations at any loud noise. But that was my parents dog I was never too close to it and this was "my cat" so it was my decision.

Thanks everyone thanks alot!

AlladinSane

drkavnger99 said:
I thought this may make me feel better after having downed a quarter of a bottle of bacardi rum.....

I lost what I feel is a family member today. My cat little kitty "nickname squirrel" died today. I had to use euthenasia because the suffering was so bad.. Her liver shutdown nearly completely followed by rapid weight loss. I awoke this morning to find her unable to walk without falling. :crying5: If anyone has ever made the choice of having an animal put to sleep knows the burning question. The question of "Could I have done more?". This question will haunt me for a very very long time.

It haunted me for so long too. I had to put down my good friend 'Chiquinho', on Oct-18-1997. It was one of the worst days of my life. Words can't really express how much important that cat was for a lonely child like me. He entered my life when I had 8 and left when I was 25. I'm 31 now and still spent most of my life WITH him rather than without. But he had intestine cancer and when I remember his suffering I know I done the best thing. The vet said it was the best thing to do and asked us to leave the room as the procedure was done. But I asked to stay and held his head until the end. That memories will never left my mind, but I think I couldn't left him alone that moment. I still dream about him sometimes. That said, I don't regret anymore, and I wish God would have the mercy of not letting me suffer that way...
Cheers, drkavnger99 she's better now :hug:

Aunty Em

I'm sorry to hear that, I've had to do that a couple of times in the past for pet dogs and it isn't very nice. :(

HomeLAN

I've had to do it in the past, and it seriously sucks. However, it's sometimes simply what's best for your friend. Sorry for your loss.