Mac OS X

Inkara1

I'd really like it if they upgraded me to one of the new intel machines; those things supposedly fly from what others in the company have said. They PDF the pages pretty much instantly, too.

MrBishop

nalani said:
Oh wow, Inky ... it really is so much better to upgrade. I know they don't see it now but the time it saves in working - and the templates the newer version of Quark has as well as the toolboxes, are so much better. In Yearbook Productions I'm teaching the kids to use the entire Adobe Creative Suite (sunk a lot of money into it but it's so worth it). They're learning a lot about spacial concepts and math AND having a great time.
How's InDesignCS? I use PShopCS now and love it, but I havn't touched InDesign for about 1 year and it was v7 I think.

nalani

Inkara1 said:
I'd really like it if they upgraded me to one of the new intel machines; those things supposedly fly from what others in the company have said. They PDF the pages pretty much instantly, too.

When it comes to new mac stuff, I stay away from them for about a year or until the third version is out. Historically, they release stuff and fix kinks as they go along and I just don't have the time or patience for that :D

The newest baby I got is a 12" PowerBook .. 80G/1.5G RAM/SuperDrive ... moves beautifully and it's only a few pounds. I named her "Ecko" :D (she's a mini version of my 17" PowerBook)

nalani

MrBishop said:
How's InDesignCS? I use PShopCS now and love it, but I havn't touched InDesign for about 1 year and it was v7 I think.

I have Adobe Creative Suite 2 Pro for me and Creative Suite 2 for my students. It's expensive as hell but so worth it. It's amazing, actually. Super easy to use, especially if you're already used to InDesign and/or PageMaker. There are so many other things the kids can do with it too. It's just so funny that they don't realize how much they're learning about aesthetics, spacial concepts and math until I bring it to their attention. It's like my own personal "wax-on, wax-off" :D

Inkara1

This exact page:
Document: Done (8.526 secs)

That's Netscape 7.0. IE 5.5 won't work right with OTC or Cato's board, and Safari and Firefox won't run on OS 9.2. Netscape also doesn't take more than a minute to render the menus on this site like IE 5.5... but Netscape doesn't work right with the page we use to update the paper's web site.

MrBishop

nalani said:
I have Adobe Creative Suite 2 Pro for me and Creative Suite 2 for my students. It's expensive as hell but so worth it. It's amazing, actually. Super easy to use, especially if you're already used to InDesign and/or PageMaker. There are so many other things the kids can do with it too. It's just so funny that they don't realize how much they're learning about aesthetics, spacial concepts and math until I bring it to their attention. It's like my own personal "wax-on, wax-off" :D
I like Pagemaker and Quark..both excellent layout softwares. I've only used InDesign for living documents. The update text/images is something to see in action. Any new toys in it? PShopCS has the Healing Brush...which is fun to play with, as an example.

Inkara1

I should mention I'm on Quark 4.04... copyright 1998. A few of the computers here use 4.1 though.

I should mention though that Quark 4.04 is very good about its memory management. Photoshop 5.5 is a real memory hog and after I've been working on one or two big pictures I have to quit Photoshop and restart it to free up RAM.

MrBishop

Inkara1 said:
I should mention I'm on Quark 4.04... copyright 1998. A few of the computers here use 4.1 though.

I should mention though that Quark 4.04 is very good about its memory management. Photoshop 5.5 is a real memory hog and after I've been working on one or two big pictures I have to quit Photoshop and restart it to free up RAM.
PShopCS is surprisingly light on memory. Much faster than 6.5, which is what I was playing with before CS. I'd have to agree about 5 and 5.5's hogability. :p

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Given some of the discussions I've seen on this topic, I think anything's possible.
In that case...I'll put on the suit. Though I don't know why people have issues. There are MAC people and PC people.

Why can't we all get along? ;)

HomeLAN

It's like there are two nearly automatic ways to spark a flame war in geek-land. Get into either AMD vs. Inhel or Crapple vs. PC. 90% of the time, just getting into the subject is enough for the temps to rise 20 degrees.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Ok so im posting from my IBM thinkpad from osx10.4.5 and safari. So far not to bad. I have managed to connect to my network and all the fun stuff.
:)

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
OK so im in safari now, but man the site is weird looking. is anyone else experiencing this?
And is there and free browsers for the mac i can test?
Thanks

nalani

The site looks the same for me regardless of the browser I'm using ... Opera, Firefox or Safari.

Congrats on the installation though, Sammy ... how do you like it so far?