Marshall plan in Europe. Nice thing or who gives a shit?

ol' man

I was wondering if anyone in Europe even considers the nice things we have done for it? One for instance is the marshall plan.

We like first rescued most of Europe in 2 world wars and then gave them 13 billion dollars. This was in the late 1940's. Anyone have a estimate what that would equal to now?

Individual coutnries.

Marshall Plan Expenditures

Economic Assistance, April 3, 1948 to June 30, 1952
(in millions of dollars)

COUNTRY....................... Total Grants Loans
Total for all countries $13,325.8 $11,820.7 $1,505.1

Austria 677.8 677.8 --
Belgium-Luxembourg 559.3 491.3 68.0a
Denmark 273.0 239.7 33.3
France 2,713.6 2,488.0 225.6
Germany, Federal Republic of 1,390.6 1,173.7 216.9b
Greece 706.7 706.7 --
Iceland 29.3 24.0 5.3
Ireland 147.5 19.3 128.2
Italy (including Trieste) 1,508.8 1,413.2 95.6
Netherlands (*East Indies)c 1,083.5 916.8 166.7
Norway 255.3 216.1 39.2
Portugal 51.2 15.1 36.1
Sweden 107.3 86.9 20.4
Turkey 225.1 140.1 85.0
United Kingdom 3,189.8 2,805.0 384.8

Regional 407.0d 407.0d --

Notes:

Loan total includes $65.0 million for Belgium and $3.0 million for Luxembourg: grant detail between the two countries cannot be identified.

Includes an original loan figure of $16.9 million, plus $200.0 million representing a pro-rated share of grants converted to loans under an agreement signed February 27, 1953.

Marshall Plan aid to the Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia) was extended through the Netherlands prior to transfer of sovereignty on December 30, 1949. The aid totals for the Netherlands East Indies are as follows:
Total $101.4 million, Grants $84.2 million, Loans $17.2 million.

Includes U.S. contribution to the European Payments Union (EPU) capital fund, $361.4 million; General Freight Account, $33.5 million; and European Technical Assistance Authorizations (multi-country or regional), $12.1 million.

Statistics & Reports Division
Agency for International Development
November 17, 1975

More here for a better explanation.
http://www.marshallfoundation.org/about_gcm/marshall_plan.htm

I can see why they hate us and why americans should be ashamed to goto Europe. What assholes we are.

ris

so when can we clear the debt then? 100 years, 150? you tell us and we'll remain nicely cowed until then.

chcr

Too cute for words
so when can we clear the debt then? 100 years, 150? you tell us and we'll remain nicely cowed until then.
I'm afraid that's probably the feeling of most. Ever help out an in-law or such? I have, and the response is startlingly similar. Maybe it's human nature?

flavio

Banned
It's probably like anything else. People appreciate the nice things and get annoyed with the bad things.

You may have a friend who loans you money and gives you rides to the airport, but when he screws your girlfriend you're still going to be pissed.

ol' man

The reason why history repeats its self is cause young shits forget about stuff that happend not to far in the distant past. You think 60 years is that long ago in human history?

I just think it is odd that only 60 years ago 55 million dead were layed out across Europe/asia in WWII.

Now it is like

Uhhhh duhhhhhhhh "World War What?"

There was a war?

In order to win that damnable war the shithead Europeans started we had to become a world power?

I have not forgotten. My grandparents make sure I don't forget.

How often do you talk to your grandparents ris?

ol' man

flavio said:
It's probably like anything else. People appreciate the nice things and get annoyed with the bad things.

You may have a friend who loans you money and gives you rides to the airport, but when he screws your girlfriend you're still going to be pissed.

Okay then what have we done to Europe lately that is equatable to "screwing your girlfreind?"

chcr

Too cute for words
The reason why history repeats its self is cause young shits forget about stuff that happend not to far in the distant past.
I believe you have hit the nail firmly on the head there, sir. I always like to say that people rarely learn from their own mistakes, and never from the mistakes of others, but I think yours is more to the point.

ol' man

ol' man said:
flavio said:

Okay then what have we done to Europe lately that is equatable to "screwing your girlfreind?"

Since none of the US hating Europeans answered this I will give it a shot.

1.) We didn't sign the Kyoto treaty. (IMHO is BS anyway. I am a Geochem major and if you want to get into the chemistry and physics of it we will. All started with Margret Thatcher the Milk Snatcher, look it up)

2.) We stoped funding overseas abortions?

3.) We support Israel and since alot of the European countries are quite anti-semetic(they killed at least 6 million of them) I can see why they hate us too.

4.) They think the UN/EU is the absolute power. They think the US is no longer sovergn and we should do what they say.

5.) We have a monopoly on oil? We start wars to steal other peoples oil.(IMHO is also wrong, see reason #3 which is the true reason. The UN won't stick up for Israel so some one has too. If we hadn't helped Israel they would no longer be a people and probably most of them would be dead. But like I said earlier alot of Europe probably wishes this onto the Jews. France, Germany, Russia,.. etc...) Anyone have the statistics of how much Israel bites into the European economy and takes a large chunk for themselves? Aha maybe we have uncovered something here. If Israel and the US were out of the way Europe could make alot more cash?

6.) We will execute convicted murders.(Maybe we should simply send them to Europe and let them pay for their life sentence.)

7.) We have a pretty decent standard of living and money and education are quite easily acquired.

8.) Every Man, women and child drive SUVS. (Not true, I own a toyota tercel. I am pretty sure alot of SUV's get the same milage as my tercel.)

Pretty good reasons to totally disregard all the good we have done for you during the first half of the 20th century.

On the other hand we would not be the world power if you would not have had all the pointless wars you had. That must be it. The US was the one who started WWI and WWII. Must be a conspiracy.

ol' man

I also found some more reasons why they hate us. Seems we have more people owning microwave ovens and dishwashers percapita than all of europe.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0193913.html

I guess we also have more televisions, radio's, and personal computers also than anyone in europe. Ohh the jealousy they must have.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0193913.html

One last reason Europe hates the US. The combined GDP of
Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, France, UK, Belgium, Denmark, and Finland equates to 5.976 trillion while the US has a single GDP of 9.96 trillion in 2000.

Ohh the loathing they must have. No wonder they can barely buy their way out of a paper bag:D

Aunty Em

I would say it's pretty conceited of you to assume you've only done good by Europe in the last 60 years. As I recall most things offered come with bells attached. It's also pretty conceited to assume YOU know what WE think.

ol' man

Aunty Em said:
I would say it's pretty conceited of you to assume you've only done good by Europe in the last 60 years. As I recall most things offered come with bells attached. It's also pretty conceited to assume YOU know what WE think.

Well then speak up squeaker and do tell of all the atrocities the US has inflicted on Europe. Also the bells would be appreciated also. I am curious as to why you hate us.

Come on justintime, aunty squeaker.... etc... Any red blooded us HATER SPEAK UP.......Ris???????

Please explain what the US has done to Europe for it to hate US so?

Some how I do not feel that the 6 million jews killed were all hitlers idea.

I gave you guys a couple days to answer why you hate the US so do tell. If you do not i will keep assuming.

Aunty Em

Actually, I would say by your behaviour it's YOU that has the feelings of "hate". Why would I hate something I normally don't even think about? I have better things to do with my time then wind myself up over every imagined slight that someone of foreign extraction may or may not have perpetrated against my country.

So you've got a few more toys to play with, so what? That only matters to someone who gives a shit about material posessions - frankly all they do is make you paranoid about some jerk trying to steal them from you. If you want to keep up with the jones's fine, but don't include me, I prefer a more laid back existance - I don't care how old the chair is so long as it's comfortable. And do all these posessions make you happy? Obviously not by the look of things... :lol:

Being a loudmouthed showoff doesn't depend on ones nationality...

ris

well, i was gonna ring my gran and ask her what happened in the war but i'm too busy watching us tv shows. maybe i'll get over to her when the simpsons is finished. :hairbang:

ol' man

ris said:
well, i was gonna ring my gran and ask her what happened in the war but i'm too busy watching us tv shows. maybe i'll get over to her when the simpsons is finished. :hairbang:

Maybe give mum a call also.