mange

kuulani

*grr* The neighbor's dog has mange (I think) and I think it passed to my puppy! I would go and yell at the neighbor, but he's not home, he's been away for a few weeks visiting his girlfriend on another island and his dog is unleashed and "adopted" my house.

The "neighbor" in question is my nephew, a 19-yo college student. I hate his dog. His dog is constantly under my house (it's a post-and-pier) or sitting on my parked car or eating my shoes. *grr*

Should I wait for my nephew to come back, or is it alright for me to drag his mangy dog to the pound?

(Plus, my nephew is leaving for college in CA in a few weeks, he's said that he's leaving the dog home with us - I told him if he does, it's off to the pound. This boy doesn't deserve a dog, he totally abandons it).

JJR512

If you suspect the animal has a health problem, by all means contact the appropriate authorities. The dog might be passing it to other animals, both tame and wild, other than yours.

A.B.Normal

If you suspect the animal has a health problem, by all means contact the appropriate authorities. The dog might be passing it to other animals, both tame and wild, other than yours.

And its suffering itself in the process.Take your puppy to the vet and tell the Vet of your concerns they can probably advise better as well as give an authoritative voice that may quell a backlash from the nephews immediate relatives .

JJR512

You are right; apparently, I gave about as much thought to the animal itself as its owner seems to.

kuulani

And its suffering itself in the process.Take your puppy to the vet and tell the Vet of your concerns they can probably advise better as well as give an authoritative voice that may quell a backlash from the nephews immediate relatives .

Backlash from his parents you mean? I told them that I was going to send that dog to the pound ... they can take it to their house if they want it :wave2:

Professur

He's a nephew, which makes either his mum or dad a relative. While a neighbour might be entitled to half a chance, family should already know better. Mom or Dad picks it up, post haste, or it has an unfortunate run in with Mr. Goodyear.

kuulani

It's confirmed ... my puppy has mange :(
And my husband who had to hold my puppy in the vet has mange *poke*

Damn nephew's dog.

kuulani

It's not ... my husband is pissed and already ripped my nephew a new a$$hole *poke*

I don't know if it's called "mange" in people, but my husband called me after the vet and said he has a rash. My husband is totally worried about the dog infecting our kids.

JJR512

Mange is a skin infection most commonly occurring in dogs and other canines. It is a parasitic infection by mites that causes hair loss and itching. It can occur in other mammals, but isn't called "mange" when humans get it. The human variant is called "demodicosis".

nalani

I so do not heart that dog ... is our nephew home or did your hubby call his cell and rip him a new one from 2000 miles away? :D

kuulani

I so do not heart that dog ... is our nephew home or did your hubby call his cell and rip him a new one from 2000 miles away? :D

someone said they spotted him last night at gramma's house ... but ahiena ripped into him on the cell as soon as he got home from the vet.

nalani

I haven't seen him in weeks but I know Hui came and got his truck from the gramma's house.

Yeah - that dog gotta go .. I cannot get infected with that crap ... poor Ehuehu .. does she have meds? Should I send her home if I see her at my house? Awww .. I don't wanna - I heart your puppy!

kuulani

I'll keep you updated on her treatment, but yeah, Ahiena doesn't want our kids near the dog, so I would say keep your kids (ALL of them) away too.